Want to add on to my pole barn!

/ Want to add on to my pole barn! #11  
I would be cautious about taking the siding off of the wall if your trusses are sitting on it. The siding gives a lot of strength to that wall, especially the corners. A large cut in door might be the way to go. I am not an engineer but I feel you would lose a lot of strength removing all of your siding.

/ Want to add on to my pole barn! #12  
There are a LOT of pole barn projects in here. Do your sidewalls have girts? (Horizontal frame material -- probably wood.) How about purlins? (Same idea, but for the roof.)

They are what keeps the walls from 'racking', though the siding/roofing helps. You can always do what is done on many houses: put a panel of OSB/plywood on the corners or better yet, put an angled brace from the corners. You will also need to know what gage the metal on your barn is. Metal Sales has some good PDF instruction packages on the fittings required, as well as steps needed. Doors are generally best placed on the gable ends, as snow can't slide off the roof in front of the door. Or rain on your head.

Bigger question: how much roof surface do you have? Snow is your enemy here, as it all adds up when it slides onto the new roof.

/ Want to add on to my pole barn! #13  
I'm not sure how you want to tie on to your existing building but I also have thought about it. I found these pics on another thread awhile back, I hope they give you some ideas. You might try searching the threads for "pole barn lean to" or something similar.

337371-lean-to%20rafters.JPG 337373-Lean-to%20framed.JPG 340260-Dscn1021.jpg

/ Want to add on to my pole barn!
Im going to start soon! I really like the lean to that they are building in the pictures you posted! I think i may enclose the whole thing! We will decide as we go!

/ Want to add on to my pole barn! #15  
You might want to consider this roof option: Clayton & Lambert Image Gallery

That's my grandparent's barn in the picture. Originally used for the combine and such, now converted into a horse barn. I also used it for my front porch roof. 15' clear-span on the standard panels.

-Phillip

/ Want to add on to my pole barn! #16  
I have done this twice. My barn started its life as a 40x30' with 12' ceilings. Should have went 14' to start with but thats another story.

The first extension was done the year after I finished. I added on a 12' extension down the whole 30' side. Its 12' tall on the barn side and 8' tall on the outside. I had gravel but hated it and poured concrete 5 years later. $2000 total cost.

Last year I blew out the back of the barn. I did 20' of the original 30x40' barn. I went 12' again so now its 42' deep in that part. I did gravel again but within 3 months hated the dust and poured concrete. Total again was about $2000.

Chris

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130208_174126.png
    ForumRunner_20130208_174126.png
    603.7 KB · Views: 344
   / Want to add on to my pole barn! #17  
Here is the first extension.

Chris

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130208_174321.png
    ForumRunner_20130208_174321.png
    411.5 KB · Views: 517