Vermeer disc mower

/ Vermeer disc mower #1  

dngranch

Tractor
82 ford 6610
I have a Vermeer 7040 Disc Mower that is only 3 and 2months old and on the third set of blades. It started pulling the tractor down and then would release. Took it in to the Dealer and was told that the belt pulley going to the shaft connected to the Gear box came loose and wallowed out the key way on the shaft so both it and the shaft have to be replaced. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

/ Vermeer disc mower #2  
I bet you have one, a fire ant problem (disc mowers and fie ant hills don't get along well). If you are running high lift knives, I suggest going to a flatter knife (they come in a couple configurations). I get mine from Shoup. USA made and Shoup offers 2 different angles. I use the high lift knives here but I don't have a fire ant hill issue either. Shoup is about 1/2 the price for knives that your dealer charges btw.

Not familiar with Vermeer, there aren't any around here, only JD and NH and a smattering of Kubota (Vicon) mowers. I have a NH and my belt is under constant tension, I have a spring loaded idler (much like the idler on an automotive serpentine belt). My drive belt is a siamesed 5 section V belt with a one piece top cover. I've never replaced it not have I had any issues with my drive sheave from the right angle gearbox. My main drive pulley has a collet type lock on it with 3 bolts and they are safety wired so they don't loosen up.

If it's that new it should be under warranty. Did you inquire from your dealer as to if they would provide you with a loaner machine?

/ Vermeer disc mower
Dealer doesn't have a loaner and it is 3 months out of warranty. I will look into a flatter knife. Sounds like NH has there act together.

/ Vermeer disc mower #4  
Dealer doesn't have a loaner and it is 3 months out of warranty. I will look into a flatter knife. Sounds like NH has there act together.

Wow. If I lived closer I'd loan you my backup machine.

Check out Shoup. They are online and will send you a print catalog if you request one. Nice folks to deal with and have a ton of parts too. You want a flat non serrated knife. I buy a couple sets at a time. I think (not absolutely) sure that the per knife price is around $1.50 per and they have the hold down bolts and the special nuts too. Get my rake tines and pickup fingers from them too. Had a terrible time finding rake tines for my H&S but they have them and at a good price too.

I've had no problems with the NH discbine at all other than getting poly wrapped around under the turtles from cutting a field I normally don't do. Poly will ruin seals and bearings right now. When I got done cutting that field, first thing I did was check under the turtles and sure enough, first one I pulled had poly under it so I pulled them all. been my experience that if you pick up any poly, the outboard heads will always get the poly under them for some reason so I check an outboard head first, usually the farthest from the drive side because it's the easiest to take off.

Good luck with your issues. Nothing worse that a broken machine. Why I keep a backup in the barn, just in case. It's a green one though.....lol

/ Vermeer disc mower #5  
dngranch
Have you considered contacting Vermeer Co directly??????? Are you stating your cutter is 3 yrs & 2 months old?? Sounds as if the hub on the drive sheave on gearbox shaft wasn't correctly installed. I once owned a Vermeer M7040 & had to remove that sheave to replace a failed brg & it was on the shaft TIGHT. When one mentions fire ants in Texas one shouldn't forget gophers either.

/ Vermeer disc mower
Thanks for the info I have a shoup catalog. I have contacted Vermeer and they stated that the dealer who is working on it has to contact them. Yes it is 3yrs and 2 months old. They called Vermeer and told me that they won't cover it. I then called them and they said there is no service ticket on the cutter. I now have to get back to the dealer and make sure they gave them the serial number so a ticket can be generated. If Vermeer doesn't cover this I will not be buying anything else from them. I bought new so I wouldn't have this problem. Hard enough trying to get the machine to pay for itself without making payments and repair bills. Bitter pill for sure.