Tiller Wanting to up grade from my KK

/ Wanting to up grade from my KK #1  

rbg60

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH 2400 case Ih Jx75
I have a 7ft KK now but would like to up grade to a heavier tiller. I have a Case JX75 that seems to have too much hp for the KK. The JX is listed at aprox.62-64 at pto. I'm considering either a Maschio H or Sicma Pheonix T20. Is one better than the other or are they both pretty sound?

My soil has no rocks and is medium density. Is there much advantage on a tiller with multiple speeds. Thanks

/ Wanting to up grade from my KK #2  
I don't know if this will be of any help, but I have a little 48" Phoenix T4 and the workmanship is terrific. The welds are beautiful, the paint job is extremely nice and it seems to be a high quality tiller. I only got it this Spring, but put it through it's paces and I am very pleased with the results when tilling. I did have some of the bolts on 1 set of tines loose when I got it.

I can't imagine that the quality would drop off on a much larger, more expensive machine. The KK's that I also looked at looked as though they were manufactured with the thought that "hey, it's just a tiller" attitude, certainly more than serviceable but a bit on the rough side. The Phoenix looks as if it was manufactured like a nice car would be. That's just my limited observation of what I've personally seen.

/ Wanting to up grade from my KK #3  
I have a 7ft KK now but would like to up grade to a heavier tiller. I have a Case JX75 that seems to have too much hp for the KK. The JX is listed at aprox.62-64 at pto. I'm considering either a Maschio H or Sicma Pheonix T20. Is one better than the other or are they both pretty sound?

My soil has no rocks and is medium density. Is there much advantage on a tiller with multiple speeds. Thanks

I have a Kuhn EL62 210 that is a fantastic machine. Two weeks ago I tilled grass and weeds that were head high and it did a great job and didn't wrap around the rotor at all. Amazing. My JD 660 had to have the patch mowed or it would wrap grass like craZy and then you would have to get down and cut and yank on it to clean it off. The Kuhn is just a wonderful tiller. They rate it down to just 7" tilling depth but mine has no issue tilling to 9 or 10 inches deep and I've never even had the wheels raised to till at the deepest. The wheels are nice and better than skids that are also a pain to adjust. The wheels adjust easy and are almost fun to adjust. The skids not so much. If you want even heavier duty look at the EL 82 series. They are made in France near the German border. Check them out.

/ Wanting to up grade from my KK
I couldn't find a lot of information on the Kuhn. I did find a used Kuhn EL82 for over 7000,probably more than I want to spend. It seemed liked they had more than one type of tiller. I will do a little more checking today. Thanks

I don't know if this will be of any help, but I have a little 48" Phoenix T4 and the workmanship is terrific. The welds are beautiful, the paint job is extremely nice and it seems to be a high quality tiller. I only got it this Spring, but put it through it's paces and I am very pleased with the results when tilling.

I also have heard the same thing about the Phoenix quality.

/ Wanting to up grade from my KK #6  
I have a KK 6 footer and I beat the crap out of it. The only issue I've ever had is seals leaking. I replaced them and haven't had a problem since. It could use some new tines is about all. What is it exactly that you don't like about the KK. I know it's not pretty but beauty is as beauty does. :)
You said the tractor has too much HP for the tiller. Have you broken it? Do you slip the clutch. Just curious.
I put 50 pto through mine.

I have a KK 6 footer and I beat the crap out of it. The only issue I've ever had is seals leaking. I replaced them and haven't had a problem since. It could use some new tines is about all. What is it exactly that you don't like about the KK. I know it's not pretty but beauty is as beauty does. :)
You said the tractor has too much HP for the tiller. Have you broken it? Do you slip the clutch. Just curious.
I put 50 pto through mine.

Al I broke the yoke on the first pass with the new KK. I now constantly slip the clutch and sometimes with heavy smoke. I assumed when buying the 7ft KK seeing that it had a cat. 2 hitch that it also had a heavier gear box. I was disappointed when I found out that the 5,6,7,all had the same (45hp) gearbox. I know the KK has quite a following here but I think its people with less hp tractors.I'm sure a 5fter would hold up quite well with say a 35 hp tractor.

/ Wanting to up grade from my KK #8  
Al I broke the yoke on the first pass with the new KK. I now constantly slip the clutch and sometimes with heavy smoke. I assumed when buying the 7ft KK seeing that it had a cat. 2 hitch that it also had a heavier gear box. I was disappointed when I found out that the 5,6,7,all had the same (45hp) gearbox. I know the KK has quite a following here but I think its people with less hp tractors.I'm sure a 5fter would hold up quite well with say a 35 hp tractor.

Tightening the clutch doesn't help? I never paid any attention to the gear box rating. I guess I'm putting too much HP into mine. The only time I EVER slipped the clutch was when I hung a piece of 2 inch pipe that was buried and locked up the tines and yeah, that smoked a bit before I could clutch the tractor. I can't imagine slipping the clutch in normal soil. Oh well. I wish you the best in whatever you get. I'll keep hammering on mine until I break it I guess. :)

PS one more thing and I'll shut up. 63 pto hp here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYHWVwFevI

Thanks for the clip Al. I wish he would trade me tillers! Really though he only made a few short passes. I might till two to three acres at a time. I called KK when I broke the yoke, they wouldnt stand behind their warranty ,said my tractor has to much hp. I figured they know their implements so its time to move on, that's why I posted the original question wanting to upgrade to a heavier duty tiller.

/ Wanting to up grade from my KK #10  
Maschios are really good, I have 3, a E180 , C250 and a Pantera 520. E180 is about 15 years old and still runs really good. No problems what so ever. Except a gearbox seal on the Pantera 520. But that was a problem when it came from factory. Maschios are probably #1 in the tiller market.