Sprayer Vineyard sprayer

/ Vineyard sprayer #11  
WOW that is down right scary!
How many grapes do you have for that monster.
Thats one of the advantages ( or disadvantages I guess) of my little 250 vines. I can manage with a backpack sprayer. But if I knew a machine such as this even existed maybe I could have justified more!

/ Vineyard sprayer #12  
I was thinking the same thing...LOL!

/ Vineyard sprayer #13  
I suggest you change the name of the tractor to Medusala! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All kidding aside - that's a pretty awesome looking setup. E-Bay huh, never would have thought to look there.

/ Vineyard sprayer
We have two acres of Cab. Franc right now (1450 vines), with two more of Merlot (1500) going in this spring. Eventually ramping up to about 10 -12 total.

Yeah, used the backpack about five times and then sold it when we found the Hardi. Backpack worked well but weighed about 65# fully loaded and not as even spray coverage.

Calculated the walking distance at about 3.5 miles per spray. When it's in the 60's that's fine, but in the 90's like it is this week, it gets pretty old real quick.

I about fell out of my chair when we came across the Hardi on eBay. We had been looking at buying one brand new for next year, but couldn't justify the cost right now. The model has had some very minor manufacturing changes since first introduced, and is still selling very well today. Spare parts are readily available from the manufacturer, so we figured buying one at auction was a no brainer.

Tony

/ Vineyard sprayer #15  
Tony, looks like an octopus on the back of your tractor... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.... Reminds me of when I was growing up... we grew apples and grapes... I hope you're wearing all the right safety equipment when working with this equipment...

So, how do you like the wine business?

/ Vineyard sprayer
Wear the respirator and "suit" every time. Thinking about adding a hard cab and a/c to make life a little easier.

Lots of hard work growing grapes. Really enjoy it though. Already have buyers for our first crop in 2006. Will be planting Merlot (2 more acres) this spring.

Tony

/ Vineyard sprayer #17  
I was the poster asking about the wine business.

I've got 22 acres I'm looking to start a commercial grower greenhouse business. While our businesses are different, I'm curious how you pursued getting a purchaser for your crop.

Anything you can offer up would be appreciated... I have read many books and grew up on a vineyard/orchard business (the vineyards were limited and we sold our apples retail....)... My largest concern is finding a buyer for the product I'll be growing...

/ Vineyard sprayer
Hi Dave,

I did a lot of reading and research for a couple of years before jumping in so to speak. Still do a lot of r & r to keep up with new info and techniques.

The wine growing business here in PA is quite a network of people willing to share info. We are members of a growers association and the networking there and through several friends in the business hooked us up with our buyers. Of course the pretty strong demand for quality winegrapes doesn't hurt either !

We will eventually go out to alot of the wineries around here (most of which we know and buy from) and inquire from them as to what they want. I would imagine that you could do the same for your crop. Basically hook up with whomever is selling what you will grow.

The relationship between grower and buyer is pretty important around here, especially with winegrapes because of all the variables involved.

Where in NY are you ? I grew up in the Albany area.

Tony

/ Vineyard sprayer #19  
I grew up in Voorheesville, NY... I live in the Binghamton area.... My family owned a small orchard/vineyard near Indian Ladder and Altamont orchards.

Thanks for the advice... I have been doing plenty of R&R on everything but the process of finding a buyer.... I think planning a business is like designing the pieces to a puzzle, assembling them, and then reconfiguring them as you go to fine tune their fit... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif