Oil & Fuel Water in Fuel

/ Water in Fuel #1  

dmartin88

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22, Bobcat 763H
Started my BX22 this morning, ran for about 2 minutes, then started belching white smoke, coughed, and died! I had topped off the fuel tank earlier in the week and now see that the vent cap on the container was open, had been setting outside while we received some torrential rains so assuming I got water in my fuel? Removed the fuel line just prior to the filter and have emptied the tank. Will go out later today and get new diesel. While I had the fuel line disconnected, I turned the engine over until the smoke stopped to clear the lines. Realize I will need to bleed the fuel line, manual says to turn the key to on for 30 seconds prior to starting the tractor. Anything else I should try before I add a bit of fuel and try to start again?

Thanks in advance.

/ Water in Fuel #2  
Personally, I'd change the fuel filter and put a new one in. If you don't have a new one, at least wash the old one in kerosene or diesel before putting it back on.

/ Water in Fuel #3  
Don't you have a water separator on your tractor? It's a great little item to have, for all you have to do is open it, if water is dripping out just wait for pure diesel to start flowing and close it.

Once you've gotten air in the lines (running out of fuel, disconnecting the fuel line, etc.) you've got yourself some work to do to get that engine started. Follow the instructions in the manual to the tee or you may get extremely frustrated.

/ Water in Fuel #4  
You'll need to remove the bowl that holds the fuel filter, remove the filter and rinse it in diesel. Some of those have a spring in the bottom to hold the filter against the top. You probably have a valve on the line exiting the filter. your manual will tell you how to adjust it to prevent the fuel. from draining back from the injectors. Do that before removing the bowl.

You should be good to go after following the directions to purge the air. There's no reason to disconnect any lines. Rather than wasting the fuel, I'd wait til it freezes and pick the ice out of the fuel you drained off and then use it.

/ Water in Fuel
Thanks, the fuel filter is in line with the fuel line so easy to remove but not sure if you can open it to clean it so looks like it must be replaced? I've read stories about how hard it is to get a diesel to run after it has run dry-- manual only says to run the pump 30 seconds to purge air, sounds easy but will see what happens.

Good tip on the old fuel, may just do that.

Thanks, hopefully I'll be back in business later today, will let you know.

/ Water in Fuel #6  
The BX series tractors have two in line fuel filters that closely resemble the small plastic filters that you find on small gasoline tractor or lawn mowers. The are throw away units and once they become contaminated, they can not be reused. I am careful to never put the last drop of fuel from a container into the tank unless I know that I just filled the container and that it was completely dry at the time. This isn't the first thread about the BX and fuel/water problems and it probably won't be the last. I have been looking for a water separator for the BX for a while now and have never found one that is small enough to fit into the fuel line where the line is accessible behind the tire. If you know of one, please recommend it... thanks ......

/ Water in Fuel #7  
Shows what I know about the BX tractors. I was speaking from experience with my 3710. I second the suggestions to ditch the filters and replace with new since they're the inline type. Racor makes a smaller series water separator but I suspect even they would be difficult to mount in an area where you could access them to remove the bowl and the filter.

/ Water in Fuel
Replaced both in line filters with new units, fresh fuel, turned key on for 30 seconds, engaged starter. One last puff of white smoke and kicked right over. No other problems. Will be more careful with my fuel can going forward. Thanks to all for the advice and I'll keep my eye out for a separator.

/ Water in Fuel #10  
On TBN someplace there was a funnel that was shown that actually took water out as you filled your tractor. Sounded to me like a good thing but can't find it now. When doing searchs my puter just locks up right now. Anyway I was thinking of buying one especially for diesel as it takes very little moisture to mess up.

murph