want to build a tennis court

/ want to build a tennis court #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm looking for some ideas on how to build a cheap tennis court. By cheap, I mean for a few thousand dollars and it doesn't have to be US Open quality, it's just for us casual hackers to knock the ball around without having to spend over an hour round trip to town for a place to play. I know the dimensions, etc, I just need ideas on how to prepare the area and how to lay down some kind of surface without spending a lot of money. I haven't been able to find out how much a professional would do it for without having them come out and give me an estimate, which I don't want to do because I don't want to waste their time (I'm guessing they'll want over $10k, which is way more than I can afford). I have the equipment to level off the area and I can put up the fence myself. I just need some kind of playing surface put down. I know I don't want concrete since I've played on concrete before and my joints can't handle the pounding. I also don't want black asphalt since I've played on that before and the balls turn black after just a few hits and then you can't see them. Anybody have any ideas on how to do this and what it would cost?

/ want to build a tennis court #2  
Danny,

For reference... Starting from a level area, excluding a fence but including everything else... surface, coating, lines, line posts, and a net, a professionally-installed court with Rebound Ace surface (Aus Open) would run just under $20k. Other surfaces can run up to $40k.

What I would suggest as an alternative is an asphalt base with an all-weather sport surface coating on top of it to both soften the surface and avoid the balls getting dirty. This would still be a hard surface, but very durable and suitable for the type of play you describe.

Check http://www.novasports.com/ and http://mmtennis.com/ for some court surface information.

However, you might consider a professional to do the court coating... IMO, it might be worth it in the long run.

I really have no idea on the price of a surface... you'll have to check locally and also if you decide to do it yourself, with surface material suppliers.

As for the asphalt, a doubles court = either a surface of 56' x 114' or 60' x 120'. If you can do the lot prep, including grading, and preparing for just asphalt to be layed (3" base + 2" finish), you will probably be able to get the price down to near the $3,000-$4,000 mark. Call around! Then after a finish surface, fence, line posts, net, and bench, you're ready to play.

Let us know how it goes... I'd be interested to know, and the results if you do tackle the project!

msig.gif
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Muhammad on 8/23/00 09:37 PM.</FONT></P>

/ want to build a tennis court #3  
Having swung at a few balls in my younger days, I would agree with the statement reffering to sore legs or knees.

We are animal keepers. What about the old clay court? Check with any local clay court people or the outfit that might lay in a mixed content with clay for compaction. The mixture would be compacted more so than for the legs of horses. There would be a little more concern for drainage and maintenance down the road. My change of hobby's would get me this clay court only to loose it to the better half and the animals. Then she would want me to roof it. That's "LOVE"! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

And if that Muhammad just isn't a wealth of information. I think he will continue, always to amaze us. Now what was the name of that compactor than hitched to the 3 point??? The power brush on the front??? The blower for the leaves??? The blower would double as a ball launcher for single practice sessions.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ want to build a tennis court #4  
Danny,
My brother did one for about $4000.00. What he did was have about 12" of crushed stone with a topping of 4" of O's and 1's with a lot of dust. This was rolled with a very heavy roller and then he had a mason put 1 1/2" of concrete with fiber in it. It has been in for 5 years and he floods it for a ice rink in the winter. In the summer its a sport court for the kids. He just uses neting to hold the balls in. The trick is never to drive anything heavy on it, not even the lawn tractor. Hope this helps, Von

/ want to build a tennis court
Thanks for all the great info and ideas! Now that I know it can be done for around $4000 I'll start saving and planning. Von, what are "O's and 1's"?

/ want to build a tennis court #6  
Danny,
That is the size of the crushed stone. 1's are the size of small marbles and 0's are smaller. It is the size of the screen they use to sort the stones. You need alot of dust to hold it all together.

Von