Ballast Washer Fluid for Ballast

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #31  
Add some rv antifreeze to that or better yet..eco safe af and you are set.. no freeze.. and enviro safe.. and has corrosion inhibitors..

Soundguy

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #32  
Harry c said:
Guys if you check, I think you'll find that both your tire and tractor manufacturers approve the use of Calcium Chloride in tubeless tires. In fact my new Kubota comes from the factory that way. Just make sure you fill the tire to 75% so the inside of the wheel is always covered with the liquid.
Calcium Chloride is significantly different than "salt" which is Sodium Chloride. It's far less corrosive and far less damaging to grass etc. For those reasons, it's used extensively for ice removal even though the cost is higher than salt.

Windshield washer fluid usually contains ethanol or methanol. Both attack rubber... I'm not aware of any corrosion inhibitors in WW fluid. the alchohol would do a good job of removing any corrosion inhibitor that might already be on the wheel. Still, it probably won't hurt a thing as it's not very concentrated.

Just a tip, If you garage your tractor or live in the south where it doesn't stay cold long enough to freeze your tires, just fill them with water. It's really easy to adapt an air chuck to a water hose, turn on the faucet and fill'er up! When you don't need the weight, just unscrew the valve core and let it out. Works great. I have some old IHC wheels with water for 15 years. Had CaCl in them for 10 before that. Tubeless of course.

2 things I'd like to comment on. 1st, the CaCl being "far less corrosive and far less damaging to grass". On a couple occasions, I've punctured tires containing CaCl. By the time I got the tractor parked where I could change the tube, a few gallons sprayed out of the hole and all over the tractor. The VERY NEXT DAY, any scratches or worn painted areas were solid rust. While it may be SOMEWHAT LESS CORROSIVE than plain salt, it is still HIGHLY corrosive. And it will kill grass in short order as well as "sterilizing" the soil for a good while. There's no such thing as "slightly dead grass".

As far as windshiel washer fluid attacking rubber? I've got one tractor that's had 70 gallons of WWF in each rear tire (16.9"X30") for the better part of 15 years now. Tires are almost worn out, but there's been no "attack" from with-in. No troubles with the tubes or the tires. (Methanol base)

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #33  
I have to agree 100%.

When my 8n lost a rear tire and tube early last year, the insid eof the rim was pristine old metal when i parked her. By the next day when i broke the rim down to head to the tire store, she had surface rust all over her. There was white curst on my concrete where the 11.4-28 tire had drained and run off the concrete to the grass. A 1' margin of grass where the water ran off was brown the next morning... Like Farm says.. there is no ' partially dead' grass.

I've also used WW fluid in tubes with no more problems than plain water.. actually.. less problems with valve stems using the ww fluid or water and AF mix being the best.... etc.

Soundguy

Farmwithjunk said:
2 things I'd like to comment on. 1st, the CaCl being "far less corrosive and far less damaging to grass". On a couple occasions, I've punctured tires containing CaCl. By the time I got the tractor parked where I could change the tube, a few gallons sprayed out of the hole and all over the tractor. The VERY NEXT DAY, any scratches or worn painted areas were solid rust. While it may be SOMEWHAT LESS CORROSIVE than plain salt, it is still HIGHLY corrosive. And it will kill grass in short order as well as "sterilizing" the soil for a good while. There's no such thing as "slightly dead grass".

As far as windshiel washer fluid attacking rubber? I've got one tractor that's had 70 gallons of WWF in each rear tire (16.9"X30") for the better part of 15 years now. Tires are almost worn out, but there's been no "attack" from with-in. No troubles with the tubes or the tires. (Methanol base)

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #34  
I had the same experience with calcium chloride. Bought a used tractor and a local farmer pointed out my rim was so rusty the tube was buldging out. He told me he has had rims to come apart while in the field. I let the fluid out and everywhere it sprayed on the tractor it rusted. I had to buy two rims. I pumped used antifreeze into the new rims. Ask your local garage owner if you can have his used antifreeze. He should let you have it bacause he has to pay to have it disposed of.