Comparison Vertical vs radius lift? Which is better?

/ Vertical vs radius lift? Which is better? #1  

JRP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800
I'm looking at track loaders and skid steers. Bobcat has equipment with both radius lift (single pivot for lift arms) and vertical lift with a complex linkage. What is your opinion of the two, which is better? I listed the (A) advantages and (D) disadvantages of the two designs that I could think of. What did I miss? Any other ideas?

Radius lift:
A Lower initial cost, A easier maintenance, A less slop initially due to fewer pin connections, A less slop in linkage with wear, D does not lift vertical, so precise hole boring involves front back movement of the machine. D lower lift capacity because lift moves further outward. D less lift height.

Vertical lift
A greater lift capacity, A greater lift height, A vertical lift path, D more expensive, D more maintenance, D more slop due to more pins.

I guess my biggest concern would be the slop in pins. Is that a real concern?

JRP

/ Vertical vs radius lift? Which is better? #2  
It is a concern if you are going to keep this machine for a lot of hours.

What are you going to do with this machine is the real question?

General construction you would want the vertical lift. Because one day you are loading a truck the next you are moving pallets. It's a much more versital machine.
I recommend this for farm use as well.

Dirt work? A standard/radius lift all day. You can just flat out move more dirt with a radius boom machine. You can hog better and cut grade better. The vertical lift will have slop no matter what and all that little movement is a pain in the but when cutting grade. I HATE doing dirt work with a vertical lift machine.

What do I own? A 773g with vertical lift lol. But it will see it all on the farm and side jobs.

/ Vertical vs radius lift? Which is better? #3  
I have had 2 vertical lifts (Bobcat 873 and S300) and 1 radial lift. I like the vertical lifts better. Main reason is for pallet forks and PHD. I also have tree spade and vertical lift is much better. Radial lift really more difficult for both tasks but it can be done. Vertical lifts are nice if near confined areas such as next to buildings, trucks ect. Don't have to worry about the swing when raising the boom. Few more grease zerks with vertical, but otherwise worked well for me. Radial lift a bit nicer for loading the bucket full because the natural swing forward when lifting.
I think vertical lifts also have more forward reach at full height. Vertical lift will have better resale, but also cost more up front.

/ Vertical vs radius lift? Which is better? #4  
Couldn't agree more with Keller and Radman! Radius lift diggin. Very rugged and simple. Vert. lift, better all around machine. You may not think that a few inches matters (forward reach) but tell me that when your loading a tall truck or piling up brush in the burn pile or stockpiling dirt. Check with the old lady about a few inches!:laughing::laughing:

/ Vertical vs radius lift? Which is better? #5  
vertical lift will add value to your operations if you expect do a significant amount of material handling (e.g. pallets).