WA State- Can't buy new Kubota Canada?

/ WA State- Can't buy new Kubota Canada? #21  
Years ago, when my mother in law passed away, in Florida where she lived half of the year (guess which half?) she owned a Toyota that was parked in her Toronto condo's parking garage, where she spent the other half of the year. We bought it from the estate, and I flew up and drove it home to Maryland. Amazingly, after sitting for 18 months in a dusty garage, it started right away with a jump. I washed the grime off so I could see out the windshield, aired the tires, checked the fluids and away I went.
Now, going thru customs was a nothing event, and getting Maryland temp. plates before I left was easy, too. But I wonder how much anxiety trailering a tractor thru might cause? If you bought a used tractor in Canada, warranty issues would be non-existent, but would all that be worth the trouble- especially if the USA wanted customs duties or something? Just wondering. Come to think of it, wouldn't the exchange rate be nulled by price adjustments?

/ WA State- Can't buy new Kubota Canada? #22  
I know Vermeer of BC told me they couldn't sell me new products only used stuff.

/ WA State- Can't buy new Kubota Canada? #23  
I brought a Vermeer Stump grinder on a trailer through customs when they asked what I did in Canada I said I bought that machine they said ok you need to pay a $10 "use" fee. I was thrilled I thought they would rape me and my deal would be gone! instead I had to wait in line for 2 hours with all the Visa/passport issue people and that was the worst part just to pay the $10!!!!

/ WA State- Can't buy new Kubota Canada? #24  
Show up with a canadian friend in their truck . Dont tell them you are not canadian . Just show them the money . When they ask for an address , give them your friends .
Canadian money.

Better yet, give the Canadian ca$h to the friend and he/she buys the tractor and sells it to you somewhere off the dealers' lot. That makes it a 'used' tractor, in as much as you would be the second owner of said tractor.

When you import it into the states, it would be a good idea to check with US customs before you show up at the border with said 2nd owner tractor.

Last edited:
   / WA State- Can't buy new Kubota Canada? #25  
One of you guys should come up and buy my tractor (2009 BX25) so I can buy a new one! You can have it for $13k U.S., and Toronto is only an hour or so North of Buffalo by car.

/ WA State- Can't buy new Kubota Canada? #26  
How do you exchange a large amount of currency without getting gouged on the exchange rate?

use XE.com, or Knightsbridge. Also, most Canadian banks will compete with these guys, but you have to be right there on there spot as they phone their trading desk. Been there, done that, when buying a condo in Florida - what a white knuckle ride!

/ WA State- Can't buy new Kubota Canada? #27  
With Customs either way, Can to US or US to Can, it is all in the wording and what you tell them. Casually mention that you got a buddy to buy that almost new tractor for you and watch out! They will throw the screws right to you. Making a false declaration. Aka tax evasion.

/ WA State- Can't buy new Kubota Canada? #28  
use XE.com, or Knightsbridge. Also, most Canadian banks will compete with these guys, but you have to be right there on there spot as they phone their trading desk. Been there, done that, when buying a condo in Florida - what a white knuckle ride!
I know first hand how that goes. We bought a car while working in Canada which was a good deal at the time ($.62 USA to $1 Canadian) but after we came home, the Canadian dollar kept rising so we needed to pay off the car since we no longer had income in Canadian dollars. After many phone calls, we go the payoff and sent them a check. A couple weeks later, we got a letter saying we owed a bit more due to the Canadian dollar gaining in value so we sent them a few more dollars. Then we got another letter with like $.60 still owed. I finally just mailed the an US dollar bill and said keep the change and that was the last of it.
Speaking of bringing machinery across the border, we had no problems with licensing our 2 Canadian licensed vehicles, just had to have the State Police run the serial numbers against theft reports and we got a Texas Title. A friend with a Dodge Durango wasn't so lucky, he had to change out his speedometer and odometer from kilometers to miles. We had no issue at the DMV we went to. He had to have a factory guy fly down from the Dodge factory with a new preset odometer to install and witness it so the warranty would remain in effect. He did gain a few miles as he was still driving and adding miles to it after the dealer reported the mileage to the OEM. What a PIA to go thru just to register. Our cars odometer was digital and switchable from km to miles so we had no issue. We still have the same car 11 years later.

/ WA State- Can't buy new Kubota Canada? #29  
Here's a little twist from this afternoon.

As some know we have been on a quest for a RTV...

My brother is here in Washington a lot for business...

I suggested he give Kitsap Tractor and Equipment a call... they are always advertising and the their website says they would have to raise their prices to price match and their prices are too low to advertise so call.

Front Page | Kitsap Tractor & Equipment

Anyway... he calls Kitsap Kubota and says he is interested in an RTV X900... the person asks for his phone number and says the RTV salesperson will call him right back and within a few minutes he does.

Before the conversation even gets started the salesperson asks if the number is from California and my brother says yes... he is based out of California... the salesman said he won't be able to help and my brother thought he had misunderstood and the salesperson repeated we only sell to locals... and that was that.

Sure sounds rude... Nothing I can find on the website about selling only local.

Anyway, I sent an email to T.C. to ask if this is on the level...

So it appears Kubota dealers or at least one in Washington will not sell to just anybody.

Stay tuned.

/ WA State- Can't buy new Kubota Canada? #30  
Here's a little twist from this afternoon.

As some know we have been on a quest for a RTV...

My brother is here in Washington a lot for business...

I suggested he give Kitsap Tractor and Equipment a call... they are always advertising and the their website says they would have to raise their prices to price match and their prices are too low to advertise so call.

Front Page | Kitsap Tractor & Equipment

Anyway... he calls Kitsap Kubota and says he is interested in an RTV X900... the person asks for his phone number and says the RTV salesperson will call him right back and within a few minutes he does.

Before the conversation even gets started the salesperson asks if the number is from California and my brother says yes... he is based out of California... the salesman said he won't be able to help and my brother thought he had misunderstood and the salesperson repeated we only sell to locals... and that was that.

Sure sounds rude... Nothing I can find on the website about selling only local.

Anyway, I sent an email to T.C. to ask if this is on the level...

So it appears Kubota dealers or at least one in Washington will not sell to just anybody.

Stay tuned.
Interesting. I bought my BX from TC at Kitsap but I am only 6 miles away. With respect to the border, I would definitely look into what the import rules are before buying.

Not referring specifically about tractors but I know some dealers respect other dealers territory and refer business. Kind of refreshing in a cutthroat selling world these days. I used to not think about it so much, but I now buy a bunch of stuff online out of convenience but what I don't do is go 'stroke' a local merchant for info/recommendations and then buy for a few percent less on the internet. To me that is just not ethical. His time/knowledge is worth something and its nice to develop local merchant relationships.