Want a New Mowing Machine

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #11  
Jesse--how much total acreage are we talking about mowing? I went from a 2520 w/62" deck to a 757 ZTR and 3320 with MX-5. Mostly because I spent way too much time swapping between having the mower deck on and then taking it off, putting the loader back and then attaching the MX-5. I was doing this pretty much every week and it was costing me a lot of time (mowing about 2 - 2 1/2 acres). I now hop on the ZTR, mow the lawn, and still have plenty of time to go cut more of the pasture or clear more in the woods with 3320/MX-5 in the same time it used to take to do all the switching. The ZTR cut is superior, the ride is great in most areas of my "lawn" but where it is is not smooth if you don't slow down you better be wearing the seatbelt!

/ Want a New Mowing Machine
I don't really have enough work for the 4400 to do to justify another CUT. About the only tractor chores I do with it are putting out fertilizer on the yard and digging postholes. Anything heavier I use my 6400. If I had my druthers I'd get a 4720 with a cab but that's wayyy overkill for what I have to cut. I guess it's going to come down to getting a ZTR (997) or a 2520 with a rear finish mower.

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #13  
JESSE1 said:
I talked with my dealer a few days ago. He's used both and likes the ZTR for the speed. He really leans toward a tractor over the ZTR mainly because the tractor rides better and you're somewhat more protected from the dust compared to the ZTR. John Deere is supposed to come out with Estate models of the ZTR mowers that are a different line from what they have now.

I've used everything from Cub Cadet lawn tractors, Kubotas in a variety of sizes and John Deeres from a 455 & 4100 to the 4400 I have now. The 4400 is really too big and will cut up the yard if you turn too sharp but it's been a good tractor. It's a hard decision. I like the 997 because it's a diesel. I don't really want a large gas engine mainly because of the fuel consumption. Of course the price of the diesel compared to the others could buy a lot of fuel. John Deere needs to offer a wide range of diesel models like Kubota does.

The 997 is BIG money. I wanted a diesel, but could not justify it when I looked at the numbers. I went with the 757 - it was cheaper. The 60" cut is enough and the ZTR is so fast - it will throw you off of it if you don't watch it.

In regards to the ride - it can be hardsh. Get the spring loaded seat - makes a huge difference.

If you want to finish mow grass around a house, tress, etc - a ZTR is hard to beat. It is a purpose built machine that really does it well.

72" decks tend to scalp a lot. You might want to consider a smaller one.

What else do you need to do around your place that justified the 4400?

I heard the next ZTRs will have a trailer hitch. Which would be nice for people that want to use trailers for sprayers, etc.

D.

I figure the 997 wouldn't be any more money than a CUT equipped the same way. Downside is you're limited to just mowing with the ZTR. I bought the 4400 to try to do several jobs, mowing and pulling a hay rake being the main uses. Got tired of bouncing around the hay field so I only use the 6400 for all my field jobs now. I wish JD would make a ZTR diesel with maybe 25hp and a lower cost.

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #15  
Jesse,

You , like me, are pro-diesel. I like diesels and think they in general are better for work duties. That said, I have a hard time recommending a 997 ZTR over a 757 or 777. The difference is simply not great enough to justify the additional cost, IMO. My dad's 757, which we recently sold, would cut about three acres plus per hour in real world conditions and was actually not too bad on fuel. That model would also be much easier on the wallet. I think the 997 is too expensive for a "purpose-built" machine.

John M

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #16  
JESSE1 said:
I figure the 997 wouldn't be any more money than a CUT equipped the same way. Downside is you're limited to just mowing with the ZTR. I bought the 4400 to try to do several jobs, mowing and pulling a hay rake being the main uses. Got tired of bouncing around the hay field so I only use the 6400 for all my field jobs now. I wish JD would make a ZTR diesel with maybe 25hp and a lower cost.

I wish they made a smaller one - they don't so far. Other companies make some fine ZTRs. One that I just saw recently is Ferris., It has suspension so it won't beat you to death.

On your 6400 - I suspect my 4720 open station will never make it into the hay field except if somebody else is driving - I like my 5525 cab too much.

Maybe somebody can sneak us some insight into JD's 2008 offerings.

D.

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #17  
jcmseven said:
Jesse,

You , like me, are pro-diesel. I like diesels and think they in general are better for work duties. That said, I have a hard time recommending a 997 ZTR over a 757 or 777. The difference is simply not great enough to justify the additional cost, IMO. My dad's 757, which we recently sold, would cut about three acres plus per hour in real world conditions and was actually not too bad on fuel. That model would also be much easier on the wallet. I think the 997 is too expensive for a "purpose-built" machine.

John M

I went thru the exact debate. I have a 757 and I recently added a material handler to it. Man - it is one serious mowing machine. My wife loves to mow with it. She would never mow with the 2210. I can't keep her off the 757.

D.

I have to use a walk-behind mower to trim aroung trees and other close areas before mowing with the 4400. A ZTR mower should eliminate most trim mowing. I've never been a big fan of the Kawasaki engines. Had one in a JD JX85 walk-behind mower and never did like it. Not saying they aren't good engines, just really don't want one. The 997 may be overkill but if I get a ZTR that probably will be the one, unless they come out with a smaller model. The drawback to the ZTR mower is I'll have to find another way to spread fertilizer on the yard.

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #19  
JESSE1 said:
I have to use a walk-behind mower to trim aroung trees and other close areas before mowing with the 4400. A ZTR mower should eliminate most trim mowing. I've never been a big fan of the Kawasaki engines. Had one in a JD JX85 walk-behind mower and never did like it. Not saying they aren't good engines, just really don't want one. The 997 may be overkill but if I get a ZTR that probably will be the one, unless they come out with a smaller model. The drawback to the ZTR mower is I'll have to find another way to spread fertilizer on the yard.

I didn't like the idea of a kawasaki engine either. I talked to the JD folks and it is supposed to be a JD designed engine made by Kawasaki. That might be a line, but oh well.

D.

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #20  
JESSE1 said:
I have a '99 4400 With a 60" MMM. Tractor has about 620 hrs. on it. Basically have only used it for mowing. I do use a fertilizer spreader with it. I'm getting ready to make a change and right now I'm seriously considering a 997 zero-turn mower. The 997 has a 31hp Yanmar diesel and can be equipped with a 60 or 72" mower. My concern is that I would be going from a multi-purpose machine that mows very good but is really too big to a single purpose machine that will mow great but that's all. I've thought about a 3520 but they are physically the same tractor as the 4400. If I buy another tractor I wanted a rear mounted finish mower. If I read the specs correctly the 2000 series only come with a MMM. Anyone had any experience with a Zero-turn mower compared with a tractor?

There's only one solution to this.

Put a batwing finish mower on your 6400, then everyone will be happy.