Warm weather cold starting

/ Warm weather cold starting #1  

Kosmo

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford/NH 1715
I'm having some problems getting my 1715 started after splitting and doing a clutch repair. Since getting the tractor used, several years ago, I've always needed to use the glow plug warming for the first start no matter what the outdoor temp. Now that doesn't even work. I had to use ether to fire it up. Can anyone instruct me how to troubleshoot the glow plug warming circuit? Second question -- Is it abnormal to need the glow plug warmer on a warm day and if so what should I check. Thanks!

/ Warm weather cold starting #2  
Check if your glow plugs actually get any power first place.

/ Warm weather cold starting
   / Warm weather cold starting #4  
Yes, I have to use it for the first start.

/ Warm weather cold starting #6  
A friend has a 1715 and new from the factory it wouldn't start without warming it first. Makes me wonder if they did everything right at the factory with that model. Every other tractor I've seen and ran has cranked with what it sounds like only one compression stroke. Even the 1966 Case 6 cyl. I have sounds like just one or two compression strokes and it's going. The one my friend has seemed like it took a while for smoke to come from the exhaust which makes me think that fuel may drain back from the injectors and it has to pump it back to them before it can start. Once they're going those tractors are tough!

/ Warm weather cold starting
A friend has a 1715 and new from the factory it wouldn't start without warming it first. Makes me wonder if they did everything right at the factory with that model. Every other tractor I've seen and ran has cranked with what it sounds like only one compression stroke. Even the 1966 Case 6 cyl. I have sounds like just one or two compression strokes and it's going. The one my friend has seemed like it took a while for smoke to come from the exhaust which makes me think that fuel may drain back from the injectors and it has to pump it back to them before it can start. Once they're going those tractors are tough!

Interesting! Mine won't even start without warming til it's been running for about 10 min. Found out my problem though. The connector to the instrument panel indicator came loose during reassembly. Glow plugs won't work without no juice!