Waste Oil Handling, Got Grease?

/ Waste Oil Handling, Got Grease? #1  

Oldtoad

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310, Bolens-Isiki
Have been on hold, before draining the 12 gallons of hydraulic fluid, thinking, how do we transfer it to the 5 gal buckets?
What does it get drained into? Thinking a plastic tote but not comfortable with 12 gallons in one flimsy tank.
Ideas?

Also, got grease? I like tubes but thinking of other ways of doing it...
Ended up waiting at a Tractor supply for the weekly shipment to get unloaded, picked up 10 tubes.

/ Waste Oil Handling, Got Grease? #2  
A buddy of mine has 2 oil extractor pumps he uses for auto's, and his tractors, and loves them. There are so many types, and styles, to pull oil out of auto's, and hold it, to larger one's that pump into a container. For 12 gallons worth, you could get one that pumps into a container, and at least pump it down to a manageable level, to pull the plug, and catch in a regular oil drain pan.

Back in the 60's, we got grease in like 2.5 gallon buckets, with a special plate inside that you took the top of the grease gun off, then put the barrel on the outlet of the bucket. Pulled the handle out, while slightly pushing down on that plate, and would fill the gun. Tubes are so much handier.

At work, they got grease in 15 gallon barrels, and had an air greaser to grease the trucks. I put a 45º grease zerk in my tube type grease gun, replacing the bleeder valve, for greasing equipment out on the road. Just snap the air greaser gun on that fitting, and fill it that way. But always carried a couple tubes of grease in my work truck, in case I forgot to fill it.

/ Waste Oil Handling, Got Grease? #3  
I took a partially crushed (one end) of an aluminum big truck fuel tank from the salvage yard and cut the good end off with my recip saw and made a nice drain pan for mine (they each hold 15 gallons of fluid. Tigged on a set of handles to move it with. I put the used fluid back into the 5 gallon pails the new fluid came from and take it to an outfit that has a waste oil burner so they can use it to heat their shop, Glad to have it.

I bulk load my grease guns from my air greaser. No mess.

/ Waste Oil Handling, Got Grease? #4  
Here is what I used and it worked great, changed the 11+ gal of hydro fluid and engine oil into it at the same time, loaded it into the back of my pickup and then dumped it at my local oil recycler. With two people (my wife and I) it was easy to handle. Got mine at Fleet Farm for about $85 a year and a half ago so inflation seems to have increased it but considering what a dealer would charge and the fact I'll have this the rest of my life made it worth while:

Last edited:
   / Waste Oil Handling, Got Grease? #5  
I left the used fluid in the plastic tote, sealed the lid on and around with 'duct tape', and took it to my friends in Pyengana who own/run a large cattle/sheep property. They use it to preserve the wood fencing and, like 5030, are glad to have it.

It's JD cartridge grease for me.

/ Waste Oil Handling, Got Grease? #6  
Have been on hold, before draining the 12 gallons of hydraulic fluid, thinking, how do we transfer it to the 5 gal buckets?
What does it get drained into? Thinking a plastic tote but not comfortable with 12 gallons in one flimsy tank.
Ideas?

Also, got grease? I like tubes but thinking of other ways of doing it...
Ended up waiting at a Tractor supply for the weekly shipment to get unloaded, picked up 10 tubes.
I called my Kubota dealer (where I bought my tractor) and asked him where to recycle the oil. He offered to take it at the service dept. and even gave me empty UDT2 pails to drain the old oil.
But now, I can find nowhere to take antifreeze. Probably should have had the dealer do that. I guess I need to call them back to see if they will take that also.

/ Waste Oil Handling, Got Grease? #7  
A buddy of mine has 2 oil extractor pumps he uses for auto's, and his tractors, and loves them.
Never been overly fond of any extractor device simply because they don't clean the bottom of the sump like pulling the drain plug when the oil is warm does. I always drain after the engine warms up and I leave the plug(s) out until all the drain oil is drained. Warm oil flows much better than cold and I always pull a sample as the oil is draining and send it off to Blackstone for analysis anyway.

/ Waste Oil Handling, Got Grease? #8  
I called my Kubota dealer (where I bought my tractor) and asked him where to recycle the oil. He offered to take it at the service dept. and even gave me empty UDT2 pails to drain the old oil.
But now, I can find nowhere to take antifreeze. Probably should have had the dealer do that. I guess I need to call them back to see if they will take that also.
If I remember correctly, my local county landfill had a special tank for antifreeze. Yours might, too.

/ Waste Oil Handling, Got Grease?
Got it done.
27qt plastic tote, put the front end up on ramps so it slid under the tranny center drain plugs.
For the wheel hub plugs used a large green malwart spouted oil drain pan (about 2 gal because it holds the Cummins 12v draining's). Dropped and drained the 2 hydraulic filters into the same pan.
Used 2each empty 5 gallon oil buckets for the drained fluids, used the spouted drain pan to transfer waste oil into the 5 gal buckets.
Used the recommended amount of tranny fluid to the halfway point of the watch glass, so pretty sure I got all the old fluid out.
My flavorite local auto repair garage burns waste oil for heat, they supply empty buckets and take the filled buckets.
Bonus, the two empty buckets are clean and pretty for any more waste oil. The 2.5 gallon jug has quite a bit in it for topping off the tranny if a hose springs a leak.
Thanks for the suggestions, still have a bunch of machinery to tend to, daylight is burning

/ Waste Oil Handling, Got Grease? #10  
I put three 5 gallon buckets or a drum down over the bank and have a drain pan I put a shower drain in. I run a piece of 2" pvc to the buckets or drum.

P1010655(2).jpg

WasteOil2.JPG

WasteOil4.JPG

gg