Very simple fence unroller build

/ Very simple fence unroller build #1  

sdef

Platinum Member
Tractor
2013 Kioti DK45SE HST
I am building a 72" woven wire horse fence with two top wires for 7' total height to keep the pesky deer and predators out. Since the deer feel the wife's new garden and new fruit trees are part of a restaurant menu, I decided to put up a temporary 6' tall fence around her most important items until I can finish the main fence.

I got this fence unroller idea from a youtube video by "Repairman Jared" and did not find an identical unit on a TBN search. So thought I would post. It is very simple and effective. Took me about 30 min. to construct out of materials I had at the house and works perfectly. Tested it last night using the lightweight, plastic temporary fencing and it was a pleasure to use. We installed the fence by having the tractor stationary and manually pulling and unrolling the fence from the roll, along with anchoring the free end of the roll and moving the tractor slowly along the fence line with the fence roll unrolling.

I was very pleased with how simple and effective this design is and how much labor and frustration it will save. I will also use the bare wood platform base to set the spinning jenny on with its center ground spike to unroll that wire while on the ground.

Materials:

- 3/4" plywood base with 1/2" hole in the center.
- 3/8" rope
- pipe
- Barbed wire carrying/unroller handle with a rotating joint to ensure the rope does not get twisted. But in my test of the lightweight, plastic fencing, the fencing rotated on top of the plywood base with no twisting of the rope. When used with a 200 - 300 pound roll of fencing I imagine the swivel action will be required.

_EM51204.JPG_EM51203.JPG_EM51200.JPG_EM51199.JPG

/ Very simple fence unroller build #2  
Did something similar for unrolling field wire fencing. Piece of 2" pipe welded to a piece of 1/4" plate, welded to piece of 2" square tubing to go in receiver hitch attachment. (Have several other things, like a potato hiller, I use the hitch attachment for).

To load wire, raise lift all the way up, release top link so the center pipe goes horizontal, load roll on pipe, lower lift and pivot roll back up to attach top link.

ry%3D400

/ Very simple fence unroller build #3  
I looked at the one's at TSC, then headed to a local scrap yard that gets new cut off pieces you could buy for scrap price. I didn't need it to stretch the fence, just unroll it. Rolls of fence came on a pallet, so just walked them on the platform, and stuck the center pipe down through, and was ready to go.

Took about 4-5 hours to build, including coffee and smoke breaks. Primer & paint was left over from another project. Total cost was less than $25.

Attachments

• Fence Unroller 001.jpg
    Fence Unroller 001.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 7,262
   / Very simple fence unroller build
TnAndy and DJ54: You two have each built nice unrollers that will last forever :). Looks like we are all using Red-Brand fence. The best thing available in my area and available at TSC. The big box stores did not have what I wanted.

/ Very simple fence unroller build #5  
Did something similar for unrolling field wire fencing. Piece of 2" pipe welded to a piece of 1/4" plate, welded to piece of 2" square tubing to go in receiver hitch attachment. (Have several other things, like a potato hiller, I use the hitch attachment for).

To load wire, raise lift all the way up, release top link so the center pipe goes horizontal, load roll on pipe, lower lift and pivot roll back up to attach top link.

ry%3D400

I did something very similar. I used my truck mounted hay spear. I just placed the rolled on the spear and lifted to vertical position then off to the races.

/ Very simple fence unroller build #6  
If it works, it works. :thumbsup:

/ Very simple fence unroller build #7  
I just strung some field fence that looks like a nice tool. I used a Coffin hoist because it has swivel hooks on both ends and hooked the bottom hook to a 4 way wheel wrench with the chain running through the center of the roll and the top of the hoist to my loader bucket lip it worked great. My method is not as nice as your tool but it got the job done.

Mike

/ Very simple fence unroller build #8  
Pretty cool!

/ Very simple fence unroller build #9  
oh very pictures
thank you for sharing with us your information