Want some thick wall receiver tubing

/ Want some thick wall receiver tubing #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Im in the middle of building a 3 pt. receiver hitch. I like heavy duty. I would like to find some tubing with an ID of 2" that has 1/2" or at least 3/8" thick wall thickness. I realize there is an internal seam issue but I think I can deal with that. Is there such material available??

/ Want some thick wall receiver tubing #2  
I built one for the back of my bush hog the internal seam is imposiable to get out. If you build one and get the seam out let us know how you did it as mine is welded on and i can't get the hitch in................................thanks

/ Want some thick wall receiver tubing #3  
I built one for the back of my bush hog the internal seam is imposiable to get out. If you build one and get the seam out let us know how you did it as mine is welded on and i can't get the hitch in................................thanks I think you need DOM tubing it dosen't have the seam.

/ Want some thick wall receiver tubing #4  
A Die Grinder will get the ridge out fairly painlessly.

Aaron Z

/ Want some thick wall receiver tubing #5  
I used a broach to dress down the seam in square tubing back in my machine shop days...

Made a nice pull out vice holder for my van the same way... it will pull out 24" and slides easily with no slop...

Last edited:
   / Want some thick wall receiver tubing #7  
I don't think you'll find the correct style tubing for a receiver that thick. Note receiver tubing is not the same thing as 2" id square tubing.
The correct tubing is flash removed 2.5" with a .238 wall, not .250 like regular 2.5" square tube.
I'd buy the proper receiver tubing then sleeve it with larger square tubing if you need the strength.
Buy a premade receiver sleeve, sold at any trailer hitch place, or go here to see what correct receiver tubing is-Steel Flash Removed Square Tube 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x .238 (Grade A500) | Buy Small Quantities Online | Allmetalsinc.com

/ Want some thick wall receiver tubing #8  
I don't think you'll find the correct style tubing for a receiver that thick. Note receiver tubing is not the same thing as 2" id square tubing.
The correct tubing is flash removed 2.5" with a .238 wall, not .250 like regular 2.5" square tube.
I'd buy the proper receiver tubing then sleeve it with larger square tubing if you need the strength.
Buy a premade receiver sleeve, sold at any trailer hitch place, or go here to see what correct receiver tubing is-Steel Flash Removed Square Tube 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x .238 (Grade A500) | Buy Small Quantities Online | Allmetalsinc.com

Ditto what Skyco said. Buy receiver tube and reinforce the outside with something.

What are you doing that requires 1/2" thick receiver tube???

/ Want some thick wall receiver tubing #9  
   / Want some thick wall receiver tubing #10  
I have seen some 2" ID with 3/8" wall, just grind a groove in the hitch part to match the internal sleeve. You realise that Hitches are rated for up to 10K with a class III hitch. I can't imagine you would need any more than that.