@$ volt alternator 3020

/ @$ volt alternator 3020 #1  

ipopeyei

Tractor
John Deere
Hello
Just installed a new 24 volt floating alternator on my 68 3020 diesel.
It is installed properly with the connection point between the batteries grounded to the tractor chassis.
It is a 2 wire alternator with the + AND the - terminals isolated from ground.
Here is the issue:
when tractor is not running the voltage at these alternator terminals is 25 or 26 volts ( just what it should be - the two batteries in series )
when the tractor is running the voltage goes from 30 or so at idle , all the way up to 38 VOLTS at faster engine speeds

I thought these style ( "1 wire" or 2 in my case ) were internally regulated?

any body have any ideas ? thanks!

/ @$ volt alternator 3020 #2  
Real far from an expert on these but isn't the main difference between the 12 and 24v on these units have more to do with the return circuit not being grounded to the chassis on 24v and carried on just the wires. Could that be causing a fit? I know there is a high percentage of these units converted to 12v to get away from the troubleshooting, battery imbalance,etc (and price of 24v stuff).

/ @$ volt alternator 3020
More Info
this is a Delco 10SI Type alternator
bought from Brillman Co. ( Home - The Brillman Company )
#BALT011 " 24volt, 40 amp alternator with isolated ground, 1 wire "
( since ground is isolated, there are actually 2 wires +,- )

this tractor has never been converted from 24 v to 12v
both the 24v starter terminals are also isolated from ground

also ho does one post pictures on these forums?

/ @$ volt alternator 3020 #5  
To post pics, click the "Go Advanced" button, then the "manage attachments" button.
There you will click "add photo" and then "browse" to find it on your computer, and then "upload"..

just follow the prompts...

/ @$ volt alternator 3020 #6  
I've worked on many of the 24 volt systems with generator, but never with alternator. I assume your alternator leads connect to the starter battery terminals? What voltage reading are you getting at the batteries when running? Check them individually. What condition are your batteries in? I have run into occasions where batteries being bad causing high charging voltages. If batteries are good and alternator is connected properly, I think you got a defective regulator in the alternator.

/ @$ volt alternator 3020 #7  
I agree with jd110 in that if alt is connected per instructions then internal regulator is faulty. I'm curious as to where you attached the 2nd wire as I only see one electrical post? Maybe 10SI alt I Googled is incorrect model as it is a one wire.

Attachments

• adr0154-3__92172.1471321669.jpg
    adr0154-3__92172.1471321669.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 168
   / @$ volt alternator 3020 #9  
OK I Googled incorrect alternator. What is the brand & model # of your alt?

this is a Delco 10SI Type alternator
bought from Brillman Co. ( Home - The Brillman Company )
#BALT011 " 24volt, 40 amp alternator with isolated ground, 1 wire "
( since ground is isolated, there are actually 2 wires +,- )