Chipper Wallenstein BXM-32 vs. BXM-42

/ Wallenstein BXM-32 vs. BXM-42 #11  
BXS42 is just a chipper.

BXM42 is a ciipper-shredder.

If you need to deal with a lot of brush, you bought the correct one.

Yes, I am aware of that. Aside from one being just a chipper and the other a chipper/shredder, comparing them is an apples-oranges comparison because of some major design and specification differences. Stating that the BXM42 shouldn't be problem for tractor "X" because I have a BXS42 on a similar tractor is not particularly useful to the original poster. I will put my recently acquired BXM42 on my B3030 soon and report back.

/ Wallenstein BXM-32 vs. BXM-42 #12  
The B3030 will do fine with the BXM-42 -- I don't think there should be any doubt. My smaller/lighter B2920 easily handled the BX-42 just fine, and the extra capability of the B3030 will more than offset the weight/power requirements of the BXM-42. I think even the B2920 could have handled the BXM-42 based on experience with other chipper shredders. Don't overthink it. Once the heavier flywheel is up and spinning, it's added mass doesn't tax the tractor engine; if anything, it makes it easier on the tractor.

The only place you will need to be careful is when disengaging the PTO, as that heavy flywheel will want to overdrive the PTO and engine as you throttle down. We had a thread about this a while back, but I couldn't find it. But I normally throttle back slowly from PTO speed, then push in the clutch and hold it in until the chipper stops spinning (while waiting you can throttle down to idle). You can watch the PTO shaft to know when the chipper is done spinning.

/ Wallenstein BXM-32 vs. BXM-42 #13  
Yes, I am aware of that. Aside from one being just a chipper and the other a chipper/shredder, comparing them is an apples-oranges comparison because of some major design and specification differences. Stating that the BXM42 shouldn't be problem for tractor "X" because I have a BXS42 on a similar tractor is not particularly useful to the original poster. I will put my recently acquired BXM42 on my B3030 soon and report back.

We're all trying to be "useful to the original poster." I doubt anyone on this site would intentionally offer bad advice. We can all read the equipment specifications provided by the manufacturers too. I looked at them before I posted, which is why I offered the advice I did. It's clear that the chipper/shredder is twice as heavy as the chipper, but the horsepower ratings are what they are. People out there are running the BX42 on their smaller SCUTs, so it seems reasonable to expect that the OP could run the chipper he mentioned on his tractor.

/ Wallenstein BXM-32 vs. BXM-42 #14  
We're all trying to be "useful to the original poster." I doubt anyone on this site would intentionally offer bad advice. We can all read the equipment specifications provided by the manufacturers too. I looked at them before I posted, which is why I offered the advice I did. It's clear that the chipper/shredder is twice as heavy as the chipper, but the horsepower ratings are what they are. People out there are running the BX42 on their smaller SCUTs, so it seems reasonable to expect that the OP could run the chipper he mentioned on his tractor.

I agree that no one would intentionally offer bad advice. Yes, we can all read the manufacturer's specs but plenty of people do not look at them closely so that is why I tried to emphasize the differences between the two machines. There are a lot of differences between the "42's" (like the direct drive versus indirect drive to get more rotor RPM for the shredder). There seem to be quite a few members on this site that have the BXS42 but very few members with the BXM42. I just don't want assumptions to be made that the two machines are almost identical. The best that the original poster (and myself) could hope for is to get some feedback from someone who has been running a BXM42.

I put the BXM42 on my B3030 today but have not had a chance to run it. So far, here are my findings:
1. The PTO is a little long and may need to be shortened--not a big deal, the manufacturer recommends doing that if necessary. I just don't want to cut it unless I have to--I will tinker with it a little more.
2. The angle of the PTO shaft appears to be at a really bad angle since the BXM42 input shaft is pretty high up on the chipper/shredder. It appears to be necessary because of the positioning of the indirect drive. Since my tractor is a compact tractor, the PTO is lower than it would be on a bigger tractor. First impression is that the BXM42 would be a better fit for a bigger tractor. Maybe not an issue for a BXS42, I will see if I can find some dimensions between the two machines and compare. Is that okay with you Gus?

/ Wallenstein BXM-32 vs. BXM-42 #15  
I put the BXM42 on my B3030 today but have not had a chance to run it. So far, here are my findings: 1. The PTO is a little long and may need to be shortened--not a big deal, the manufacturer recommends doing that if necessary. I just don't want to cut it unless I have to--I will tinker with it a little more.
A "little long"? It can either expand and compress throughout the range needed to raise and lower the 3 pth or it can't. If it's a "little long" then the weight of the machine when lowering (or the force of your 3 pth if raising) will be transferred into the (compressed to the max) pto shaft and the bearing at the tractor's pto spline. Not good.

/ Wallenstein BXM-32 vs. BXM-42 #16  
While I probably wouldn't do it myself, people on here have run the BXM-42 behind a BX-25. I suspect it was unwieldy and probably not enough power, but if it was doable on a sub-compact, it would have to fit on a mid-size B.

Regarding PTO shaft length, it's either too long (or too short) or it's fine. If too long, it will bind at some point of the 3-pt hitch travel when that distance is a minimum. So it's a bit of a yes or no fit.

Angle is also somewhat of a go/no-go scenario -- you'll know it if the angle is too severe and you can't rotate by hand. I forget the max angle of a typical PTO shaft u-joint, but it's fairly generous. The input shaft is definitely higher on the chipper-shredder models by about 6", but it still looks to be well within the range of possibility.

/ Wallenstein BXM-32 vs. BXM-42 #17  
The weather has turned nasty here so I haven't ventured out to work at fitting the BXM42 to my tractor.

I agree that the PTO length is a yes/no situation. Yesterday, I had the BXM42 on the 3 point hitch and that seemed to be okay. I couldn't get the PTO on the tractor because it was bottomed out in the shaft and tube just enough that I couldn't get it over the tractor's PTO shaft, so yes, it appears to be a no go. I will try to connect the PTO as I connect the 3 point hitch arms sort of as an experiment to see if I can get the PTO on and then see if the full range of motion is still possible without bottoming the PTO shaft/tube when the machine is raised & lowered--I don't expect this will work. For now, I am leaving the cutting of the PTO shaft & tube as a last resort. I may resell the machine if I deem it is not a good match for my B3030 and therefore I don't want to cut the shaft if I am planning to resell it.

PTO angle is definitely questionable. I will take some measurements and calculate the angle to try and put some numbers on it. In my previous farming days, a PTO with that much angle was not a good way to run. Even if I can run it at that angle, it will likely be hard on the U-joints. A quick internet search states the maximum angle is 25 degrees for short term use and 17 degrees for continuous use. From eye-balling it, I think I am exceeding those limits.

One thing I noticed is that with a compact tractor, the lower 3 point hitch links (arms) have a wide angle. This angle does allow hooking up to the implement but the inside of the arms rub the implement frame a little bit. Not a big deal, but worth a comment. I have owned a few full size utility tractors over the years and the width of the tractor/spacing of the lower links at the rear of the tractor prevented this.

In regards to the ongoing comments about the hp rating for a BXS42 versus BXM42 I am beginning to wonder if Wallenstein's rating of 30-90 hp for the BXM42 may be more of a ball park rating to indicate that the tractor should be dimensionally bigger in order to connect it properly to a tractor. Meaning basically it fits best on a standard utility tractor. So yes, my B3030 will likely run it fine with the 23 hp rating of the B3030 PTO but it is going to be an awkward fit for the tractor because the tractor is physically too small. I will continue to report my findings.......

Last edited:
   / Wallenstein BXM-32 vs. BXM-42 #18  
I agree that no one would intentionally offer bad advice. Yes, we can all read the manufacturer's specs but plenty of people do not look at them closely so that is why I tried to emphasize the differences between the two machines. There are a lot of differences between the "42's" (like the direct drive versus indirect drive to get more rotor RPM for the shredder). There seem to be quite a few members on this site that have the BXS42 but very few members with the BXM42. I just don't want assumptions to be made that the two machines are almost identical. The best that the original poster (and myself) could hope for is to get some feedback from someone who has been running a BXM42.

I put the BXM42 on my B3030 today but have not had a chance to run it. So far, here are my findings:
1. The PTO is a little long and may need to be shortened--not a big deal, the manufacturer recommends doing that if necessary. I just don't want to cut it unless I have to--I will tinker with it a little more.
2. The angle of the PTO shaft appears to be at a really bad angle since the BXM42 input shaft is pretty high up on the chipper/shredder. It appears to be necessary because of the positioning of the indirect drive. Since my tractor is a compact tractor, the PTO is lower than it would be on a bigger tractor. First impression is that the BXM42 would be a better fit for a bigger tractor. Maybe not an issue for a BXS42, I will see if I can find some dimensions between the two machines and compare. Is that okay with you Gus?

I don't use this site to engage with sarcastic posters. Good luck with your equipment.