Walker's F Series Thread

/ Walker's F Series Thread #81  
After seeing your success, I went out and found a used F2560 with 72" side discharge deck for $5,000. Newly serviced, new rear tires just mounted, new set of front tires that need to be mounted on the rims. Was almost dark when I got it off the trailer so no pics yet.

/ Walker's F Series Thread
Well the mowing deck gearbox seal has basically failed at this point. The gear oil will leak out after about 30 min of use. Way too risky to continue using.

I'm going to do some forums searches and read a few threads before tearing into it. Hopefully there's nothing else weird going on and seals will fox it. I'm guessing if the shaft(s) are smooth then a seal should do the trick. Any advice or links is welcome!

/ Walker's F Series Thread #83  
If the majority of it is leaking out then the seal is damaged. If it were just seeping a bit, I would check the vent but a clogged vent won't create that much fluid loss.

It is good that you caught it in time so that hopefully a seal is all it needs but while it is out I would seriously consider bearing replacement.

After a dry summer, there has been a lot of rain lately so my F2690 is getting a lot more exercise with twice weekly mowing.

Rodger

/ Walker's F Series Thread #84  
Well the mowing deck gearbox seal has basically failed at this point. The gear oil will leak out after about 30 min of use. Way too risky to continue using.

I'm going to do some forums searches and read a few threads before tearing into it. Hopefully there's nothing else weird going on and seals will fox it. I'm guessing if the shaft(s) are smooth then a seal should do the trick. Any advice or links is welcome!

Sorry, can't help much since my RD deck originally had a US made gearbox, which is now obsolete as far as I was able to find out couple of years ago, but I was able to buy couple of ($150) generic 90* spare gearboxes and have been running one of them as a test drive for probably close to 100 hours now.

The original (Superior 211ADF 189 6 Gearbox) is still fine, I just wanted a spare(s).

The original was priced at around $800 or so, however it was no longer available according to dealers.

I am under impression that it may be hard to find alternatives for the gearbox in newer F models - hopefully all you need is couple of seals / bearings.

SpinCo.pngSpinCo_IMG_5534.JPG

A used F series popped up on Facebook marketplace in Sioux City Iowa,,,, so tempting, in case anyone is looking for one:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240215_204532_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240215_204532_Chrome.jpg
    913.7 KB · Views: 44
There was a puddle under the deck where it sit all winter.

I took the gearbox off and replaced the lower seal. The bearings were all intact and spun freely, everything looked good and clean from what I could see.

So far so good but I've only used it for about 2 hours so far. Time will tell.

At any rate I now know how to take it apart. I honestly forgot all about the shop manual I had on the shelf... I just started taking it apart. I got it apart but it wasn't per the book. If I remember correctly, the book has you drop the whole lower spindle carrier.

I may pull it completely apart next winter if I'm just looking for something to do. I could have gotten a better look if I had that whole piece out on the bench.

Attachments

• 20240216_160159.jpg
    20240216_160159.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
   / Walker's F Series Thread #87  
Glad to hear you got the leak repaired - hopefully it will last.

Those are pretty expensive bevel gearboxes, and I have seen only one aftermarket supplier so far so it's well worth the effort to keep an eye on it...

Aftermarket.jpg