Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves?

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves?
Wow,thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it. I can only tell you how silly I felt asking that question but we've,(my youngest guy and I), have talked about taking this class forever. We're excited and want to get into the welding with the right equipment. I've been looking at some of the various brands/equipment but wanted ops from the folks actually doing it and using the products. Thanks again.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #12  
You cannot beat Tilman Onyx series gloves.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #13  
After the leather gloves get hard from the heat, can they be softened up like new again?

I have a habit of resting a new rod on my index finger to steady the rod while I strike an ark and often don't remove it soon enough.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #14  
The Tilman onyx stick gloves don't get hard from my experience, if they do, they soon relax. I wore them nearly everyday for a year. A grinder finally got them.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #15  
I usually buy the Hobart gloves at Tractor Supply. I have never owned a pair long enough to wear them out. Dog gets in the shop and always goes for the left hand glove. Doesnt bother the right hand one. Got a drawer full of right handed gloves without mates. For heavy stick welding, I like the Tillman. They seem to hold up to the heat better, but they also sell thinner ones that aint much better than the cheap hobart brands. Like everybody suggests, go to the store and try all the different ones on and buy what feels best to you.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #16  
Regardless of the brand, try on several different pairs to find one that is the most comfortable for you. All gloves are handmade so the stitching is a little different on each one and might be a little off on some which will make them a bit stiffer or binding usually at the little finger.
This is good advice in my opinion... try them on and make sure you have a good feel and dexterity. I am new to this game but I am not having any problem with HF gloves. Don't get hung up on brand... especially when it comes to gloves and other accessories. What might feel comfortable for you might not work for your son. Part of the fun is picking out what you like on stuff like this.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #17  
I was bout to ask a similar question. But here is the deal. For whatever reason when I stick weld I tend to burn the index finger (the one next to the thumb) so baddly I burn through the leather gloves. I have gone through a number of sets of gloves. I saw some sort of metal shield that slides over the finger, looks like something for tig work. Wondering if I am the only idiot who does this and if not, does anyone have suggestions. Last time I ended up blistering the top of that finger from the heat.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #18  
I really like Tillman gloves. I prefer the tig gloves if I'm going to weld all day, because I can move easier. I use the driver gloves a lot too. The Tillman gloves hold up better and the leather is great. I have only had a few pair with odd uncomfortable stitching.
I wear Carhartt western snap shirts. Line dried, Heavy starched. Never really cared for lapco fit, never wore Rasco. Wrangler shirts don't last as long but they are less expensive. Never used those green jackets, so I have no opinion. Certain occasions I have used a sleeve in addition to shirt, left sleeve always wears more. My wife sews my caps. I prefer the bills to be lined with burlap, so they have some structure and not just floppy.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #19  
I was bout to ask a similar question. But here is the deal. For whatever reason when I stick weld I tend to burn the index finger (the one next to the thumb) so baddly I burn through the leather gloves. I have gone through a number of sets of gloves. I saw some sort of metal shield that slides over the finger, looks like something for tig work. Wondering if I am the only idiot who does this and if not, does anyone have suggestions. Last time I ended up blistering the top of that finger from the heat.

Maybe you need a tig finger"?

TIG Finger Heat Shield - - Amazon.com

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #20  
One thing about the Tilman Onyx stick gloves...They are sensitive enough to use for general TIG, but heat just doesn't seem to get through them. It's one of the "must see to believe" things I know. But I don't make a dime off them, and I can't say enough about them. All the ones I have had don't have a lining either,(stick), and they have a "cool to the feel" touch, but linings never last and always the first to go. Of course, they do get warm, but I've never blistered anything, and I've use some heat, all positions, all processes with them.