Washboard Driveway Repair

/ Washboard Driveway Repair #11  
This is all dependent on you having a boxscraper

A boxscraper and an adjustable top link make a huge difference. Realize the permanancy of what you do is dependent on just what the driveway is dressed with. BillyP mentions taking the high spots off, this is necessary because they are going to stay otherwise and the lows will come back quickly if all you do is fill them. It's a bit of a challenge to get it to stay flat and pothole free for very long without new material. My best efforts typically consist of ripping the whole surface slightly to get somewhat of a homogenous or consistent base. That will depend on your material. If it cuts the high spots easily, then don't rip. From there, provided you have hydraulic top link you can quickly experiment with the various angles available to you on the box blade angles. I can't tell you how to do it here since if your top link does not extend/retract like mine, it would be a useless explaination. It also very much depends on the surface and whether it can support the boxblade bottom "shoes", that thin part of the box on each end that rests on the surface. I end up using either extreme ( top link full out/in) of the boxblade a lot. Often, neither blade is in the cutting position. My final passes typically with new rock is fully retracted top link allowing about 1" of material to pass under the blades. If it were dirt or AB, I might tilt it so link is fully extended allowing only the rear blade to smooth, compact and level the surface. It's a bunch of experimenting which can be done with a manual top link, but you'd wear out with the number of adjustments needed to do a typical driveway. My advice, put the tractor in Low. Go slow and watch what the boxblade is doing. Think about what needs to be done. Cut off tops so angle on box can be critical. To strong or aggresive and your into tops, middles and bottoms. Not enough bite and your rolling over everything.

/ Washboard Driveway Repair #12  
CTKOB... I use a box blade with my old MF135, but what I do is cross cross back and forth as opposed to going in a straight line. This helps with the magnifying the problem. What we also do in our neighborhood (5+ miles of dirt road) is to cut it with a disc harrow which is dragging a heavy I-Beam behind it. This cuts the bumps and then smooths it. It would be really great if we had a huge roller to compact it after we did this. This would probably be a great way to go since it's a driveway with not much traffic.

/ Washboard Driveway Repair #13  
Back and forth criss cross. Poncho, how wide is your road? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Washboard Driveway Repair #14  
RaT... our neighborhood roads are about 40 to 50 ft wide and my drive way is about 20 which with my small tractor and 6' box gives me just enough to criss cross.

/ Washboard Driveway Repair #15  
Larry

I've got an 8' boxblade if you'd like to borrow it. You can just pick it up at the farm. It's on the right side of the parh toward where we repaired the tires. Give me a call or just pick it up.

Andy