Warm up time?

/ Warm up time? #21  
Rode hard and put up wet? Makes a lot of sense, and I hadn't thought of that. I remember the commercial (not the brand name). That DIDN'T make sense, and frankly I didn't believe them. Experience indicates that if you drain the oil and water from a race car and drive it 100 miles in the hot sun, you won't have to worry about putting oil in, because the rods will be sticking out the bottom of the pan. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

SHF

/ Warm up time? #22  
Regarding letting the engine cool down after running it hard,
how do you know that it's back to normal?

The temperture gauge doesn't move that much (B7500HST).

Last weekend, I ran it for about five hours at 2,000 to
2,500 rpm, most of that mowing, but the using the FEL
to move a pile of dirt.

Tractor was quite hot when I was done (air temp was in the
mid 80's and sunny).

I brushed my hand against one of the hydraulic connections
and burned myself.

I let the engine run a under 1,000 rpms (lowest throttle position possible) while I hosed the tractor down; took
about five minutes.

Then stuck in the garage and shut it off.

/ Warm up time? #23  
Despite all the theory I would say running it for a few minutes after operating at high load would be enough to calm things down. It's the rapid changes you want to avoid.

The challenge is that the additional wear caused by rapid shut-off is not easy to see in the short term. It will add up over the long haul though.

By the way, one of my pet peeves is watching people tearing out of their driveways in the winter just seconds after they have started the car. It just bugs me to see engines abused like that.

/ Warm up time? #24  
Thanks.

I know what you mean re: people starting their cars and
taking off. My wife does that ($35,000 Jeep); I cringe and
bite my tongue though.

I always let my car get to idle before I move, winter or
summer.

/ Warm up time? #25  
I remember reading an article waaaaayyyy back. It was Tom Mcahill (I think /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif) in Popular Mechanics. He stated that a minute or two was sufficient warmup time, and after that you are trading fuel economy for engine longevity. IOW - beyond a couple of minutes warmup, you are wasting fuel to make the engine last a couple more miles.

My wife still likes to warmup her van for 15 minutes before she takes off. 'course she's an extreme case, but that's part of the reason I married her... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The GlueGuy

/ Warm up time? #26  
ibeleive the main reason for the warm up is to allow the oil to warm up enough to make the hydraulics work ok.even in summer i give my 2400 3 to 5 min. to warm up(what can it hurt) in winter give it 5 to 10 to warm up. start it and go have a sip of coffee before plowing. and i plow a lot up here in western ny./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif