Chipper Wallenstein BX62 Chipper

/ Wallenstein BX62 Chipper #11  
I'd offer my above statement to you also. If you aren't using it to capacity, you'll be very happy with it. The Wallensteins are built like tanks. Mine had the hydraulic feed, but by everyones' accounts here on TBN, they really don't need it. Its a great chipper and should last your lifetime.

/ Wallenstein BX62 Chipper #12  
I'd go for it! Once it's running the extra flywheel weight will work for you. You should be able to chip larger than a BX42 just because of that.

I have a BX62 , but I also have 60hp, I too do not see a need to chip the big stuff.

/ Wallenstein BX62 Chipper #13  
In looking at the Wallenstein site, am I seeing correctly that they no longer offer a bx62R (hydraulic feed)?

It looks to go from a bx42r to a bx72r.

I have going to get a quote from a couple online places (no local dealer) for an orange bx62s. Won't mention names because I don't know if they are sponsors to tbn.

Last edited:
   / Wallenstein BX62 Chipper #14  
I can't find one locally, and am having a hard time finding the 3 ph specs for the W bx62s.

One chart says it's cat I, II or III compatible. I am not sure what that means (other than simply using bushings). I may buy a Qh someday and was leaning toward cat II. Seems like the pins on the W might be too close together to be real cat II.

But since the specs also say they recommend tractors up to 100 hp on that chipper, they might not be setup for cat I.

Also the owners manual for the model after Jan 2013 is a different manual than the earlier model. Anyone know what changed in the chipper?

One more question, the manual says it is necessary to cut the pto shaft to the correct length. I've not read anyone mention doing this. I don't have a qh, but I always wonder about pto shaft lengths when going between qh and not.

Thanks, Bill

Last edited:
   / Wallenstein BX62 Chipper
One more question, the manual says it is necessary to cut the pto shaft to the correct length. I've not read anyone mention doing this. I don't have a qh, but I always wonder about pto shaft lengths when going between qh and not.

Thanks, Bill

Cutting the PTO shaft was no big deal. I used my cut off band saw, but you could do it with just a hack saw. I seem to remember the manual had pretty good instructions for how to measure and cut.

/ Wallenstein BX62 Chipper #16  
I have the bx42. Never felt the need for the 62 and I'm darn sure not going to be lifting 6" pine trees any time soon. The only negative is chipping freshly cut Ponderosa pine. When things get warm the pitch coats the inside of the chute and can cause the chute to plug with needles. I either let the trees lie for a year to dry or keep old dead branches/trees available to run thru every so often if I chip green trees. I've had the chipper six years and am still on side #1 on the blades. I'm always thinning my stands of pines and chip between 150-200 trees/year. I fear the chipper will outlast me.

/ Wallenstein BX62 Chipper #17  
   / Wallenstein BX62 Chipper #18  
I can't find one locally, and am having a hard time finding the 3 ph specs for the W bx62s.

One chart says it's cat I, II or III compatible. I am not sure what that means (other than simply using bushings). I may buy a Qh someday and was leaning toward cat II. Seems like the pins on the W might be too close together to be real cat II.

But since the specs also say they recommend tractors up to 100 hp on that chipper, they might not be setup for cat I.

Also the owners manual for the model after Jan 2013 is a different manual than the earlier model. Anyone know what changed in the chipper?

Thanks, Bill

I have a BX62, about 5 years old. I have used it on my JD 2030 with a CAT II hitch. I had to use bushings and change the sway blocks on the tractor from CAT II to CAT I position. I am not sure if my driveshaft will be too short for Quick Hitch use, since it was cut for non Quick Hitch use.
Let me know if you need any measurements.

/ Wallenstein BX62 Chipper #19  
I heard back from the Wallenstein and their bx62s and smaller chippers are not qh cat II compatible, lower pins too close together. Funny as the chipper is rated to 100 hp.

Bummer for me as I really want to go to a cat II qh but not if I have to take if off for some implements.

I love how ETA is making almost all their implements cat I or II, qh or not. Makes buying one step easier.