Buying Advice Wanting To Hear From Australian Chinese Tractor Owners

/ Wanting To Hear From Australian Chinese Tractor Owners #11  
Making two post on the subject was my fault I should have asked for Australians in my first posting. I'm new here and dont have the experience so hopefully it will be my one and only mistake. Is there anyway my first posting can be deleted, again I'm sorry.

You could have just claimed Alzheimer's.

/ Wanting To Hear From Australian Chinese Tractor Owners #12  
Hey david...just search the internet every now and then second hand ones come about..how small you looking? 45hp and below?
Hello,
I'm looking for Australian Chinese Tractor Owners in Australia who may like to share with me their thoughts on different Chinese Tractors that are sold in Australia.
I know Chinese tractors are all around the world but we have different legal requirements in Australia, so please don't think I'm being rude asking for Australians help at this time.
I'm currently looking at small Tractors made by Agrison, it is in my price range and while they are hard to find on the web secondhand. Does this mean they are pretty good?.
So far all secondhand Agrison ads I find take me to brand new tractors, surely out there are some good deals to be had in secondhand ones, I just don't seem to be able to find them.
Any help in where I should start looking on the web would be very helpful. Again I hope I not offending by asking for some Aussie help. Thank you.

/ Wanting To Hear From Australian Chinese Tractor Owners
Thank you, but I have given up on looking at Agrison tractors. When searching for second hand Agrison all the ads for them I clicked on took me to Agrison NEW TRACTORS.
When I read that chinesetractorreviews posting by a owner of a FT304 and the one on his website Home Page I decided that in my best interests I'd look at other chinese makes and models. Getting a good after sales service and a stable reliable tractor is vital to me and the last thing I want is something that wont meet my needs or is poorly manufactured.

/ Wanting To Hear From Australian Chinese Tractor Owners #14  
Thank you, but I have given up on looking at Agrison tractors. When searching for second hand Agrison all the ads for them I clicked on took me to Agrison NEW TRACTORS.
When I read that chinesetractorreviews posting by a owner of a FT304 and the one on his website Home Page I decided that in my best interests I'd look at other chinese makes and models. Getting a good after sales service and a stable reliable tractor is vital to me and the last thing I want is something that wont meet my needs or is poorly manufactured.

Well David I certainly think you have made an informed choice. well done

/ Wanting To Hear From Australian Chinese Tractor Owners #15  
Hi David
I'm sure if you do your research you will find the right machine ..
check this link about an Australian Chinese tractor dealer giving buying tips, has some relevance to this discussion
Tractors | Farmstyle Australia

/ Wanting To Hear From Australian Chinese Tractor Owners
Thanks willi67 , yes I'm taking my time and slowly gathering information. I still find it hard to believe that a company like Agrison can claim their tractors are compliant and meet Australia safety standards and then sell a tractor to that chap agriangry and after telling the court that they can obtain the compliance documentation upon wrting to them and still not provide it seems to be totally wrong. My biggest problem is believing what is told and what is in writing by other tractor sales people, are they the same or are they honest and law abiding. A tractor to me is going to be of great expense and the last thing I want to happen is to become another agriangry chap with another chinese brand off tractor.

/ Wanting To Hear From Australian Chinese Tractor Owners #17  
Here is a post I put up yesterday on the Foton thread
I bought a 504 Euroleopard which is a rebranded Foton 50 ehp Roll frame and sunshade 4 unequal WD Very Very happy except paint is noy good
Chinese brand engine it runs my NH square baler to the balers limit in hilly country and NH recommend 80 ehp min
I have run my Bale Bandit with it a challenge on very steep hills even ballasted and Bale Bandit needs min 90 hp but the bandit has its own pto driven hydraulic power pack as hydraulics do not give 92 litresPM at 2500PSI
It pulls a 7ft grader blade in loamy country and I can fill the blade Bought it secondhand with 192 hrs on clock f0r under half new price now around 1300hrs
Only problem a new bearing for the shaft driving the front wheels Bearing and two seals (one to keep oil in and outer around other way to keep dirt out) cost $27.00 but I put new oil in transmission $200.00
So happy I bought a 604 with 122 hrs for less than half price, equipped with level lift front end loader a perkins 1000 series 4 cyl made under licence
Fantastic it runs the bale bandit better than the 504 and as fast as i expect the bandit to go
Handles the 1/2 tonne packs with ease and pulls my 2000litre 18 metre boom spray reasonably well a bit slow up steep hills when full but soon learnt to do those paddocks when not so full
Have had a clutch problem the previous owner was quite aged and apparently traded it due to inability to manage a heavy clutch so unsurprisingly at approx 700 hours clutch plate worn out
Not easy to get a replacement so refaced it
At 780 hrs clutch failed again this time friction material stripped off clutch plate on one side
Very close inspection showed pressure plate dished toward centre by approx 1.9 mm
Sooooo machined plate and flywheel resurfaced clutch plate with material giving some 187 thou total thicker and bonded and riveted not just riveted (a belt and braces approach) cost of that total under $500 net
Now reassembled and about 40 hrs done with fingers crossed
Could do with more hydraulic capacity ie FEL a bit slow on lifting but again VERY VERY happy
All of this about $40 cheaper than some other well known brands albeit a sunshade rather than a cab
No hesitation to buy another if needed price power and performance TOPS gave best bang for buck
I also have a Jung Liang (unsure of spelling) industrial front end loader 10Tonne 125 hp class 1.7cu metre bucket Deutz motor under licence and very happy for my farm use again bought secondhand with 117 hrs
Anything else for the price of that class I was looking at a 15000 hr machine ready for a full rebuild

I am fortunate as have mechanic brother so not overly challenged by the foton dealer closing in WA
So long as you realise that in all probability the level of dealer backup will not be the same as other mainstream tractors no problem but on the other hand you have every chance of getting a newer serviceable tractor of higher specs for your money
BUT i would suggest that as far as possible do not buy a tractor that barely meets the requirements of the job
Having reserve capacity for the job increases flexibility to take on other tasks if they arise and provides a margin of safety on your present tasks. Some I know have come and asked what size tractor for their lifestyle block so I tellthem and almost invariably they buy the bare minimum because a bloke in the pub told them
Now if I am asked I suggest they ask someone in the pub because it is clear that blokes that prop up the bar in the pub are smarter than me doing the job!
Good luck with your quest but remember you can do a job with a tractor that is too big (within reason) but .........you get the idea!

/ Wanting To Hear From Australian Chinese Tractor Owners #18  
I have a 404 Foton here in Australia and have had it for 5 years. They are a good, simple and honest machine. Make sure that you change all oils soon after you get it, particularly the oil in the transmission and final drive (one in the same). The as - delivered oil is sometimes of poor quality and the tractor will benefit from a reputable oil. The submerged brakes will squeal a lot less for instance when it gets a bit warm. Chris

/ Wanting To Hear From Australian Chinese Tractor Owners #19  
I have also read that and couldn't help but wonder why someone would lose a court case and return their tractor? Common sense? And I highly doubt there is an issue with the tractors themselves, if there was, im sure the owner of the tractor would have won the case. I think some people lack common sense. I think the best thing to do is visit each dealership in person and then make a choice.
Thanks willi67 , yes I'm taking my time and slowly gathering information. I still find it hard to believe that a company like Agrison can claim their tractors are compliant and meet Australia safety standards and then sell a tractor to that chap agriangry and after telling the court that they can obtain the compliance documentation upon wrting to them and still not provide it seems to be totally wrong. My biggest problem is believing what is told and what is in writing by other tractor sales people, are they the same or are they honest and law abiding. A tractor to me is going to be of great expense and the last thing I want to happen is to become another agriangry chap with another chinese brand off tractor.

/ Wanting To Hear From Australian Chinese Tractor Owners #20  
I have also read that and couldn't help but wonder why someone would lose a court case and return their tractor? Common sense? And I highly doubt there is an issue with the tractors themselves, if there was, im sure the owner of the tractor would have won the case. I think some people lack common sense. I think the best thing to do is visit each dealership in person and then make a choice.
Never forget that when you resort to litigation you will get a lot of law and maybe not much justice.

If you are looking for a tractor then you need to tailor your looking to what you can afford.
Not only for the purchase price but following on expenses?issues.
Know that generally newcomers to the market will not have the widest dealer network or the best parts inventory.
Expect your tractor to do more than designed for then expect failure!
To use some old but perhaps now not PC commentary:
Don't send a boy to do a man's job.
A big tractor can do all a small tractor can (within reason) but the converse is that a small tractor cannot do all a big one can.
If you think you need 50 hp then you should buy 60 because all too often the task is underestimated and invariably changes over time. My father had 2 x 28 engine horsepower (ehp) tractors. I run some of the same land area and now a little more. I have a 50ehp Foton 504 a Foton 604 (60 ehp +fel) a case 2290 (156ehp), a 125 ehp industrial fel and a david brown 45 ehp with removable forklift. He used a 12 row seeder, I use a 28 row seeder. He used a 1.8 metre mower capable of about 1 acre per hour, I use a 3.1 metre moco capable of 8 acres per hour. My horsepower requirements have changed but what is done hasn't.
If you are not happy with the risk of a newcomer tractor then do not buy it.
If you want all that old school tractor suppliers have to offer then pay for it.There is no such thing as a free lunch.
There is no full dealership within over 2000km of me for my fotons, there is a limited parts supplier 100m away.
Even knowing that I bought the 604 because I was so happy with the reliability, power , simplicity (I am a simple Country boy) of the 504. I bought the 504 with 192 hrs on it, it now has 1200 or so. The 604 had 122 hrs and is now about 700. I use it for almost everything except sowing the crop and mowing the crop , the Case is for that.
Be also aware that often in the 30 to 60 hp range there are what I call full-weight tractors and compact tractors. Same hp but different weight of iron. Different weight of iron means different performance.
Locally a number of people ask my advice on what tractor they need. I have told them and the reasons for the advice.
Next time I see them they have bought something different and usually much lighter/smaller than my recommendation and they want to know a solution. When asked why? they usually reply that someone in the local pub told them. If their adviser is propping up the bar in the local pub, I doubt the value of the advice'
Now if I am asked i suggest they go to the pub and ask because the people there seem to know more than me.
At the end of the day there ain't no free lunches and you gets what you pay for.
My soapbox just collapsed under my weight so I
'll have to get off the remains.