VERY VERY COLD

/ VERY VERY COLD #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
TEMP GOT TO -2 DEG LAST NIGHT. althogh i did not have to plow went out and started the tractor, 10 sec on the glow plugs and she fired right up (tractor is kept in unheated garage) my question or comment is , i have never added anti gelling to diesel, why don't i have that problem and why do others have it?

/ VERY VERY COLD #2  
Most likely you have purchased diesel fuel that is a winter blend already. It has a certain amount of kerosene content if I remember right. If you were to be using a summer blend, you would most likely be gelling (and I don't mean the things you put in your shoes!). John

/ VERY VERY COLD #3  
How long did you run your tractor for and how hard were you working it?

/ VERY VERY COLD #4  
We had similar temps that night, around -6, and I had no problems either. Its the winter blend from the pump for road use that works well for me. Its already conditioned, and for the little bit my TC24 uses, the road taxes are insignificant. Last year the coldest I ran was about -25 with a long hard run blowing snow banks, no problems. Yesterday I ran for about two hours moving firewood and light plowing.

When I worked heavy construction, the machines that gelled were the ones we topped off with straight heating oil (non-taxed off road diesel) when the heating oil truck came to the job site. If you didn't add conditioner, -20 would make your fuel filters look like they had vasaline in them. Not very productive days when it takes till noon to get the equipment running.

As far as the current weather goes, I'm bummed! It is supposed to get up to the mid 40's and rain later this week. So much for a white Christmas /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Maybe we'll get hammered with some real winter next week.

Brad

/ VERY VERY COLD #5  
About -7 Deg here Frank. Although so far the snow has been manageable. I brought the tractor up next to the house near a plug for the block heater just in case.

/ VERY VERY COLD #6  
Minus 27 here last night and Clementine fired right up, but then I use a block heater in the winter months. I use Stanadyne in my diesel. Never had a problem without it but it pours noticably easier with it so for $7.50 a year's supply why not? Pete

/ VERY VERY COLD #7  
-4 this morning and going up to 30 later in the day. When is spring coming? I have a lot of outside work to do.

/ VERY VERY COLD #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

As far as the current weather goes, I'm bummed! It is supposed to get up to the mid 40's and rain later this week. So much for a white Christmas /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Maybe we'll get hammered with some real winter next week. )</font>

It was minus 5 here yesterday, but 27 right now. We are under a winter storm watch for wednesday to thursday. Calling for 6" to 10" (if) it tracks right.

Maybe it'll move east and you'll get your white Christmas! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RedDog

/ VERY VERY COLD
ran it for about 1/2 hour most of it was warm up time and just a few min with cleaning up the drive a bit.

/ VERY VERY COLD #10  
From time to time, I like to tease you guys by slipping in a note about Florida weather when you're complaining about how it is Up North. But right now, I'm not happy with your weather, because it has spilled over. It has been COLD here for the last couple of days.

Now, let me hasten to say, it's certainly a different cold. It's currently 63 degrees at 10:00 AM, but the humidity is 72%, the dew point is 54, and it feels like the low 30's. And, that's really cold when you're used to high 70's! But, the real similarity is inside the house -- we're reluctant to fire up our expensive and inefficient electric hot air heat, so the temperature inside the house is 67 degrees at the moment and that, combined with the humidity, is probably colder than a lot of you guys Up North. I have on long pants and a sweat shirt for the first time this year, and I'm shivering.

Relief is on the way, however. They're promising 70's later today or tomorrow at the latest. C'mon down!