Wanted: Satoh Beaver Front Axle Shaft - Inner Yoke

/ Wanted: Satoh Beaver Front Axle Shaft - Inner Yoke
Thanks all. So far -- all dead ends. The part is cast iron, not cast steel - so no sure way to repair.
I did find a place online that will make me one for $4000 (The internal splines are the killer). I'm still exploring options!

/ Wanted: Satoh Beaver Front Axle Shaft - Inner Yoke #12  
How did you determine it was cast iron vs. cast steel? Cast iron can be welded with a high nickel welding rod. Then it has to be cooled as slow as possible to stress relieve. Not a particularly convenient weld but doable. I broke a timing belt on an interference Toyota diesel engine from the 70's (I believe) and the pistons ran into the valves causing a few of the cast iron rockers to snap in half. I was able to weld them back together and it has been working since - maybe 20 hours ago as I don't use it much. I didn't even do a full penetration weld, just a cap around the crack with a slight bevel in it which helped keep the alignment of the parts. Like I said you can't really make it worse than what you have but I do understand putting a few hours into a part that doesn't repair nicely is no fun either.

/ Wanted: Satoh Beaver Front Axle Shaft - Inner Yoke #13  
Thanks all. So far -- all dead ends. The part is cast iron, not cast steel - so no sure way to repair.
I did find a place online that will make me one for $4000 (The internal splines are the killer). I'm still exploring options!

Where are you located? I only ask because I have a Beaver that has been sitting for a few years. I might would sale if someone wanted it. It is complete. The sector shaft for the steering broke and I just haven’t tried to fix it. It was starting to burn some oil as well so a rebuild was in order.

/ Wanted: Satoh Beaver Front Axle Shaft - Inner Yoke #14  
   / Wanted: Satoh Beaver Front Axle Shaft - Inner Yoke #15  
If you know a home shop machinist with a Bridgeport, that part can be made. Not easy in most home shops, but if the Bridgeport has a shaping head on the back end of it, then the splines can be cut using that. 1 little mistake and it is start over, but it is doable. Might be easier if you found either a yoke or the spline section and modify it rather than starting from scratch.
What horsepower is that tractor?
David from jax

So I think I do have a way forward. I do have a mill, a lathe, welders, etc. - but this is way more involved than what I can do.

I have a good buddy who is a machinist and he's gonna work on duplicating this. The major issue is the internal hub splines. They are pretty specialized and are not anything readily available. All the 21-spline couplings are all too big and the contour of the teeth is different. To truly duplicate this portion would require custom broaching and that is a dying/lost art.

To address this we're looking to modify the shaft to match to something more standard and make that into a yoke assembly. We're planning to make a few extra so anyone else who runs into this can benefit from our fix. I'll keep this post updated as things progress - but if anyone else needs one of these let me know.

How did you determine it was cast iron vs. cast steel? Cast iron can be welded with a high nickel welding rod. Then it has to be cooled as slow as possible to stress relieve. Not a particularly convenient weld but doable. I broke a timing belt on an interference Toyota diesel engine from the 70's (I believe) and the pistons ran into the valves causing a few of the cast iron rockers to snap in half. I was able to weld them back together and it has been working since - maybe 20 hours ago as I don't use it much. I didn't even do a full penetration weld, just a cap around the crack with a slight bevel in it which helped keep the alignment of the parts. Like I said you can't really make it worse than what you have but I do understand putting a few hours into a part that doesn't repair nicely is no fun either.

I did the spark test, the drill test, and the chisel test. They all confirmed - cast.

/ Wanted: Satoh Beaver Front Axle Shaft - Inner Yoke #18  
   / Wanted: Satoh Beaver Front Axle Shaft - Inner Yoke #20  
Update???