Oil & Fuel Water in Diesel Tank, please give me advice!

/ Water in Diesel Tank, please give me advice! #1  

Pushing_Tin

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I have a JD 2320, last week I put diesel in and then forgot to put the cap back on. Over the past week we've had about 4 inches of rain, and the tractor was uncovered outside.

Now before I realized this I started the tractor and moved it. It was running for about 2 minutes before I shut it off and realized what a moron I am. I did notice the engine sputter for about 5 seconds and some smoke came out, other than that it seemed to run fine.

I know there has to be at least a quart of water or more in there, am I okay with draining just the water out of the bottom of the tank? Do I need to drain the whole thing? Do I need to replace the fillter? Or should I just take it in to the dealer?

Thoughts and advice are appreciated!

/ Water in Diesel Tank, please give me advice! #2  
The water will be on the bottom of the tank. If you have a drain in the bottom, you should be able to get all of the water out. Just monitor what comes out until you are getting pure diesel.

/ Water in Diesel Tank, please give me advice!
The water will be on the bottom of the tank. If you have a drain in the bottom, you should be able to get all of the water out. Just monitor what comes out until you are getting pure diesel.

Okay thanks, I was worried about engine damage, but I guess it was okay since it was running when I shut it off.

/ Water in Diesel Tank, please give me advice! #4  
delete

Last edited:
   / Water in Diesel Tank, please give me advice! #5  
Check to see if your machine has a water separater. Its a pre-filter usually with a glass bowl. The amount of water you're talking about will be trapped there or in the sediment bowl of the main filter. Add some Diesel conditioner to the tank which can help emulsify the water. If you can see the water "bubble", modify a turkey baster and suck it out.

/ Water in Diesel Tank, please give me advice! #6  
I did the exact same thing two years ago. I drained the tank, put in a new filter, and bled the system. I used the old diesel for fire starter. I added fresh Diesel and some PowerService additive and two years later everything is still running strong.

Thanks for the help, more comments welcome! :)

/ Water in Diesel Tank, please give me advice! #8  
You do need to drain it, of course, and if you then want to use that diesel in the tractor, you can run it through a Mr. Funnel to remove the water.

/ Water in Diesel Tank, please give me advice! #9  
I would follow Birds advice. Then add some Diesel 911, Howes Diesel Treat and fill it up all the way with new fuel.

You do need to drain it, of course, and if you then want to use that diesel in the tractor, you can run it through a Mr. Funnel to remove the water.

Cool, never seen that before. Just ordered one.