washing off grease

/ washing off grease #1  

rkeith

Silver Member
Tractor
GC1720 TLB
How can I remove grease off my tractor? Should I wash it in something like Dawn dish soap or just use a pressure washer? Looking for advice on this.

/ washing off grease #2  
I use this stuff called purple power, I bought it at Walmart. I spray it on the greasy areas, then let it soak for about 5-10 minutes, then I use my pressure washer to spray off the greasy areas that the purple power has cut into. Just be careful not to break any electrical wires on your tractor with the pressure washer. You could possibly just use the pressure washer on the grease depending on how bad it is.
Ryan

/ washing off grease #3  
Depending where the grease is...

If it's on metal, use a bit of diesel on a rag to get the worst off and then clean up using normal washing up liquid.

If it's on paint or plastic you'll need a proper de-greaser, but be careful to follow the instructions or you might do damage... I once managed to strip the paint off a mud guard having spayed degreaser onto it and then leaving it for too long before rinsing - an expensive mistake!

Often the pressure washer will spread the grease, unless you have removed the majority first with one of the above methods.

:thumbsup:

/ washing off grease #4  
You can clean the grease several ways.

Of course a pressure washer will knock the grease around and some of it off.

It is probably not totally grease covered, but maybe a slick coat of oil or hyd fluid.

You can spray on some Dawn, and let it set for a while, and then take a stiff brush and go over everything.

You could also add some Dawn to a tank of water and use a bleach adapter to suck the Dawn water solution and clean everything using a pressure washer.

The bleach adapter puts out fluid at low pressure, but if you have a long hose, and you are spraying using the bleach adapter, the 100 ft hose is full of a mixture, then switch to high pressure and you will be pressure washing using a high pressure detergent mix. Do this in cycles and you will clean everything.

/ washing off grease #5  
Local motion is right, I forgot to consider the plastic, be careful with the pressure washer as well, if you get to close, or you hit a poorly painted area, where paint is flaking, you will strip the paint off with pressure washers. Also like local motion said the degreaser are usually very potent and need to be diluted. Test a small non visible area first to make sure the degreaser doesn't counteract whatever the paint is and pull it off or ruin the integrity. I would also avoid all electronics if possible, or at least cover them. Also be careful around plastic with the degreasers, as it can ruin the integrity of these as well

/ washing off grease #6  
I will agree with the purple power, good stuff for cutting grease cleaning carpet and taking off pine sap. I have been using it for years, Walmart has the best price, just can't leave it on painted surfaces to long or it will leave a white film that is hard to get off. I agree with the 5 or 10 minutes or rinse before if starts to dry, the sun will dry it quicker, just consider that when applying it on painted surfaces. I agree with diesel, but then the smell stay with you all day, but works good

/ washing off grease #7  
Depending where the grease is...

If it's on metal, use a bit of diesel on a rag to get the worst off and then clean up using normal washing up liquid.

If it's on paint or plastic you'll need a proper de-greaser, but be careful to follow the instructions or you might do damage... I once managed to strip the paint off a mud guard having spayed degreaser onto it and then leaving it for too long before rinsing - an expensive mistake!

Often the pressure washer will spread the grease, unless you have removed the majority first with one of the above methods.:thumbsup:

Good advice. :D :eek:

/ washing off grease #8  
How can I remove grease off my tractor? Should I wash it in something like Dawn dish soap or just use a pressure washer? Looking for advice on this.

Wipe the big goops off with paper towel and toss, then spray the residue with WD40. WD40 will dissolve the remaining residue instantly, and it is absolutely safe for metals, plastics, or whatever. Then, shoot it with a pressure washer and you're all set.

WD40 is also useful for removing accidental Sharpie marks, and spray paint overspray.

JayC

/ washing off grease #9  
Off subject, I know, but I do love WD-40...

1) Protects silver from tarnishing.
2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4) Gives floors that 阻ust-waxed sheen without making it slippery.
5) Keeps flies off cows.
6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7) Removes lipstick stains.
8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
9) Untangles jewellery chains.
10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
18) It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor
19) Removes bug guts from your car paint
20) Gives a children痴 play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21) Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling mowers.
22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows.
24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles
26) Restores and cleans roof racks & bumpers on vehicles.
27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles.
29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers.
30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31) Removes splattered grease on stove.
32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
36) Relieves arthritis pain.
37) Florida痴 favourite use is: 田leans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.
38) The favourite use in the state of New York WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it痴 a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
40) Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42) Also, if you致e discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!
43) If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

Best of all - WD-40 main ingredient is actually a blend of fish oils :thumbsup:

/ washing off grease #10  
Wipe the big goops off with paper towel and toss, then spray the residue with WD40. WD40 will dissolve the remaining residue instantly, and it is absolutely safe for metals, plastics, or whatever. Then, shoot it with a pressure washer and you're all set.

WD40 is also useful for removing accidental Sharpie marks, and spray paint overspray.

JayC

X 2.......WDFix-all is good stuff......:thumbsup: