Voltage reducer for Glow plug?

/ Voltage reducer for Glow plug? #11  
Yes it is like this on the B414

I test the indicator alone to test it and it burn.
The circuit is :
battery to glow plug switch to indicator (a resistance that will be red when hot) to the first glow plug to the second one to the third to the fourth to the tractor body.
Is the resistence of all the plugs and the indicator will drop 12v to 0.9 volt?
Or do I have to put a resistor or something else that will do the job?
Is the swith (that I don't have has this "something" that will do the job?

I saw in book that on this tractor the body is connected to the PLUS of the battery but I connect it like we usualy do body (mass) to Negative. Curious!!!!

the power goes into a switch then to 1 side of indicator the other side of the indicator goes to the glow plugs YOU CAN NOT test glow plugs or indicator individual w/12Volts you will burn them up.
BTW it was pos to body from the factory if you change polarity you will have to flash the field on the generator and the regulator

How many terminals on each glow plug the one that Jason posted only has 1

http://cngco.com/wiring_diagrams/IH 3414-B414-B275.pdf

Last edited:
   / Voltage reducer for Glow plug?
Thank you for the diagram.

Mine have only one "cable" from the glow plug indicator to the first plug and one wire goes to the second plug and so on.

There is no more generator it is an alternator now.

I must review my old electricity book.
I think that resistance add on all the circuit in series.
Perhaps, just connect all the plugs and the "indicator" and all will be fine. I just don't want to spent an other 50$ on that little wire (indicator) if it does burn again.

Transit, I don't know how many amps... the plugs were not working when I bought the tractor.

Thank all for trying an answer for MY problem.

Here it is when I received it:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s137/michelxb/Tracteur/IMG_3280.jpg

/ Voltage reducer for Glow plug? #13  
Looking at the Loop Plugs again, each plug has only one terminal to connect to a power source. Current enters at the terminal and leaves by way of the plug body. There would have to be two terminals for each plug in order to connect them in series. The diagram shows the plugs in PARALLEL, connected with the terminals to a common bus and grounded in common to the engine block.

Attachments

• Visio-plug.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 548
I just refreshed my electricity knowledge and in fact, we must add resistance when in series. So voltage is reduce bye each glow plug and the resistor of the "indicator" in the dash panel.

It seems that all I have to do is to put a switch in the circuit of the indicator and the 4 glow plugs that are in series and it will be fine. I am looking for explanation on Internet that will describe the plug Champion 155 but nothing for now.
On the glow plug we can see: Champion/ch28/0.9v/068//

Looking at the Loop Plugs again, each plug has only one terminal to connect to a power source. Current enters at the terminal and leaves by way of the plug body. There would have to be two terminals for each plug in order to connect them in series. The diagram shows the plugs in PARALLEL, connected with the terminals to a common bus and grounded in common to the engine block.

For mine Champion 155...
No, it is not by the body. Current enter by the end of the plug and there is ceramic and the other wire is there not having contact with the body. It is very near but it is not the body. I made the same mistake the first time when I take my multimeter.

/ Voltage reducer for Glow plug? #16  
The way you have to wire a Bosch loop plug is a little tricky if you don't have the proper info close at hand.

These plugs do not ground through the body, there are two terminal at the top of the plug. There is a ceramic insulator that keeps the two terminal isolated, if you missing those insulators that's the first problem you need to correct.

http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/W01331638701BOS.JPG

If your books don't explain how to wire up the plugs I can likely get a diagram from one of my Mercedes engine manuals that will give you enough info to get the job done.

Tracking down a voltage dropping coil might be hard. I know it can be sourced from Mercedes, but I'm sure you could convert the system to parallel plugs for about the same amount of money and you'll get an automatic controller too. Google part # W0133-1606011 to see it.

If you want to go cheap you could just buy 4 plugs, part # 0 250 201 044 and use the old switch and completely eliminate the need for the dropping coil. That's all I've ever done on my engines and it works great.

Jason

/ Voltage reducer for Glow plug? #17  
Any chance of you posting a photo?

/ Voltage reducer for Glow plug? #18  
Try this diagram.

Attachments

• Visio-plug.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 711
The way you have to wire a Bosch loop plug is a little tricky if you don't have the proper info close at hand.

These plugs do not ground through the body, there are two terminal at the top of the plug. There is a ceramic insulator that keeps the two terminal isolated, if you missing those insulators that's the first problem you need to correct.

http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/W01331638701BOS.JPG

If your books don't explain how to wire up the plugs I can likely get a diagram from one of my Mercedes engine manuals that will give you enough info to get the job done.

Tracking down a voltage dropping coil might be hard. I know it can be sourced from Mercedes, but I'm sure you could convert the system to parallel plugs for about the same amount of money and you'll get an automatic controller too. Google part # W0133-1606011 to see it.

If you want to go cheap you could just buy 4 plugs, part # 0 250 201 044 and use the old switch and completely eliminate the need for the dropping coil. That's all I've ever done on my engines and it works great.

Jason

I know, it is what I wrote. The plugs are new and the ceramic are there.

Thanks for information about the bosh in parallel. It would have been sheaper for me and more effective but like I said i have all new plugs and indicator now so I will install that in series.
Thanks again.

Try this diagram.

Yes, it is like that. Since I do not have original glow plug switch I will find something to replace it and try all that... but not tomorrow I go fishing... :)

Thank you.