Walkie-talkie Batteries: Arrgh! Drive me nutz!

/ Walkie-talkie Batteries: Arrgh! Drive me nutz! #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
Seems everytime I need my handheld Walkie-talkie to do it's job the batteries go dead. I've had a number of different brands of small hand held radios, which usually sit in their charging station until ready for use. The crappy sealed cell single battery type seem to go bad with regular frequency. They are similar, if not the same as the ones in my hand held wireless phones. I just stopped replacing the phone's batteries, BUT with the hand held radios I need them to work when I need to use the radio.

Anyone have any tricks, or best longest lasting battery to recommend?And, do you leave the radios charging, or leave them out to 'die' periodically, so they can then be recharged from nothing to full?!

I give up on this issue...Maybe I should just go directly to Interstate brand batteries and never have another issue with them?:drink:

What say you?

TIA,

CM

/ Walkie-talkie Batteries: Arrgh! Drive me nutz! #2  
Do your radios go long periods of time between uses? If so, I'd leave them off the chargers. I think it's more of a charger thing than a battery thing. I think the "cheap" chargers over charge and "cook" the smaller cell batteries.

/ Walkie-talkie Batteries: Arrgh! Drive me nutz! #3  
We have the same issue. Very frustrating and looking forward to more responses.

Brett

/ Walkie-talkie Batteries: Arrgh! Drive me nutz! #4  
I've been very happy with just about any lithium battery. I had exactly your experience with both NiCd and NiMh rechargeable batteries of all types.

/ Walkie-talkie Batteries: Arrgh! Drive me nutz! #5  
Do your radios go long periods of time between uses? If so, I'd leave them off the chargers. I think it's more of a charger thing than a battery thing. I think the "cheap" chargers over charge and "cook" the smaller cell batteries.

Agree that is a big part of the problem. Chargers are getting smarter as battery technology moves toward lithium chemistry so maybe the combination of battery and charger are simply better these days.

/ Walkie-talkie Batteries: Arrgh! Drive me nutz! #6  
I have Kenwood family band handie talkies. They have Li-ion batteries that hold their charge for at least a year. I always recharge before any use and they have been great for a little over twelve years now. They weren't cheap but having absolutely zero battery problems has been nice.

/ Walkie-talkie Batteries: Arrgh! Drive me nutz! #7  
I've been very happy with just about any lithium battery. I had exactly your experience with both NiCd and NiMh rechargeable batteries of all types.

Agree that is a big part of the problem. Chargers are getting smarter as battery technology moves toward lithium chemistry so maybe the combination of battery and charger are simply better these days.

This is the key CM. NiCad and NiMH, do just what you said. Dead when you need them. The newer Lithium chemistries are the answer. There is much to learn about Nicads, and I could point you to the pages, but trust me, As an amateur radio operator that has been using walkie talkies for many decades, the real answer is Lithium. So far. The best we have. Until something better comes along.

/ Walkie-talkie Batteries: Arrgh! Drive me nutz! #8  

I have Kenwood family band handie talkies. They have Li-ion batteries that hold their charge for at least a year. I always recharge before any use and they have been great for a little over twelve years now. They weren't cheap but having absolutely zero battery problems has been nice.

Yep, Lithium is so much better..

/ Walkie-talkie Batteries: Arrgh! Drive me nutz!
So am I to dump the ones I have now, or can I get Li-ion batteries for the charger/talkies I have?

I have a pair of Uniden GMR-5099 radios and a Uniden RC1282 charger, made in Vietnam. Charger is 9V 350mA. Radio batteries are: Ni-MH 4.8V 700mAh, made in China, date coded: 5013L

So, if I'm getting this, you're saying NOT to keep the talkies in the charger unit constantly; to charge them up in advance of using them?

I very infrequently use them, to answer the question posed earlier...BUT I do want them ready to be used when I need them; is this asking too much?

What about those who have constant use, and always placed back in chargers, like police and mountain rescue/ski patrol radios? Do they experience the same issues with frequent dead batteries?

TIA guys....

Any further recommendations of inexpensive but decent quality walkies for around the farm use?

/ Walkie-talkie Batteries: Arrgh! Drive me nutz! #10  
So am I to dump the ones I have now, or can I get Li-ion batteries for the charger/talkies I have?

I have a pair of Uniden GMR-5099 radios and a Uniden RC1282 charger, made in Vietnam. Charger is 9V 350mA. Radio batteries are: Ni-MH 4.8V 700mAh, made in China, date coded: 5013L

So, if I'm getting this, you're saying NOT to keep the talkies in the charger unit constantly; to charge them up in advance of using them?

I very infrequently use them, to answer the question posed earlier...BUT I do want them ready to be used when I need them; is this asking too much?

What about those who have constant use, and always placed back in chargers, like police and mountain rescue/ski patrol radios? Do they experience the same issues with frequent dead batteries?

TIA guys....

Any further recommendations of inexpensive but decent quality walkies for around the farm use?

Nope can't reuse chargers, Totally different chemistry, and totally different chargers needed. and chances of finding Li-0n batteries for the ones you have are not good. I know this is not a good outcome. I maximize life of the few nicads I have left, by a rotating charging schedule, of about a month. Month off, and then a day on. There are different strategy's, and they all suck. Sorry about that.