Vineyard hiller build thread

/ Vineyard hiller build thread #11  
Good deal..!! I'm interested in seeing how it does.

/ Vineyard hiller build thread
Success!

Or close enough.
IMG_2599.jpeg

As you suggested, I tilled things up with the venerable Burch disc harrow & then used my contraption.

Hills are about 12-14” high. The soil never really dried out enough so I have more clods than I’d like. But I’ll have a bigger time window next winter

I’m still fiddling with the 1000 different ways to adjust the contraption. One adjustment I’m going to try is to put a tilt angle on the hiller disks. Kinda like a satellite dish pointed to the sky a bit. I saw a thing on YouTube called a “disk plough” that’s made with the disks tilted up. Seem to be used in India and Africa. Videos show it tossing dirt a couple of feet in the air which would help (I think)

It’s missing the gauge wheel cause the $13 Harbor Freight wheelbarrow one didn’t appreciate being dragged sideways when I forgot to lift the 3pt at the end of the row. Probably put a trailer axle and hub on it

Thanks so much for your advice!

Last edited:
Any reason you are not hilling both sides of the vines, in one pass? Instead of just one side?
Would be nice, particularly with balanced draft to make steering easier. But the row to row spacing isn’t consistent enough

Rows are laid out pretty straight on 8’ centers, but vines have trunks +/- 6” to either side. They have a mind of their own after a few years of pruning out old wood

Not really enough room to get the tractor through if I’d make the hills wide enough to allow for the variable width

Also, I have to take the hills down in the spring to uncover the graft union, so it’s better to have narrower hills. Gonna hafta build some contraption next spring to dehill. Thinking about a spider gang (like a Lilliston) in front of a finger weeder to work around the vines. I’ll do another build thread if I can get it to work.

There are commercial units that weed or hill both sides at once, but they use sensors to detect vines and hydraulic cylinders (or springs and parallelogram linkages,etc) to work around each vine

That could be next year’s build🤔

Last edited:
   / Vineyard hiller build thread #15  
I have about 1/2 the hardware to make mine.

20221125_134018 - Copy.jpg

20230624_185017md.jpg

BTW, I'm not the first person making a hiller out of DishTV antennas either.

Another Yanmar owner did it for his YM3810.

potato-hiller-yanmar-gardening--IMG_1184 (1280x960).jpg

Potato hills for summer 2023. Since I seen the prior pixs with fencing, I thought this pix could help.

potato-hiller-after.JPG

Keep adding to this thread. The more ideas and in action the better. (y)

/ Vineyard hiller build thread #16  
Saw an update to you post, and after thinking about it, thought I remembered something that may be your perfect tool. That was until I saw you needed to uncover the graft union, shows what I know about growing grapes. Don't know that I've seen that done here in Ohio with all of the small Vinyard/wineries popping up all over here. It may very well still work for you, if you could find one. They are known as terrace makers, a pull type PTO driven type plow that slings dirt to make terraces on hillsides. They had a 3 speed transmission so as to sling dirt further. I'm thinking in first gear at low rpm's, and running just shallow enough depth to get the amount of dirt to do the deed. In this video, this one is powered by a Farmall H, which were 28hp on a good day. As if you don't have enough wheels turning inside your head on perfecting your build, I'm going to throw this at you.

Now that I see you need to uncover the vines at the graft union I'm wondering if some sort of compost would do the job for you. It would be something that would take several years to produce using an organic material such as leaves, straw, etc. to semi-break down into something usable. Not completely composted, but enough it may break down over the winter, and settle come spring and not so difficult to pull away from the vines. It could be applied with a PTO manure spreader with the beaters removed, and a slanted side chute to deposit where needed. I'm assuming the dirt needs to be pulled away from the vine union to prevent rot or freeze damage. And don't have a clue as to how long the semi-composted material would last in your climate for the protection you need. It may not even hold enough moisture if rotting that graft union is the problem. And last of all looking at the pictures I'm not seeing very many trees leaves could be harvested from. Here for most people that have a lot of trees they are a nuisance and either rake/blow their leaves up in a pile and dispose of by whatever means to keep from smothering the lawn grass. Others have lawn services blow them in piles then have a truck mounted Vac to pick them up and dispose of. There are several composting facilities around but charge a hefty price to dump.

In my case I've been mulching around set plants in the garden now for 10+ years. Keeps the weeds down plus after breaking down adds a lot of organic material to the dirt. I gather from neighbors, and in the past had a neighbor with a lawn service bring me huge amounts. Worked great until the guy's wife who has a small CSA saw what I was doing, and decided she would do that, and there went my huge leaf supply. By luck a buddy of mine was helping out a friend of his with a lawn service who provides leaf pickup. The city where they normally take them that has a composing program upped the price to $50 to dump a 1 ton truck with box. It was either cut the profit margin, raise prices, or find a less expensive place to dump. My buddy remembered I mulch with leaves, so called and asked if I wanted them. I told him "all you got." I ended up with quite a pile and hopefully enough to cover the entire approx. 1/4 acre garden.

By spring they'll still be pretty much whole. I'll put them around plants after they get 8" or so tall. Once they are down they will suppress 95% of all weeds all summer, plus holds moisture through dry spells and sure saves a lot of work. I put them down 4" - 6" thick, by the following spring they are pretty well broken down into a fine compost like material. Over the summer they provide a mat to walk on after a good rain, yet the following spring plow down very nice. Earthworms and night crawlers feed on them from underneath the entire year and leave untold amounts of worm castings. A pretty cheap source of organic matter, plus organic fertilizer.

Below is a picture of some of the leaves I've gotten this fall. There have been several more loads dumped since then. Looking at your pictures the population looks pretty sparse, but pictures can be deceiving. Not sure if this will work for you but throwing it out there as food for thought. Also added a picture from early August and how well leaves kept the weeds down. I give and donate a lot of tomatoes once I get what I want for canning and get many complements from people on how nice it is to pick in a weed free tomato patch.

Attachments

• 20231125_162826.jpg
    20231125_162826.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230805_132649.jpg
    20230805_132649.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
I have about 1/2 the hardware to make mine.

View attachment 839679

View attachment 839681

BTW, I'm not the first person making a hiller out of DishTV antennas either.

Another Yanmar owner did it for his YM3810.

View attachment 839682

Potato hills for summer 2023. Since I seen the prior pixs with fencing, I thought this pix could help.

View attachment 839683

Keep adding to this thread. The more ideas and in action the better. (y)
I knew I shouldn’t have thrown those away 🤣

Saw an update to you post, and after thinking about it, thought I remembered something that may be your perfect tool. That was until I saw you needed to uncover the graft union, shows what I know about growing grapes. Don't know that I've seen that done here in Ohio with all of the small Vinyard/wineries popping up all over here. It may very well still work for you, if you could find one. They are known as terrace makers, a pull type PTO driven type plow that slings dirt to make terraces on hillsides. They had a 3 speed transmission so as to sling dirt further. I'm thinking in first gear at low rpm's, and running just shallow enough depth to get the amount of dirt to do the deed. In this video, this one is powered by a Farmall H, which were 28hp on a good day. As if you don't have enough wheels turning inside your head on perfecting your build, I'm going to throw this at you.

Now that I see you need to uncover the vines at the graft union I'm wondering if some sort of compost would do the job for you. It would be something that would take several years to produce using an organic material such as leaves, straw, etc. to semi-break down into something usable. Not completely composted, but enough it may break down over the winter, and settle come spring and not so difficult to pull away from the vines. It could be applied with a PTO manure spreader with the beaters removed, and a slanted side chute to deposit where needed. I'm assuming the dirt needs to be pulled away from the vine union to prevent rot or freeze damage. And don't have a clue as to how long the semi-composted material would last in your climate for the protection you need. It may not even hold enough moisture if rotting that graft union is the problem. And last of all looking at the pictures I'm not seeing very many trees leaves could be harvested from. Here for most people that have a lot of trees they are a nuisance and either rake/blow their leaves up in a pile and dispose of by whatever means to keep from smothering the lawn grass. Others have lawn services blow them in piles then have a truck mounted Vac to pick them up and dispose of. There are several composting facilities around but charge a hefty price to dump.

In my case I've been mulching around set plants in the garden now for 10+ years. Keeps the weeds down plus after breaking down adds a lot of organic material to the dirt. I gather from neighbors, and in the past had a neighbor with a lawn service bring me huge amounts. Worked great until the guy's wife who has a small CSA saw what I was doing, and decided she would do that, and there went my huge leaf supply. By luck a buddy of mine was helping out a friend of his with a lawn service who provides leaf pickup. The city where they normally take them that has a composing program upped the price to $50 to dump a 1 ton truck with box. It was either cut the profit margin, raise prices, or find a less expensive place to dump. My buddy remembered I mulch with leaves, so called and asked if I wanted them. I told him "all you got." I ended up with quite a pile and hopefully enough to cover the entire approx. 1/4 acre garden.

By spring they'll still be pretty much whole. I'll put them around plants after they get 8" or so tall. Once they are down they will suppress 95% of all weeds all summer, plus holds moisture through dry spells and sure saves a lot of work. I put them down 4" - 6" thick, by the following spring they are pretty well broken down into a fine compost like material. Over the summer they provide a mat to walk on after a good rain, yet the following spring plow down very nice. Earthworms and night crawlers feed on them from underneath the entire year and leave untold amounts of worm castings. A pretty cheap source of organic matter, plus organic fertilizer.

Below is a picture of some of the leaves I've gotten this fall. There have been several more loads dumped since then. Looking at your pictures the population looks pretty sparse, but pictures can be deceiving. Not sure if this will work for you but throwing it out there as food for thought. Also added a picture from early August and how well leaves kept the weeds down. I give and donate a lot of tomatoes once I get what I want for canning and get many complements from people on how nice it is to pick in a weed free tomato patch.
I appreciate the ideas! Gotta look into the terrace machine

The idea of hilling grafted grapes it to keep the graft union warmer in the winter to prevent freeze damage. But if you leave the hills up over the summer, the top fruit bearing part of the vine (scion) will put out it’s own roots, which defeats the disease resistance of the rootstock

The local university extension is recommending exactly what you’re talking about. The county composts trees/brush/leaves and sells it as “Mesa Magic” for pretty cheap. They had graduate students as free labor and put 6” of that compost on each vine in an experimental plot. They stuck thermocouples in it and had good results in the keeping warm department. Still collecting data on root sprouting and weed pressure. Everybody around here uses herbicides for weeds, so not a big issue. We’ve had trouble with weed seeds in that compost, so we stopped using it in our garden

There are also commercial machines that break up straw bales and blast them onto the vine rows

I’ve been focused on moving dirt around cause it’s cheap and I can do it by myself off my tractor. I’m 72yo and can’t walk all that well due to severing my sciatic nerve in a freak fall accident. So really can’t shovel much compost. Unless I can convince the county extension to include me in their experiments and send over a half dozen graduate students 🤣

/ Vineyard hiller build thread #19  
I thought I had seen about everything. Satellite dishes for hillers is a new one. I mean, good grief those hillers at Ag South are just so expensive. How ya get them dishes to roll?

I “improved” my design by angling the hiller discs 20 degrees to the sky. Expanded my metalworking skills making new disc brackets out of 6” x 3/8 bar stock. $28 Harbor Fright carbide blade for steel cut it like butter. Put in 220v outlet for my $75 Amazon inverter stick welder and ran 1/8” 7018 pretty well (by my admittedly low standards)

Tried it out in the rain and got what I expected. Tractor went sideways and discs filled up with mud. Everything is frozen now, so I may have missed my window. I’ll get started earlier next year cause I have the contraption built

I figure that tilting the disks to the sky is going to make for a couple of mud platters, so I’m pretty sure I need to put a scraper on each hiller to keep them clean. All of the commercial disc ploughs have scrapers

I saw one fellow on here welded up some disc harrow scrapers out of old lawn mower blades. Will probably bend/anneal them a bit with my torch if I go that way. Other folks have used chain around the axles of a harrow, but I don’t have an axle to loop around

Any other thoughts on making a scraper?