W.R. Long third function kit

/ W.R. Long third function kit #11  
Does Kubota make a 3rd function valve kit for the MX5100? If so, did you check on Kubota's price?

I had the WR long installed on my 2010 L4400, when I ordered it. I asked about a Kubota one, and the dealer said they don't even mention them to the customers, due to price. In any case, mine works, but it just seems to me that the manufactures, could come up with a better design. Oh yeah, do not, use the third function while your backhoe is connected to the Hydraulics. You will blow the seals out of your control valve assembly, due to back pressure. It is in the manual for your backhoe.:thumbsup:

/ W.R. Long third function kit #12  
This is Nelson at W.R.Long.

If you are having back pressure issues with your backhoe with our valve then the valve kit is installed incorrectly. This valve is on many tractors with backhoes with no problems.

In fact when we designed this valve kit we were very specific with our requirements that our valve would be able to withstand 3,000 pounds of back pressure.

Our valve must be the 1st devise after the power beyond port on your loader valve and then your backhoe after our valve. If you like you can go to the valve kit section of our website. I would give you the link but I think TBH has a thing about us doing that.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to help. You are welcome to call Nelson 252-823-4570

I had the WR long installed on my 2010 L4400, when I ordered it. I asked about a Kubota one, and the dealer said they don't even mention them to the customers, due to price. In any case, mine works, but it just seems to me that the manufactures, could come up with a better design. Oh yeah, do not, use the third function while your backhoe is connected to the Hydraulics. You will blow the seals out of your control valve assembly, due to back pressure. It is in the manual for your backhoe.:thumbsup:

/ W.R. Long third function kit
Nelson, can I ask you a few questions?

I'm installing a W.R. Long 3rd function valve kit on a Kubota MX5100 with LA844 loader.

The first shot shows the kit (obviously). Am I correct to conclude that the coiled hose pair on the right isn't needed since I bought the bulkhead plate assembly (which is the coiled hose pair on the left)?

The second shot shows where I placed the 3rd function valve on the FEL spar. I placed it a bit outboard of center to avoid having the attachment hoses chafe on the hood. After thinking about it though, I believe I'm too far outboard and the quick disconnect fitting will be too close to the loader arm when the loader is mounted. Where do you normally position the valve on the spar?

The third shot shows the power beyond hose (with green tape on it) running from the 3rd function valve T port back to the manifold. This is the one that was originally connected to the power beyond port on the FEL valve. As you can see, there's a good bit of extra length now. Is it okay to just leave it with the big curve in it?

Last question. I'm not terribly familiar with the electrical layout of this tractor, and just about all the wires are bundled and sheathed. Can you recommend a particular wire to tap into for the hot? Is the idea to just cut the orange wire loop provided in the kit (the loop with the 10A fuse) and splice it between the tractor hot and the valve switch hot?

Thanks,
Jay

Attachments

• kit.JPG
    kit.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 2,796
  • valve-position.JPG
    valve-position.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 1,562
  • hose-loop.JPG
    hose-loop.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 1,333
   / W.R. Long third function kit #14  
Sure,

The hoses on the left connect to our 3rd function valve A and B ports and the other end connect to the back side of the bulk head plate. The hose on the bottom right connects to your power beyond port on your loader valve and our P port. The hoses you are asking about are connected to the front side of the bulk head plate and the other ends to the back of your attachment. As you know we manufacture attachments and valve kits. We decided years ago to include hose in the valve kit all the way to the back of the attachment.

By using the U-Bolts is give you the installer/owner the flexibility to move the valve around. I would get everything put together and the place the valve where you find is the best location and then tighten up the bolts.

No problem with the big curve. I would tuck it below the other hose and in toward the tractor.

I'm not familiar with the wiring on your tractor either. I would find a wire that is connected to your switch. Yes just cut the orange wire.

Thanks,

Also, you are always welcome to call us.

Nelson 252-823-4570

Nelson, can I ask you a few questions?

I'm installing a W.R. Long 3rd function valve kit on a Kubota MX5100 with LA844 loader.

The first shot shows the kit (obviously). Am I correct to conclude that the coiled hose pair on the right isn't needed since I bought the bulkhead plate assembly (which is the coiled hose pair on the left)?

The second shot shows where I placed the 3rd function valve on the FEL spar. I placed it a bit outboard of center to avoid having the attachment hoses chafe on the hood. After thinking about it though, I believe I'm too far outboard and the quick disconnect fitting will be too close to the loader arm when the loader is mounted. Where do you normally position the valve on the spar?

The third shot shows the power beyond hose (with green tape on it) running from the 3rd function valve T port back to the manifold. This is the one that was originally connected to the power beyond port on the FEL valve. As you can see, there's a good bit of extra length now. Is it okay to just leave it with the big curve in it?

Last question. I'm not terribly familiar with the electrical layout of this tractor, and just about all the wires are bundled and sheathed. Can you recommend a particular wire to tap into for the hot? Is the idea to just cut the orange wire loop provided in the kit (the loop with the 10A fuse) and splice it between the tractor hot and the valve switch hot?

Thanks,
Jay

Sure,

The hoses on the left connect to our 3rd function valve A and B ports and the other end connect to the back side of the bulk head plate. The hose on the bottom right connects to your power beyond port on your loader valve and our P port. The hoses you are asking about are connected to the front side of the bulk head plate and the other ends to the back of your attachment. As you know we manufacture attachments and valve kits. We decided years ago to include hose in the valve kit all the way to the back of the attachment.

By using the U-Bolts is give you the installer/owner the flexibility to move the valve around. I would get everything put together and the place the valve where you find is the best location and then tighten up the bolts.

No problem with the big curve. I would tuck it below the other hose and in toward the tractor.

I'm not familiar with the wiring on your tractor either. I would find a wire that is connected to your switch. Yes just cut the orange wire.

Thanks,

Also, you are always welcome to call us.

Nelson 252-823-4570

Understood. Thanks. Will call if needed.

The bulkhead plate is angled (see first photo), but the bracket where I want to attach it is vertical (see second photo).

The holes in the bulkhead plate line up perfectly with the bracket, but if I install the angled bulkhead plate onto this bracket, the quick disconnect fittings will point toward the ground instead of straight ahead.

I suppose I could mount it with the couplers on the bottom, which case they'd point upward. Nelson, your recommendation?

Jay

Attachments

• plate.JPG
    plate.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 770
  • bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 874
Last edited:
   / W.R. Long third function kit #17  
The holes in the bulkhead plate line up perfectly with the bracket, but if I install the angled bulkhead plate onto this bracket, the quick disconnect fittings will point toward the ground instead of straight ahead.

I suppose I could mount it with the couplers on the bottom, which case they'd point upward. Nelson, your recommendation?

Jay

Can you bend the bracket straight?

Can you bend the bracket straight?

I don't have a torch, but I suppose I could take it to a shop and have it done. I'd rather not, though, just because it's brand new and for my hard-earned money I'd like to have the correct piece out of the box. :)

I'm hoping Nelson will swoop in with sage guidance. I have a feeling he's going to tell me the correct orientation is the couplings coming off the bottom of the torque tube, pointing upward.

Jay

I called W.R. Long today. The angled bulkhead plate is appropriate for my LA844 loader and should be mounted upright; the couplings are intended to point downward.

/ W.R. Long third function kit #20  
I purchased the elect over hyd kit from WR Long through my Kubota dealer to use on my bucket grapple. This thing is great if you want to spend the money.
Didn't take long to install and everything fit on my tractor like he said it would.
The only thing I couldn't use was the bulk head plate because it would hit my brush guard (home made add on) and tear the fittings off. I would recommend
this set up to anyone