Vintage wire wheeld hay wagon...? what is it?

/ Vintage wire wheeld hay wagon...? what is it? #1  

jdmar

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5425 & 4300, Yanmar 1500
OK, I am sorry if I posted this in attachments also. This may have been a better spot.
I got this when I went to pick up a newer wagon a couple years ago...saw it in the weeds and threw it on top of the main wagon for a few more bucks. Now I am finally getting around to fixing it. I am not looking for original...just running! I may use it to haul kids around on hay rides (less likely) or as the base to a roadside stand for my children's crops (more likely). I got lucky and replaced the main spread pipe with on old oil line pipe I had-and it was heavier than original anyway. I still need to do a lot of little fix-it welds and some minor straightening of some parts.

Now for the questions:
1) What make is it? any idea on the years they made these? The guy I got it from thought it might be an old New Idea running gear...but was not sure.

2) Any idea where I can get parts? Primarily I need bearings for the front. I am sure the rears are bad but at least they are intact and turn...I can deal with that (lots of grease over and over!). I doubt I will ever take this on any extended trips...just to the road-barn-and back. But I would like to not be grinding old metal on old metal.

Any help/details would be greatly appreciated. I thought this might be a better spot than the AG section but let me know if you think I should move this (not sure I know how though).

Thanks for all your help.
Peter

Attachments

• DSC01969.JPG
    DSC01969.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC01970.JPG
    DSC01970.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC01971.JPG
    DSC01971.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC01972.JPG
    DSC01972.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC01973.JPG
    DSC01973.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC01974.JPG
    DSC01974.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 118
   / Vintage wire wheeld hay wagon...? what is it? #2  
I think your best bet to find the right bearing is to: remove one of the old ones and try to find a nuber off of it. If it's worn or rusted off then you are left with measuring the OD and ID with calipers and seeing if there is anything that you can match it to at NAPA or on an online bearing source. Good luck!