Very light duty "real" forks

/ Very light duty "real" forks
OK, to Ken's point, I am going to change the topic of this thread to

"How do I cut a fork in half lengthwise" with the inferred adder: "Without taking forever or screwing up the heat treating"

As I mentioned, I have forks right now that I could cut in half, but I could not think of a good way to do this.

Torch is sloppy and I would think screw up the heat treating as I sliced up the 1.5 thick (or so) "thick end"

Plasma cutter will only cut to 3/4"

Swing the band saw vertical and muddle my way through?

To end up with a clean solution, I like the band saw idea, but how long would that take?

/ Very light duty "real" forks #12  
I'd have to ask ask Henry sometime, but I could not see it taking forever. Those zip cut blades are only .040 thick and his job looked factory. I'd guess between 1 and 2 hours
If a band saw will survive cutting it that could work for most of it
Ken

/ Very light duty "real" forks #13  
I have no idea. But I bet you'll get some crazy suggetions if you start a new thread, "How do I cut a forklift fork in half ?"

Good luck,
John

/ Very light duty "real" forks #14  
I used my forks for a saw horse until I sawed about half way through one fork with a skillsaw with a carbide blade in it. Might give that a try.

/ Very light duty "real" forks #15  
bx24 said:
OK, to Ken's point, I am going to change the topic of this thread to

"How do I cut a fork in half lengthwise" with the inferred adder: "Without taking forever or screwing up the heat treating"

As I mentioned, I have forks right now that I could cut in half, but I could not think of a good way to do this.

Torch is sloppy and I would think screw up the heat treating as I sliced up the 1.5 thick (or so) "thick end"

Plasma cutter will only cut to 3/4"

Swing the band saw vertical and muddle my way through?

To end up with a clean solution, I like the band saw idea, but how long would that take?

I made a couple of sets of the forks in the photo. They weigh 180#, and
I sacrificed length and adjustability to get lower weight. I started with fork
tines that were 36" long and 1 3/4" thick. They weighed about 100# ea. I
first welded hooks on the top to hang them from the bkt of my L2550,
after welding a chunk of 1x1 steel to the top of the bkt. I improved on
that by making the frame in the photo. I paid a steel distributor to cut
the tines length-wise using their industrial plasma table, but they could not
cut the elbow part. A friend finished off the elbow cut with his 14" gas-
powered abrasive saw. There was no problem with the heat. This steel
is a very tough alloy that does not even rust.

Now, if I did another set, I would prob try one of those low-speed steel
circular saws (Evolution) with carbide-tipped blades.

Attachments

• L25xx_forks.jpg
    L25xx_forks.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 321
   / Very light duty "real" forks #17  
LBrown59 said:
Check out pains forks.
I like my clamp ons.

I have the pains forks (northern tool sells them or on line from pains) and use them on by B7510 FEL. The Good: They go on and off fast, very well built, plenty strong for what the bucket can lift. The Bad: Further from lift point, clamp screws dent bucket, no real vertical surface to tilt the load back against, forks angle left and right if you try to nudge things sidewards with them, like lining up a pallet. I was going to weld up a stub to accept a 2x4 for each fork to form the back rest. If you can go the quick change route haveing the load closer to the lift point would be better. Overall the $300 was well spent on the pains forks bacause I got them immediatly and they do the job.

/ Very light duty "real" forks #18  
dfkrug said:
I made a couple of sets of the forks in the photo. They weigh 180#, and
I sacrificed length and adjustability to get lower weight. I started with fork
tines that were 36" long and 1 3/4" thick. They weighed about 100# ea. I
first welded hooks on the top to hang them from the bkt of my L2550,
after welding a chunk of 1x1 steel to the top of the bkt. I improved on
that by making the frame in the photo. I paid a steel distributor to cut
the tines length-wise using their industrial plasma table, but they could not
cut the elbow part. A friend finished off the elbow cut with his 14" gas-
powered abrasive saw. There was no problem with the heat. This steel
is a very tough alloy that does not even rust.

Now, if I did another set, I would prob try one of those low-speed steel
circular saws (Evolution) with carbide-tipped blades.

I have one of those 'slow' speed milwaukee 8" metal cutting hand held circular saws. The blades run about $45, the saw with a blade is $300ish. One blade cuts a very long time until you pinch the cut or hit a piece of rock, like the floor of the garage. With a straight edge to guide the saw, cutting through 1/4 steel is very fast, like cutting 3/4 plywood. Cutting through 3/4 mild steel is fairly fast, like few sec per inch. Overheating the tool is a problem for long cuts on heavy material (over 3/8 inch) so plan on a cooling off time. The point of this is that if the tines are not too hard, ie, wreck the carbide right away, I would clamp the tine to a sheet of plywood, clamp on a wood straight edge to guide the saw then expect a great looking straight cut down the middle of the tine in a few mins with no heating of the blade. If the tine is too hard, the blade will overheat fast then turn to a shower of sparks. I have cut up to 2" thick steel with this saw. I have also cut down snow plow wear edges that appeared to have some hardness to them without any issues. Overall, if you don't have access to a saw or heavy duty plasma cutter the idea of using a gas powered abrasive saw sounds like the cheapest option. If you keep flooding the tine with water during the cut, the heat affected zone of the cut should stay close to the cut, ie, not weaken the tine much. Personally, I am no good at cutting straight with gas cut off machines.

/ Very light duty "real" forks
dfkrug

What did they get you for the "plasma cut" at the local shop?

That would seem to be the best way to go. If I were to go the other routes, buying the small set already made would seem to work out better. I like having additional tools, but the Milwaukee saw would probably sit in my shop too much to justify.

Either way, it will be a fun project ... thanks for all the ideas (and keep'em commin!)

/ Very light duty "real" forks #20  
bx24 said:
What did they get you for the "plasma cut" at the local shop?

I paid a very expensive structural steel seller (PDM) $100 to cut all
but the right angle on one tine. That was nearly 10 y ago. You might
do better to shop around local steel fab shops, but I needed to cut
thru 1.75" of steel. My plasma cutter is only 40A, and good for 3/4" max.

You can get the Evolution saw with blade for $100 from HF Tools.