Video Camera Recommendation

/ Video Camera Recommendation #1  

NibbanaFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 739, Cub Cadet 2544
Greetings,
I want to get my wife a video camera as a gift. She likes to film the dogs, wildlife, outdoor activities, etc which she now does with her laptop. Have heard good things about both Sony and GoPro.
Any recommendations?
Thanks.
Nibbana

Last edited:
   / Video Camera Recommendation #2  
Nikon Z50 with the kit lens is compact and easy to carry in a large coat pocket.

used Nikon Z6 with the 24-70mm f4 kit lens will be a serious upgrade from that with image stabilization, full frame, and larger battery, but it is not as easy to carry as the Z50.

Check for holiday sales including sales at the Nikon USA refurb site.

Both have animal eye detection auto focus.

/ Video Camera Recommendation #3  
Greetings,
I want to get my wife a video camera as a gift. She likes to film the dogs, wildlife, outdoor activities, etc which she now does with her laptop. Have heard good things about both Sony and GoPro.
Any recommendations?
Thanks.
Nibbana

I own a slew of digital cameras AND a GoPro. The GoPro is good for only one thing - action photography. I mount it on the front of my Jeep or side by side to get videos of difficult/scenic drives. Thing to remember about a GoPro is that the lens doesn't have a zoom capability - it will capture everything with a wide-angle view. So if you were to want to video a deer at 50 yards, say, all you'll get is a video of a tiny speck (the deer) in a wide landscape.

Any camera with a zoom lens would be better. Any digital camera these days will do both stills and video. Depends on your budget and how big a camera your wife would mind packing around. Any video I do of wildlife is with my Panasonic G9 with big zoom lens attached but that's a lot to carry around. For hiking use I have a Sony RX 100 VI which takes lovely photos and videos and is much more compact. There are many in the class - check out this Nikon: Nikon COOLPIX A1000 | Point & Shoot Camera from Nikon

I took this pic from about 80 yards away with a zoom lens at about 400 mm. No way could a GoPro do this.
P1004782ecrtbn12-3-233.jpg

Go to this site if you need to do some research:Digital Photography Review

/ Video Camera Recommendation #4  
Further comments based on my experience why I recommend the Z50 in no particular order: 1) unlike some others, this camera has manual controls for controlling ISO, shutter speed and aperture; 2) Nikon menus are logical and pretty consistent from model to model; 3) physical size is convenient and lightweight but yet has a good grip; 4) image quality is good to very good meaning color output is good and low light performance is also good; 5) auto focus performance is also very good-the animal eye detect AF at short distances is very good; 6) both kit lens are very good and affordable; 7) option to add better lenses is there if wanted.

Random action pic of two of our dogs tugging over a rag made with the Z50 and a prior model kit zoom lens. The current model 50-250mm kit lens is supposed to be even sharper.

EmptyName.jpg

I'd look for a holiday deal on the Z50 with both kit lenses (the 16-50mm and the 50-250).

The free version of Black Magic's DaVinci Resolve video editing software works well provided your computer has enough processing power for video editing. There are several tutorials on YouTube that will help.

The point and shoot cameras are less expensive, but limiting because they typically lack manual controls over ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. You are also confined to whatever lens is built into the camera. If you need a lens with more light gathering ability or more zoom, you don't have the option of switching to another lens.

If she just wants a video camera, Canon USA usually has some deals on refurbished camcorders around the holidays as well.

/ Video Camera Recommendation
That was some good information. Especially about the GoPro. A lot of this doesn't mean anything to me though. I'm not a tech person and I don't know anything about photography or video. I have a Canon powershot A2300 which was less than $100 and takes pretty crappy photos but that's what I use for the few I take. The videos she's made so far she does with her laptop. Really awkward to make a video on so just about anything would be a step up I guess.

This stuff can very quickly go way over my budget too. I'm thinking get her something entry level and if she wants to pursue it she can take it from there and learn about it. Looking at the Sony Handycam CX405. I saw a youtube video of a guy comparing this to an $800 Panasonic and I really couldn't say I saw much if any difference. They both looked great to me and seemed very easy to use. He liked them both.

/ Video Camera Recommendation #6  
I'd guess most people would use their cell phone to make pictures and videos these days.

/ Video Camera Recommendation #7  
I have a Go Pro 10. Can do pictures but, action video is what it does best. ISO adjustable. View format adjustable. FPS adjustable. Zoom settings. Small. Can be chest mounted or mounted to any vehicle. Not expensive. Fun toy for amature film capture. Her I phone call also do most all of that.
Stuck mine on the Cobra yesterday for some driving video.

/ Video Camera Recommendation
I'd guess most people would use their cell phone to make pictures and videos these days.
She doesn't have a smartphone. She doesn't want one. She has a trakphone for emergencies but that's it. She doesn't want to be connected to the internet all the time. Neither do I. I don't have any type of mobile phone at all and don't even know how to use one. The last dinosaur on the face of the earth maybe. I know it sounds weird but I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

/ Video Camera Recommendation #9  
If that works for you then okay. I have a friend with a flip phone. No pictures, no text, he's happy.
Something like this may be what you are looking for > :LOL:

Screenshot 2023-12-04 082330.png

/ Video Camera Recommendation #10  
A Sony handycam sounds like a good choice for your wife. I got Canon powershot and I enjoy the super zoom. You got to be steady to take good photos.