Water in Front Axle??

/ Water in Front Axle?? #1  

Lacy0923

Tractor
Mahindra EX22 HIL
So my Father-in-law purchase a 2014 Mahindra EX22 HIL new in 2017 from the dealer. He only used it to blade his driveway and around the house for moving something. FFWD, he passed away in 2020 from COVID. The tractor has always been covered in a barn, has never been used in the rain much less in mud or anything else. I crank it every couple of months and it purrs like a kitten. A few weeks ago, I noticed an oily spot under the front left axle hub and it looked like the seal was leaking. I carried it back to the dealership to have it serviced and the seal replaced. Upon tearing it down they found the axle was FULL of WATER. The axle has never been opened or serviced. The Dealer suspects it may have been in a flood or hurricane while on the yard in Houston (odd he would suspect that, said he has seen it before). The tractor has a total of 89 hours on it. Dealer wants $4K in repairs. I tried calling Mahindra and got a quick run around. It is still under warranty for the Power train but it will not cover water damages.

Anybody have any recommendations?

/ Water in Front Axle?? #2  
Not knowing where your issue will go, be sure to save a baby jar worth of the oily substance. Tests may tell if the water is salty (flood water), or is chlorinated (vandals). I'm afraid this is going to be tough to find a satisfactory resolution.

/ Water in Front Axle?? #4  
Did you let them already do the repairs? I'd just change fluid and continue with life.
I think I'd be doing the same. With a couple oil changes, really what do you have to loose?

/ Water in Front Axle?? #5  
Did you let them already do the repairs? I'd just change fluid and continue with life.
This what I would do too. At some point in time some of the bearings will probably disintegrate but for the rest it'll be ok.

/ Water in Front Axle?? #6  
i would change the oil a couple times to get rid of the rust, if its not making noise, you might be ok.

/ Water in Front Axle?? #7  
A couple of different former Mahindra dealers told me they dropped them because corporate does not always back warranty claims. Tough on dealers if they cannot support customers without eating the loss or charging for work they feel should be covered.

/ Water in Front Axle?? #8  
This what I would do too. At some point in time some of the bearings will probably disintegrate but for the rest it'll be ok.
Exactly right. That is a slow moving vehicle. It's not like you'll be driving 80 mph to El Paso with it. Heck, it was all fine until they saw the water. Never had a clue anything was wrong. Sure, dealerships can create work, they are good at that. I'd roll on like a big dog with that critter. Bottom line, check fluids when you get something to your property. Shoulda been checked years ago. Water will leak out of a seal. Probably don't even need that. I'd even run 120 wt gear oil to stop that problem. Might have just told them it was water. Rinse it out and charge 4000 bucks Christmas party money. Can't trust anybody these days. I've worked a few stealerships as a mechanic. Ran a service truck around Little Rock,. Went to Dallas, all in between. I know what goes on in them places, and it ain't all good.