Very cool grapple attachment right in my back yard

/ Very cool grapple attachment right in my back yard #21  
Jim,

There is at least one other alternative to consider. Junkman has a prototype and posted photos about 2 months ago. The company is American Solutions. American Solutions Small Grapple

Jeff Simon, owner of the company is making some modifications to allow the grapple to fit on small buckets of various widths. His base unit is intended for BX loaders, but the new version will allow for variations.

The 2 features of this design especially made for sub-compacts that I consider important are: (1) It only weighs 80 pounds, and (2) It can be removed and attached very quickly.

I am having one made for my Ventrac Versa-Loader. Don't be scared off by the price since it includes the valve and hydraulic connections needed by the BX. You wouldn't need them on your PT.

JackIL

/ Very cool grapple attachment right in my back yard #22  
i don't think the lm. bucket is stong enough to do that. you will need some major changes to make it strong enough to hold tines that are the length you have in the drawing.

/ Very cool grapple attachment right in my back yard #23  
It looks like what you are interested in doing is mounting an ATI bolt-on grapple to one of their 48 inch flat tine manure rakes - Yes? From ATI web site weights are 335 lbs (bucket) and 131 lbs (grapple).

<font color="red"> IS there anything else out there like this? </font>

There is a fellow that sells a similar grapple rake attachment for skid steers. eBay grapple rake I believe that the his grapple rake can be had for somewhere arround $1000 or less. He fabricates them and indicates that he can modify to suit user needs. If you contact him he might be able to fab a smaller (cheaper?) one to fit your PT (his standard one is 72 inch). I have seen it reported in the customization forum Grapple Thread that the ATI grapple is about $700. With the cost of the manure tine rake added, it might be worth it for you to check out the eBay guy.

Looking at the pic on the power trac web site of their grapple bucket it sure looks like a light material bucket with a ATI type grapple welded on and some teeth on the bottom. Sounds like you have 2 out of the three pieces already (bucket and toothbar). Bolt a grapple on and go! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck on your search.

John M

/ Very cool grapple attachment right in my back yard #24  
"" the pic on the power trac web site of their grapple bucket it sure looks like a light material bucket ""

NO!!
BangHead.gif
The PT-425 Grapple Bucket is based upon the PT Rock & Dirt Bucket which is smaller but much more heavy duty!

The picture of the Grapple Bucket on the Power Trac web page is of the old out of production model!

The current PT-425 Grapple Bucket is built from the PT Rock & Dirt Bucket with PT Rock Teeth and looks like this>>>>

Grapple_TBN.jpg

PS: White Teeth and Fangs are optional at extreme Extra Cost!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

AAA_smiley__.jpg

PPS: The PT Grapple Bucket is very strong!! In this picture that 18' log was clamped between just one tooth and one fang, and dragged several hundred feet through the woods, with no ill effects!!
LogPullerTBN.jpg

The log pivoted between the tooth and fang to make maneuvering it easy!

Wink.jpg

/ Very cool grapple attachment right in my back yard #25  
Jim,

Any grapple will enhance the versitility of your machine for many tasks.

ATI makes good stuff and their grapple attachment would be a quality unit I am sure. It may be heavier than you need and take away from your limited lift capabilty on a 425 size machine though.

That light weight unit from American Solutions that JackIL mentioned looks like it would be well matched to your PT. You might also see if PT would sell you the componants or kit for their grapple such that a local welder would only have to weld the mounting ears onto your bucket.

I have been using a 5' light weight (still around 500 lbs) AnBo Grapple Rake on my 1845. It is very well built and will never be the weak link on my set up. In retrospect, I could have gone with the regular 5' model for a bigger "grab" of bruch and slash. They do make a 4' model that they show on a Toro Dingo which may be suitable for a 425 as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose.... a grapple of most any type will be quite helpful.

/ Very cool grapple attachment right in my back yard
Veyr nice, and exactly what ATI is doing but lighter and the forks look like they spread across the width of the bucket.

I emailed them for some additional information. The 30+ pounds savings is a plus. ATI has a big advantage in that they are very close to my house. I could drive my PT over there if I had to. THis saves on shipping.

I would really like to find out what the PT grapple bucket weighs. I'm going to call Scott tomorrow. TThe PT forks look lighter duty than the the ATI and this company, so they might be lighter.

It would be worth finding out if they are much lighter, would they ship a set to me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Very cool grapple attachment right in my back yard
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you haven't already looked, you may get some ideas from Anbo. They make a grapple rake small enough for a mini skid steer.
Anbo )</font>

Thanks Charlie. Since I have never used a grapple rake before, I am not entirely sure which is better, the tines, or the rake type of setup like Anbo has. I can see that you could literally rake the ground of small sticks and such as you push forward and then pick that up. That is a pretty cool advantage.

I really do not want another bucket and after hearing the advice on here, I think my LM bucket is a little too "light" for this application.

I will be hauling a few logs as Fourteen has pointed out, but if I am going to spend over $1000, I don't want to do it to get another bucket.

I will call thouse guys tomorrow too.

Man, I have a few calls to make tomorrow, thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif