Wash it

/ Wash it #31  
The kind of effects you're talking about are most likely caused by a calcium chloride solution. Here in Ohio, we reserve that for temperatures below about 10 deg F. Regular sodium chloride brine freezes around that temperature, depending on concentration.

/ Wash it #32  
Having lots of car plants here, we are likely applying CaCl2 up to 10C !

Don't lick your car.

Calcium chloride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Calcium chloride can act as an irritant by desiccating moist skin. Solid calcium chloride dissolves exothermically, and burns can result in the mouth and esophagus if it is ingested. Ingestion of concentrated solutions or solid products may cause gastrointestinal irritation or ulceration.[24]

Other possible side effects of taking calcium chloride include:

A chalky taste in the mouth
Hot flashes
Lowered blood pressure
Loss of appetite
Feeling sick (nausea)
Being sick (vomiting)
Constipation
Stomach pain
Feeling weak
Mental disturbances
Extreme thirst
Passing a large amount of urine
Bone pain
Kidney stones
Irregular heart beat
Coma

Any of these may be a sign of overly high calcium blood levels (hypercalcemia).[25]

Calcium chloride salts also tend to contain a small amount of metals, especially aluminium. Over time these metals can accumulate in the body and have a toxic effect.

Good stuff, eh what !

Rgds, D.

/ Wash it #33  
   / Wash it #34  
1997 F150 front left brake line finally rusted through last spring. couldn't get the fitting off the junction due to rust so I had to replace everything back to the master cylinder and under the engine.

/ Wash it #35  
Standard on Volvos since the 1980s...

Aaron Z

I still have the original brake lines on my 89. I've found I have to watch though, the latest road-juice here is beginning to show a small amount of surface activity on those lines, here and there. I always have cans of Rust Check around, for touch-ups on those spots.

The metallurgy was well understood a long time ago. Any graduate engineer, or even an on the ball HS student, should be able to spec what is needed.

Many car companies still choose to put the lower cost steel lines on. Consumer ignorance is the main reason this practice persists in safety systems like braking and fuel handling.

It's cheaper that way.

Rgds, D.

/ Wash it #36  
1997 F150 front left brake line finally rusted through last spring. couldn't get the fitting off the junction due to rust so I had to replace everything back to the master cylinder and under the engine.

PITA repair.

That said, that's decent life-span for up in salt country.

A friend did his lines on his Yukon XL about 2 winters back. Extra fun on that one, because the ABS block is halfway down the truck - you end up using a pile of extra line, vs. having the ABS block under the hood. To pay shop time for all that work is enough to convince many folks to just scrap the truck.

See how this game works ? :rolleyes:

Rgds, D.

/ Wash it #37  
Stainless steel brake lines are available preformed on the internet. I replace all the oem lines on my trucks with the stainless when I have the first problem. As for fittings cut the line with dikes, soak with penetrate and use a small impact to take them off. The shock will usually free a frozen barrel nut where a wrench would strip it.

/ Wash it #38  
I've replaced brake lines on several GM trucks. Usually the one on the rear axle has a black coating and is in decent shape. The rest are usually in very bad shape. The replacement lines from the dealer all have the black coating on them. Guess what line is not included in the kit, the one on the rear axle. I did brake lines on an 2004 Silverado when the truck was 4 years old. I used the Napa Armor coated brake lines and they still look good. The fuels lines on these trucks are also prone to rusting.