Wanting to start small PT fab business.

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #11  
I run a small landscaping business and have been building a shop for several years. I have gotten bored with the mow and blow, fert and squirt anyone who gets laid off is in the business atmosphere. I miss being creative. I would like to start a repair business because I have skills and have a creative streak. I guess I am reluctant to pull the trigger due to perceived tool deficiencies. I would like to know from the guys that run shops what else I would have to have just to open the side door. Here is a list of the main Items I have collected.

Hobart 210 Mig
Miller 180 sd tig/stick
Miller spectrum 875 Plasma cutter
Jancy mag drill
Cheap drill press
40 ton press and brake
Ellis belt sander
Horizontal liq cooled band saw
small weld table 2.5X4'
sand blaster Kit
9" hand grinder several 4.5 grinders.
2 ton cherry picker
good air compressor

So I know I will need a torch set but will probably wait till I have to get one. So what else would I have to have? Be assured if my funds were unlimited I would not need to ask this question. I would just go by it all. But my business style is to start out with what you have to have and add the rest as you grow. So what do I need to start? Thank you in advance.

its extremely hard starting out. first and most important would be to brush up on your business skills. by this i mean "people skills". get your name out there and build a reputation. remember not to get big headed. it only takes one bad experiance to ruin it all. the markets arent the same as they were 5 years ago...or even 2 years ago. you might be able to charge $50-$65 p/hr for a repair, but dont expect to be able to bill for total hrs on every job. "fair" market value is key.

ZLineFab

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #12  
I hope you have some sort of backup restraint for that gizmo (other than friction from your setscrew). IIRC CurlyDave had a trailer mover that attached in the same fashion and it slid around on him. See his thread at: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/safety/117762-paynes-hitch-receiver.html

Aaron Z

not a set screw...its a 3/4" stainless steel bolt that goes thru a hole in bucket and is bolted from underneath. just doesnt show in photographs. i had a similar one on my JD for 8-10 years.

here is a few photos..its a stainless 3/4" bolt and nut. the "T" handle is just to help carry it. that much 1/4" plate is kinda heavy

Attachments

• 0329111630.jpg
    0329111630.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 0329111630a.jpg
    0329111630a.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
   / Wanting to start small PT fab business. #13  
not a set screw...its a 3/4" stainless steel bolt that goes thru a hole in bucket and is bolted from underneaqth. just doesnt show in photographs. i had a similar one on my JD for 8-10 years.

That should hold it.

Aaron Z

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #14  
Just my opinion, but if you have a business and cliental that is making you any living right now, it is the wrong time to more out into a new field without any clients, references or history. Really bad time to start something new, at least where I am.

MarkV

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #15  
sounds like you should be good to go:thumbsup:

i knew a guy who built a good business building railings... started out with a hacksaw, hand drill, and crescent wrench.:)

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #16  
Experience......
All the tools in the world will not help you be successfull unless you "know" the work your getting into. You better know what works and what doesn't. I'm by no means say dont do it, I'm just saying don't take chances on stuff with the "I think it'll work" or "good enough" attitude - if you're not sure about something, learn it and do it right or let the job pass......
What kind of fab projects do ya want to do?
Making custom bumpers / rock sliders for the 4x4 truck crowd? Metal lawn art? General welding type repairs for anything and everything?

I can tell ya I've been around equipement and doing fab work for a little while -- mostly tubing, channel, sheet steel work - Modifactions for machinery and trucks mostly. But also some lighter sheet metal stuff when needed.
Here's an example of a good "side job" in the home shop that took about 5 or 6 Saturdays to line a roll off dumpster for "dewatering".
From this bare dumpster:
DSC01179.jpg

to this - floor / wall structure to allow it to drain:
DSC01422.jpg

on to this - lined with screen - expaned metal sides and heavy perforated floor to carry the weight:
DSC01560.jpg

Including 4" drains all around it - all water tight welds:
DSC01436.jpg

I got into this only after 12 or 13 years of doing similar work at my regular job. I knew what the work physicly took and how to source the tools and materials and arrange shipping / unloading..... I would have been in over my head to tackle it without prior experience.

This was one of my favorite shots form that project - the endless weld:
DSC01514.jpg