Warming Up A Hydro Tractor

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #21  
I would also suggest putting in Hydraulic and Block heaters... they are relatively inexpensive (from Deere) and if you plug the units in about 20 minutes before use, the warm up period is snap and starting is much easier.

Living in Minnesota, I'd say this is a necessity. :)

-Bob

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #22  
I would also suggest putting in Hydraulic and Block heaters... they are relatively inexpensive (from Deere) and if you plug the units in about 20 minutes before use, the warm up period is snap and starting is much easier.

Living in Minnesota, I'd say this is a necessity. :)

-Bob

Yup... I had both heater's in my old JD 970 and ordered both with my 110TLB. And, like Ralph mentioned - I use synthetic engine oil (JD 0w-40w), too.

'Course up here I also use Lo-Vis hyd oil year-round. And, even then -- when it's really cold -- GO SLOW and take your time working the tractor. You'll know it when the tranny is sufficiently warmed up; the pedals won't feel like you're stepping on a block of wood and the machine will actually move faster than a garden slug!

AKfish

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #23  
If I have time I always plug in the block heater on my 2210 at least a half hour before I start it at the arctic temps we're talking about. There are times when I have to get going to work in the morning and I start the tractor and as soon as I have oil pressure I slowly increase the throttle up to 2500 and then start moving snow slow and easy. After a couple minutes the engine starts to sound "happier" and we get serious with the snow. I had a scare one time I started the tractor up at 20 below and the motor oil was too thick to pump through the engine. I placed a magnetic heater on the oil pan and tried again an hour later. There was no issue with the hydrostat other than the loader moving real slow at first. Basically, the diesel engine wants more time to warm up than the hydrostat needs, but there have been times when the go pedal sticks and the tractor seems intent on making a new garage door opening.

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor
If I want to install a block heater in my 4310, where does it go?
I want to install the JD heater.
Does it screw in the block, or does it replace a freeze plug?

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #26  
Mine is installed in the block. The Hydraulic heater is installed where the suction filter is located.

I'd suggest getting both - they really do help when the cold weather is abundant.

-Bob