Box Scraper Want to uproot scrub trees and vines

/ Want to uproot scrub trees and vines #22  
I understand the principal. I'm just saying that for me, it wasn't worth the work having to move the frame around when I had the same amount of luck just pulling the tree over. I'm removing White Oak, Live Oak and Chinese Tallow trees. It surprised me, the tree that was most difficult turned out to be the trash tree, the Tallow. A few of the Live Oaks broke off instead of coming out with the root ball. However, most of the Tallows are breaking off because even though they have a soft wood, they have MAJOR tap roots. The tap roots on the ones I've successfully removed with roots and all are as big around as the actual trunk of the tree and go down really deep. I plan on renting a BH to dig out the stumps of the trees that are breaking off.

Similar experience. Most trees pull or push over with the root ball coming up. Saplings can be chained at ground level & pulled out, but the bigger the tree the higher up we (must) put the chain. Above about 7" or 8" in diameter, my tractor usually just can't get 'em, either by pulling or pushing. Occasionally one here & there breaks off near the ground, which is a pain. I've been digging the dirt from around those & cutting them off as low as possible with a chainsaw. I've actually pulled so many saplings & other trees since last June that I've now broken four 5/16" chain links ... from the back-&-forth bending some links get when you hook the hook on it one way one time & the opposite way the next time: Just a slight bend back-&-forth a bunch of times, & they finally snap.

I'd like to try an A-frame, to pull up, but not sure it's worth the extra.

/ Want to uproot scrub trees and vines #23  

It would be fairly simple to make something like that but unfortunately, that system will not work well on a tractor but only on a skidsteer. You must maintain sideway force as you move back and forth to saw the tree and I think that could only be done effectively with a skidsteer.

/ Want to uproot scrub trees and vines #24  
Similar experience. Most trees pull or push over with the root ball coming up. Saplings can be chained at ground level & pulled out, but the bigger the tree the higher up we (must) put the chain. Above about 7" or 8" in diameter, my tractor usually just can't get 'em, either by pulling or pushing. Occasionally one here & there breaks off near the ground, which is a pain. I've been digging the dirt from around those & cutting them off as low as possible with a chainsaw. I've actually pulled so many saplings & other trees since last June that I've now broken four 5/16" chain links ... from the back-&-forth bending some links get when you hook the hook on it one way one time & the opposite way the next time: Just a slight bend back-&-forth a bunch of times, & they finally snap.

I'd like to try an A-frame, to pull up, but not sure it's worth the extra.

Shame you are not closer, I'd lend you the one I made. BTW, I'm using grade 70 chain and it's held up well so far.

/ Want to uproot scrub trees and vines #25  
   / Want to uproot scrub trees and vines #26  
It would be fairly simple to make something like that but unfortunately, that system will not work well on a tractor but only on a skidsteer. You must maintain sideway force as you move back and forth to saw the tree and I think that could only be done effectively with a skidsteer.

How about the angle of the cutting blades? Just backing up would cause lots of side force. Harder to do going foward, maybe a sharp turn or locking up one rear brake.

/ Want to uproot scrub trees and vines #27  
Here's my version of the tree gitter (see photos). To use you lower it, back up the tractor so the tree goes into the "V". Keep backing up and start to raise the 3pt and the tree will come out of the ground roots and all. Sometimes it sticks in the tree gitter, and sometimes it falls out on its own. Works great though, and was built for peanuts. In case the phot isnt good enough, the "V" shape is sharp inside, on the bottom edges. And, for clarity, both edges are fixed, nothing moves. The flat metal is !/4". The space between them is 3 or so inches, and tapers to virtually zero.

That is cool! Yet another reason to buy a welder :)

For trees that get stuck in it, it would seem you could simply drop the 3PH & drive forward.

/ Want to uproot scrub trees and vines #28  
That thing just saws off the tree at ground level. Many trash trees will simply regrow unless you mow frequently. I prefer the type of device that pulls the whole root/stump out and that type of device is much less expensive (or easier to build).

A quick application of herbicide to the outer circumference of the stump should take care of that problem in most cases.

/ Want to uproot scrub trees and vines #29  
Biker,
Do you have any pictures of that creek being made into a pond? I might be interested in doing it to my creek.

/ Want to uproot scrub trees and vines #30  
The future pond is at a weekend property. I'll try to remember to take some pics the next time I'm out there. One thing you want to consider first is the type of soil you have and how deep a good layer of clay is below the surface. Some people seem to think all you have to do to make a pond is dig a hole. While that may work in some instances, most times you will have to get down to clay and use that to line the entire bottom and sides of the pond so it will hold water.