Wackadoodle tire idea

/ Wackadoodle tire idea #11  
Foam filled tires are not nearly as bad riding as you guys make them out to be. It's very common on construction equipment and it gives you benefits like ballast and never having to worry about a flat tire. For the OP's concerns about load carrying capacity and good traction it could very well be an option.

The machine in question does 45 degree slopes. Not 45% grade, 45 degrees. That's a 100% grade. I'd be super concerned about putting solid tires on it and also very concerned about the tread pattern.

Jeeze, reading what I wrote sounds all cranky, and I don't mean it that way. Sometimes I wish we could all be face-to-face. It doesn't come across well in words. :)

/ Wackadoodle tire idea #12  
The machine in question does 45 degree slopes. Not 45% grade, 45 degrees. That's a 100% grade. I'd be super concerned about putting solid tires on it and also very concerned about the tread pattern.

Jeeze, reading what I wrote sounds all cranky, and I don't mean it that way. Sometimes I wish we could all be face-to-face. It doesn't come across well in words. :)
Can't we all get along!!! :D

/ Wackadoodle tire idea #14  
OK bear with me folks... Bar tires just lack traction. Quad tires, my dream tire, lack ability to support the weight.

What if... What if.... What if I where to put either the R1 bar tires on the outside and put the quad tires on the inside. Bar tires take the weight and the side load stress and the quad tires beef the traction.

I must confess I have a new drug dealer, the new stuff might be too potent.
:confused: Is it sideslope traction that the bar tires lack?

/ Wackadoodle tire idea
No, bar tires provide a good amount of side traction. But when you get beyond 30 degree slopes, you are into tire pressure, tire width, ground quality as much as tire makeup.

For clarity, what is going on is that I just put new tires with an agressive tread on my quad and it is a night and day difference. Bar tires in my opinion are good, but old technology, when you look at tread design on these quad tires, you can see what I mean. I am not sure why tractor tires have not followed, other than maybe farmers unwilling to change a 100 year old design, or that the quad tread, while a more agressive grab, is more prone to failure in the high torque applicaiton of a tractor.

/ Wackadoodle tire idea #16  
No, bar tires provide a good amount of side traction. But when you get beyond 30 degree slopes, you are into tire pressure, tire width, ground quality as much as tire makeup.

For clarity, what is going on is that I just put new tires with an agressive tread on my quad and it is a night and day difference. Bar tires in my opinion are good, but old technology, when you look at tread design on these quad tires, you can see what I mean. I am not sure why tractor tires have not followed, other than maybe farmers unwilling to change a 100 year old design, or that the quad tread, while a more agressive grab, is more prone to failure in the high torque applicaiton of a tractor.
Thanks for the insight. ... I will go with the latter.
... I believe it is much related to your soil type, light weight carried, and comparison of fresh vs old tires of different carcass hardness and rubber compound. Knobby tires bite in without much weight and have great omni direction traction, but do not self clean without a high spin rate. The self cleaning action of bar tires favors traction that does not diminish after the 1st revolution of spin. -- But even better, the physics that drives the self cleaning action gives superior traction in the forward direction by trying to compress earth outward in response to the drive force. This gives a great benefit on consolidated soil. We see it tuned by shape, width, spacing, and angle of the bar chevron, but I would be very surprised if a concept were discovered that can supersede the traction merit of the gross directional R1 pattern in low speed application. For "high" speed application, where dirt can also fling off, a directional knobby of broken chevrons would do.

/ Wackadoodle tire idea #17  
... I am not sure why tractor tires have not followed, other than maybe farmers unwilling to change a 100 year old design, or that the quad tread, while a more agressive grab, is more prone to failure in the high torque applicaiton of a tractor.

Tractor tires (R1's) are designed for pulling plows through dirt in the forward direction, and they do that really well. That's why the design hasn't changed. Your applications aren't for pulling in a forward direction except when you go straight up hill. Anything on the side-slope, reversing, etc... and that's not what R1's are designed to do.... I think. :confused3:

/ Wackadoodle tire idea #18  

Why would you be concerned? There is clearly something here that I am not understanding. Do you not think it will not carry the load?? You can foam any tire so tread pattern should not be an issue, simply pick the one you want.

I hear ya. It's all good.

/ Wackadoodle tire idea #19  
For steep slide slopes, you want your tires soft to increase ground contact. It is recommended with these tractors to lower your air pressure when working on steep slopes (lower to 4 psi if I remember correctly) and to increase air pressure (12 or so psi) when doing heavy loader work . Foaming would suffice for the loader work but you would lose some ground contact on steep slopes.

Ken

/ Wackadoodle tire idea #20  
And R1 is not designed for lateral traction resistance.

Roadhunter-These tractors (PTs) are a little different. You might want to have a look at some of the videos on the PT website or on MossRoad's or Springhollow's. Whether it is the low damage to lawns or side slope capabilities, PT owners bought and use these tractors in ways that are challenging for "normal" tractors. Over the years, I've used lots of power equipment off pavement, and these are not typical tractors, and what works for these machines is also a little different.

As MossRoad pointed out, some of these machines are rated to 45 degrees, that's a 1:1 slope, and that puts significant lateral force on the tire, and the tire tread. R1s by virtue of the bar design have great straight line power, but they are much less than ideal for side slip. On the 1845 and 1850, PT use double tires, usually dual R1s, but for the other models, there is only one tire per corner, and the side slip of an R1 becomes much more important.

All the best,

Peter