Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin?

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #11  
I got to agree.

They are ok for indoor latex, but border line more trouble than their worth. And useless for primer or any sticky paints, since the nozzel will clog.
They make an attachment that will draw from a paint can and its a total waste of time. Way more trouble than its worth.
I only tossed mine as far as the garage shelf.

If it was me I would spend my money on a HVLP gun and a good compressor or a turbine.

Fred

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #12  
John,

Save your money and etch the tin with dilluted vinegar before painting. It's an old trick I learned in the HVAC industry. It really works and it's cheap.

Mike

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #13  
Personaly I would not buy another "Power Painter" either, I've had two of them. My second one the Wife bought, biggest one they made a number of years ago. Still had to thin the exterior paint and it puts my hand to sleep.

I painted my current house last year and used that power painter for about 5 min. Went down to Harbor Freight and bought a Wagnor .38 gal a minute airless commercial type sprayer w/25' hose. Worked great. I just painted the 5000 sq/ft house I'm building now, worked great. Put down two coats over the weekend and used a really thick Behr paint as well.

Either rent or buy a real airless.

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #14  
I have a Wagner Power Roller in the original Box. Used once. Whoever pays the postage can have it. Maybe I will sell it a someone's garage sale next summer. Might get some beer money for it.

Tom

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #15  
I guess I am an exception to these other posts. I have painted several sheds and a couple of barns with mine. Also I have painted two mobile homes and probably a mile or so of fence. The best 70 bucks I ever spent! I would buy another if something happened to mine. I always cleaned mine up afterwards though when I was finished no matter how tired I was though.

Pros, Good for irregular shapes like metal roofs and wicker furniture. quicker than brush or roller, cheap and quick way to spray a lot of paint.

Cons, Suction hose is more trouble than it is worth, if your spraying that much paint moving the bucket slows you down and the hose keeps coming out and losing suction whe carrying the pail with you. By the time you spray a few quarts you will welcome a break in the action. Vibration is somewhat uncomfortable as well as the weight of the unit loaded is a little tiresome. Slow compared to larger sprayers but quicker than manuel methods. Works better with oil based than latex. Latex wear the tip more than oil. I am yet to replace the tip though but I am sure that I will on my next job where finish is an issue. Also have to be careful not to let the paint tilt back into the unit.

I painted a roof that took 17 gallons of paint in two half days at the beginning of the summer. A little more bending over than I wanted but it seems that I sometime have more time than money. And a lot of neither very often, oh well.

Conclusion, good results here but the larger units would be nice if you have a lot to do. I guess if I had read these posts I wouldn't have bought one but I am satisified with my experience. Isn't it funny how people can have such different experiences with products?

Patrick

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #16  
I own a duplex and we did paint that with the big "Power painter" a few years ago. Actually my Wife, Nephew etc.. painted it. I painted it 10 years ago with the smaller "Power Painter" and said never again.

Did it work...Yes. Did it look good...Yes. Did I have to thin the paint, get numb hands, wear ear plugs and hold a lot wieght...Yes.

When I went to use the bigger unit it was ok but that was about it. The pattern was just to small, doesn't paint upside down or steep angles for soffets. Trying to get paint on the underside of the bottom board of lap siding doesn't work worth a darn either. Unless you use the hose which I didn't like either.

I found the lighter paints can work ok but using a high quality thick one coat or even some two coat paints had to be thinned.

I think they are ok for small jobs and will get you by on larger ones. I guess you have to ask yourself if its worth the extra time, work, noise, etc.. vs having or renting the right tool for the job.

Its' one of those deals where once you use the right tool you ask yourself why you didn't do it in the first place. Hind sight is always 20/20....been there did that bought the T-shirt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #17  
The latest Northern catalog (hardcopy) shows a Wagner airless factory-refurbed for $149.99. Northern item # 159246-1412. 2/5 hp, 115 volt motor, 1-5 gallon buckets, 0-2500 psi adjustable pressure, professional spray gun, .013" reversible tip and 15' of 1/4" hose.

Anyone know if this is a decent unit? The price sure is nice /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #18  
It should work alright. I'd spend the extra $20 for the next one up though. It has slightly more power, pressure and 25' hose vs a 15'. A 15' hose would get short real quick as you go up.

Depending on the paint you may need the corse(Grn)screen as well. My 1/2hp could barely get through the yellow(med) shooting a really thick exterior semi gloss paint. I just yanked the screen due to time contraints. The med screen worked fine for the cheaper flat paint that I used on the house I just sold though.

Ask your paint shop or look on the bucket of paint for the tip size. You should be ok with the tip that comes with it for painting however stain would be a lot smaller tip.

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #19  
FYI....
The mine has is a .015 and it shoots out plenty of paint. The .017 might have been a bit better with the really thick paint I used this last time but it was still good.

Never used it for stain.

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #20  
I got rid of my assortment of tips and went with an adjustable.

They save time and work very well. In addition, if a small partical blocks the tip, you can open it up and it will clear out. I got tired of having to pull the gun apart. Even if it only happens once, the adjustable tip is worth it.

Bob