W.R. Long kit plus Gator grapple

/ W.R. Long kit plus Gator grapple #11  
I have had the levers get knocked open, also. Good idea. I had used a bungee cord in the past. We think alike...here's a pic of my brush guard after I first got it done. It's got a few bangs in it, now... I have a WRlong root rake grapple.

Attachments

• Tractor Brush Guard 004.jpg
    Tractor Brush Guard 004.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 693
   / W.R. Long kit plus Gator grapple #13  
After reading the part about requesting 3/8 couplers and receiving the 1/2 couplers from gator I had to post. I also requested the 3/8 couplers for my WR long setup they said it would not be a problem but sent the grapple with 1/2 couplers. bought a set of 3/8 couplers from Northern hydraulics made the 5 hour trip to the farm where the tractor was and found out the coupler I bought were not compatable to the ones on the tractor (the ones on the tractor and the ones I bought were supposed to be compatible with pioneer couplers) Thought the weekend was ruined until I figured out I could take one off the tractor and put on the grapple and vice a versa on the other one.
Crisis averted. I guess I will buy another set from Northern and make everything the same. Still trying to figure out all the hydraulic fitting terminology and quick coupler compatibility.

/ W.R. Long kit plus Gator grapple
After reading the part about requesting 3/8 couplers and receiving the 1/2 couplers from gator I had to post.

One minor point of clarification...

I am the OP, and in my long post that began this thread, I didn't say Gator erred by sending the wrong size couplers. Fact is, I failed to specify the size of the couplers when I placed my order with Gator; I stated only that I wanted "ag type" quick disconnects.

So it was more my error of omission in not specifying the size, rather than Gator's error in sending a size I wasn't expecting.

The lesson I learned is that I should have provided complete, detailed specifications in my order to Gator, and by posting my experience here on TBN, hopefully a future reader won't make the same mistake I did.

Jay

/ W.R. Long kit plus Gator grapple #15  
My suggestion is to order the grapple WITHOUT hoses or QD's from Gator. That way you can measure the exact length 1/4" hoses (the 3/8" ones they supply are not needed) you need to fit your machine and get the proper couplers the first time. They are not in the hydraulic business and don't know all the different types that are/can be found on our tractors.

/ W.R. Long kit plus Gator grapple #16  
I own the same set up. I did not mount my QC's in the front, they hang loose (secured by wire ties). I thought I might run into a problem with them snagging on brush, etc., but I haven't, yet. Are their any other reasons to have them mounted solid? When I remove my grapple, I just plug the ends of the hoses together on the tractor and the grapple. Easier than dust covers, but not near as nice looking as your set up.

/ W.R. Long kit plus Gator grapple #17  
I connect or reconnect the QC's the same way as Milton, also. I use a removable tie wrap to loosely keep the hyd hoses off to one side and to keep them from flopping around. I actually prefer having the loose hyd hoses vs the connectors mounted to a stationary fixture on the loader cross arm. You can see what I am talking about by looking at the pic of my grill guard above.

/ W.R. Long kit plus Gator grapple
Milton, if you aren't having any problems with your current setup, heck, I'd just leave it alone.

Jay

/ W.R. Long kit plus Gator grapple #19  
You guys' tractors are cleaner than my trucks.

/ W.R. Long kit plus Gator grapple #20  
Milton Burro said:
You guys' tractors are cleaner than my trucks.

The only reason MT tractor is so clean is because it has no doors to hold all my wife's trash.

I am loving this little project!