walk behind brush mowers???

/ walk behind brush mowers??? #11  
If you dig far enough in the original engine manufacturer's web sites for specs - you can often find the maximum allowable operating angle. 25 degrees is about the highest number I've seen for a 'normal' air cooled pressure lube 4-cycle engine, although I'm sure there's some special purpose stuff out there that could do more. I'd bet it's in the DR information pack as well or they (or Billy Goat) could answer it via an email.

/ walk behind brush mowers??? #12  
Ferris makes a hydro drive brush mower thats quite a bit heavier than the DR and a bit cheaper. That might be worth a look.

/ walk behind brush mowers??? #13  
Mark

You are on the right track realizing the limiting factor with these machine is the physical exertion they require.

I have used them all, and the Billy Goat is especially tiresome to use because of the poor front-rear balance. It is way too heavy up front. Going to the 13 hp version just magnifies the problem.

Bar far the easiest of these machine to use is the Bachtold Bros. weed mowers. They too are common in most rental yards. They have very tall, spoked wheels, and look like something from a Frankenstein movie. With the wide open, revoling weed head, they never get clogged or choked down. I have an 8 hp Briggs on mine, and never need any more power. They are realtively light compared to the rest, perfectly balanced, and quite a bit cheaper to boot.

Remember, think smaller, lighter. and easier to handle; and you will be much happier in the long run.

BTW, don't waste any time or energy on the high wheeld string trimmer things. They just don't work.

Thanks
Bill

/ walk behind brush mowers??? #14  
We've had a DR Field and Brush mower since the early 90's. It's one of the hard rubber, spindle wheeled ones with no reverse. Works just like the video, pretty much goes where it wants to. You are simply along for a ride. You get to direct your first movement's direction and then hang on until you stop. Goes through or over most anything.

Looks like they have improved a lot over the years but you might want to check and see if they have made the handles any longer. I'm around 6'4" or 6'5" with steel toe boots on and the handles are way too short. After an hour or so my back gets pretty sore.

/ walk behind brush mowers??? #15  
My DR is just like fouracres, it's old and beat up and basic (single speed) ... no reverse or pneumatic tires on that bad boy. It's always started very easily. You just point it where you want to go and hang on. It'll do everything they say it will but I find that it's not as easy as they make it look. When cutting lots of saplings and high weeds around the lake I find myself tripping on the stuff that it chops up and leaves on the ground. After a few hours it gets really tiring walking and wading through that stuff. That's not the machines fault, it's mine for leaving it so long between cuttings. I've got a lot of good use out of that machine and taken it places that I'd be terrified to go on the tractor. On steep slopes, it's easier to mow going uphill that coming down. There's no engine braking and it'll give you a wild ride, running to keep up. I used the finishing mower deck for years and it's very good too although mine is the worse for wear now. For the longest time it was the only walk behind mower I owned. Without a reverse, it's a little heavy to rug and tug at while maneuvering around trees and things but its a good, go anywhere mower. All in all, I don't regret it's purchase in the slightest.

I've never had any problem getting spares although I've never needed many. I once called them up to order a drive belt. The rep told me that he'd sell me one but that it'd be much cheaper if I just went to the local auto supply store and got a such and such size. You can't ask for any more honesty than that.

/ walk behind brush mowers??? #16  
I rented one of these to try and clear some areas I wasn't brave enough to run the brush hog on, it like to killed me. I've never been so tired after an hour of fighting that thing. I need a better answer I think. I have the same problem with steep pond sides, I usually wait till fall and just pull it out, but it looks terrible during the summer. I was thinking about a chemical solution like roundup or something, but I don't want that stuff going into the pond, do I?

/ walk behind brush mowers??? #17  
Just cross grass carp and walking catfish, the offspring will keep the grass trimmed around your pond /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben

/ walk behind brush mowers??? #18  
I have the Simplicity brush mower.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/field_brush.php

I have cut saplings almost 3" in diameter. It is built very well, very rugged. Best of all it has a hydrostatic transmission in both forward and reverse. No shifting, easy to operate. Electric start. I would buy another one, it's a beast.

/ walk behind brush mowers??? #19  
Sarlo is another brand to consider. Don't know much about them, though... only that they sell them here at the place I get my small engine stuff.

I rented a billy goat once. I hated every minute of it. Figured every other machine would be the same, so I bought myself the biggest trimmer I could afford- a Stihl FS250 (2.5 hp or so) for around $325. I'd have preferred a Husqvarna just because I love my Husqvarna 350 chainsaw so much, but they were more expensive and less powerful (1.5 hp).

I can do more on the hilly terrain here with this than any mower. Throw on the gnarly blade & I can cut down small trees like they were daisies. And the only energy I exert is me walking. No big machine to wrestle. And with the new harness I bought, carrying it all day is a breeze. Of course, on the flat stuff a mower would be way better. But here on our ranch we don't have much flat stuff. And wide open terrain that we do have can be mowed with the tractor & rotary mower.

/ walk behind brush mowers??? #20  
I too have a DR and it's a great machine. It really does what those TV ads claim! It's kind of a workout to use on a big area but for really big areas I have the tractor. What it really excels at is rough or hilly terrain, along narrow paths, next to stone walls . . . all those places you can't drive a tractor.

Mine is a 13HP which has never bogged down with anything I mowed.