Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #11  
Like everyone has said, you'll be fine if you have flat dry land. My choice would be a 30hp range 4wd machine over a 40 hp 2wd. I think the smaller 4wd machine would out work the larger machine in most cases.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #12  
unless that 40hp weighs more than 3,000lbs more than the 30hp 4wd

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #13  
I drove a 2wd for 20 years. It did all I asked of it...in every type of situation.

I now have a 4wd, and love it. I'd never go back to 2wd again.

That said, a 2wd would still do everything I need, but the 4wd does it better.

4wd...not needed in my case... but nicer to have.

I doubt you'll be disappointed either way.

X2.........

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #14  
I understand your point, for us though, 17K is all we are willing to spend, not all we can spend. We have other priorities that need funding as well so it's not really a matter of saving up. If we saved another 5K it would just go else where and getting a new tractor really is a luxury. So considering that that's the most I am willing to spend, the brand new aspect seems appealing. Would you guys rather have a 2000 hour 4wd or a brand new 2wd of the same chassis size and HP rating? And by the way, resale value isn't an issue for me. I keep things forever, so I'm looking for something that will last a long long time.

Will post here after purchasing the 2WD that you wished that you had purchased the 4WD ? Or just stay silent about it? "more stuff to go wrong" is not a valid statement. Are you just hauling rose bushes to the flowerbed or are you using the loader ?

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #15  
Heavy, two wheel drive tractors have worked and performed well for decades.

Don't be pushed into something you may not need.

We used a 2 wheel drive Massey Ferguson 135 for 40 years on a 20 acre farm with very damp soil conditions 9 months our of the year. To ensure traction, we did chain the rear tires. We NEVER had a traction problem.

That Mahindra 4025 is a good machine and a GREAT value. I bet it will exceed your expectations.

Who is pushing? Just telling you that once you go to 4WD you will wonder hwy you put up with 2WD. My Great Grand Pappy did just fine farming with horses and outdoor plumbing but better methods are available today.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #16  
unless that 40hp weighs more than 3,000lbs more than the 30hp 4wd

True if that were the case bit I doubt there is that big of gap. I also would steer away from the gear drive like that mahindra has. An hst 30hp model will out perform it with loader work. I would hate to go back to the days of shifting 100 times to move a pile of dirt.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #17  
I can't believe people are defending two wheel drive ANYTHING. With two when drive you can get stuck one wet brass - been there done that with a Dodge Power wagon. Literally needed to put in 4WD to get off the wet grass. Try running in mud, snow, sand with two wheel drive.

I can guarantee you this, all the "chains" in the world won't get you out of sand or mud if you get buried. Can you get buried in a 4WD, absolutely, but generally you can get out or avoid getting stuck with a 4wd before being "buried". More often then not it's just putting it in 4wd and you out before teh wheels start spinning and digging you in.

For whatever the additional price of 4WD is it's worth it.

I've been driving for 50 years and I've always had a 4wd and needed them all at one time or another. Can't tell you how many times 4WD saved me. I won't even go into how many times I was the only one on the roads during bad snow storms, how save I was driving in the Tetons when they has a "freak" ice storm.

When I purchased my new property I rented a 2WD tractor, the rental company dropped it off in the street I went 20 feet onto the property and was buried in the sand. The delivery guy wasn't even back to the shop when I called then to pick up the useless tractor. Next day I bought a 4WD tractor.
It's your money, do as you wish, but do take advice from people that have been around the block a few times.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #18  
Since most of us aren't getting any younger, we go for operating convenience as much as raw hp. 2WD means R-1 tires, which means roughing up some terrain when operating, and even 12.4x28 R-1s won't power you out of a hole once dug in up to the drawbar in mud or snow. Extra weight won't help you there, other than maybe to get you into that situation. Stomping pedals and crashing gears is no fun when doing FEL work. (BTDT)

4WD makes up for hp by getting torque to the ground, and I never ran out of power before running out of traction. I've had one ~30 hp 4WD and one 45+hp 2WD for over a decade (older & newer models of each). The smaller HSTs (NHs) have done 98% or so of my work, with the bigger guys (JDs) only used for the heaviest lifting with FEL. The NHs are barely 5' wide, are conveniently trailerable, and have the oats to work my 60" box blade, brush hog, & tiller and others well matched to it's o'all width, as well as pulling a 7' disc.

If a poll were taken, I'd bet a great number of us have gone from 2WD to 4WD, many to HST, and perhaps as many to lower hp when replacing 'ol Betsy and find them far more economical/convenient to service/operate. I suggest getting some seat time on other machines within one's price range. A 30hp, 4WD HST should fall within budget (esp w/'cash' vs common 5-7% higher 'free financing' OTD price).

LS, Mahindra, Kioti, and Branson surely have credible ~30hp HSTs w/FEL close to the OP's price range, a sweet spot performance-wise among happy owners who do everything but field work, but able to do some if needed. A secured, low int 1-2 yr loan for another few thou could add to buying power, but shouldn't be necessary. Shop till you drop, lest you learn what others have about trading up quickly to 'what I wish I'd bought'. tog

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #19  
To get 40HP with four wheel drive at a max budget of $17,000 cash, (including sales tax if its an in state dealer purchase I assume), you're looking used.

Be patient, and open minded about all brands, and something workable will eventually come along.

(Confusing wants with needs can be tempting. I respect your stick to your budget self-discipline. It has become an increasingly rare trait.)

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #20  
I know you have your budget but I would do what ever it takes to get 4wd. always better to have and not need than need and not have. I had a 30hp 4wd and then jumped to 50. But the 30 did most of what I needed so I am with the others, get the 30 4wd instead of 40 2wd. I do think it matters what your doing with it but you'll never have the same conditions all the time.