Backhoe Want a backhoe thumb for reasonable $$

/ Want a backhoe thumb for reasonable $$ #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
I have seen that TBN members have bought several brands of backhoe thumbs, in the past. I would like to know if anyone has a thumb on the same model backhoe as mine: KB-2485 on a DK 35se/hst? If so, what brand, model, cost etc.
From what I've seen so far, there is Wallenstein, Rankin and Bro-Tek, to name a few.
Having trouble contacting Rankin direct; have read that the Wallenstein's had slippage problems (probably been addressed by now?). Have contacted Bro-Tek, he wants pics and dipper stick measurements to make me a semi-custom thumb?
Any input would be appreciated....

Thanks

/ Want a backhoe thumb for reasonable $$ #2  
In my dealings with Bro-Tek, if he says he'll make it and make it work, he will. Massey-Ferguson went through a slight change in the dimensions of the late-model 2310's dipper arm which resulted in some problems with the fit... Bro-Tek was with me all the way to get it resolved.

/ Want a backhoe thumb for reasonable $$ #3  
Isn't the Bro-Tek thumb designed to bolt on to a sub compact backhoe? I would think a backhoe designed for a 35 hp tractor would be a bit much for that thumb.

MarkV

/ Want a backhoe thumb for reasonable $$ #4  
Bro-Tec was easy to deal with. Installed a Bro-Tec on my GC2310 MF. Lessons learned. When using thumb MAKE sure you have some weight in the your loader :rolleyes:. The install required some grinding to keep the thumb from binding up. I was picking up around 500 lbs with the BH which is quite a bit more then a bucket of dirt. Didn't think much about the weight until it wouldn't come off the ground without weight in the loader. :D Now I'm a little concerned about how much stress the attaching points and frame are taking so I'm trying to keep the traveling with a heavy thumb load down to a minium.

/ Want a backhoe thumb for reasonable $$
Bro-Tec was easy to deal with. Installed a Bro-Tec on my GC2310 MF. Lessons learned. When using thumb MAKE sure you have some weight in the your loader :rolleyes:. The install required some grinding to keep the thumb from binding up. I was picking up around 500 lbs with the BH which is quite a bit more then a bucket of dirt. Didn't think much about the weight until it wouldn't come off the ground without weight in the loader. :D Now I'm a little concerned about how much stress the attaching points and frame are taking so I'm trying to keep the traveling with a heavy thumb load down to a minium.

Could you further describe the 'binding up' you refer to? Isn't the thumb put into a stationery position with fine tuning via the top link? Where would it bind up, and do you guys mostly leave the thumb on the boom and just remove the top link to allow it to fold the thumb back under the boom for storage/transport?

/ Want a backhoe thumb for reasonable $$ #6  
I have a bro-tech. It's mounted on my 2485 as per instructions.
The teeth on the unit are a little crude and it looks small... but it works.
Depending on the angle of the tooth bar - sometimes the bucket will close and bind.

I leave it on the unit and carry pins in the cab. It took about 5-10 minutes to set up.

Works great on ripping and tearing alders.

Lloyd

/ Want a backhoe thumb for reasonable $$
I have a bro-tech. It's mounted on my 2485 as per instructions.
The teeth on the unit are a little crude and it looks small... but it works.
Depending on the angle of the tooth bar - sometimes the bucket will close and bind.

I leave it on the unit and carry pins in the cab. It took about 5-10 minutes to set up.

Works great on ripping and tearing alders.

Lloyd

Thanks for the info...
Would you mind telling me when you purchased it and what you paid for it in US $ if possible? And what year is your KB-2485? Maybe I can save some time by having Bro-tek make mine to same dimensions as yours?

{also what sander & chipper model/make do you have?}

My wife and I had our honeymoon in Nova Scotia- beautiful part of Canada. My dad's family is from St. Andrews, NB. Been there once- also a great part of the planet...

Have a good day, eh?!:D

/ Want a backhoe thumb for reasonable $$ #8  
Tractor and BH were purchased last summer new.

The thump was purchased about two months ago.

It was $400 Canadian plus tax and shipping $491.55 total. I think you gain about 10 cents on our dollar... maybe a little more. You will pay around $442.39+/- a bit.

The chipper is a wallenstein bx42 - 4" and the sander is a Farmco I think. Will check for you.

Now If I only new local Vermont vernacular I could say something witty!

Good luck with the thumb...

/ Want a backhoe thumb for reasonable $$ #9  
We have bolt-on Backhoe Thumbs for all of the KIOTI Backhoes, and others.

We have both manual and hydraulic thumbs.

Send me a PM, or go to Michigan Iron & Equipment: Kioti Dealer. We can give you the cost, pictures, and any specifications you want.

/ Want a backhoe thumb for reasonable $$ #10  
Backhoe Thumb - TractorByNet.com

Here is my recent thread on the subject.

Thumb is from Steel tec Inc.

Heavy Built and I like it.

I should've gotten the 22", but the 16 works fine for me, picks up big rocks and trees no problem.

Great to have a thumb again.

The price was excellent.

Joel