Water in fuel?

/ Water in fuel? #1  

walterc

Tractor
Kubota
I have an '02 Kubota B2710, and my mechanic friend says I should put a water separator in the fuel line or with the fuel filter, since I seem to have a lot of water in the fuel I buy. Looking for recommendations. Preferably with a link to order.

Thanks!!

Walt

/ Water in fuel? #2  
I'm surprised that your tractor didnt come with one. Carrying fuel in cans is a PITA. To help keep the water from getting into your fuel in the first place try a Mr Funnel Home. You also might consider adding some biocide to your fuel. Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide - Power Service Ijust spent 4 weekends cleaning the crap out of my tank and fuel lines, time that I should have spent doing other things.

/ Water in fuel?
That helps. Thanks.

/ Water in fuel? #4  
IMHO if I was buying diesel fuel & it had water in it I would not buy any more diesel from that fuel supplier. According to Kubota parts your tractor came from factory with a water separator filter very similar to my M7040

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.8 KB · Views: 86
   / Water in fuel?
Since the fuel is free, I'm ok with a little water if I can keep it out of the engine. I think my filter does separate the water, since the water stays in the bottom of the filer bowl, just no way of draining it without tearing it a part
Getting a Mr funnel will help tremendously.

/ Water in fuel? #6  
Do you fill from 5gal jugs or something more like a transfer pump? Golden rod makes a water blocking filter for transfer pumps. Mr funnel should work but is slow and can only take so much water.

I do think you should br trying to remove all of the crap/water in the fuel before it goes in your tractor.

Or you could just drain your fuel/water separator more often.

/ Water in fuel? #7  
I have several Mr Funnels, and they work well. I got about 250 gallons of free fuel several years ago. It was pretty dirty, so it got filtered at least 3 times prior to hitting the equipment tanks.
Unfortunately at the end of the 250g I dropped the ball and pumped water contaminated fuel into one of my mowers. It was a ROYAL PITA to resolve.
I think the Mr Funnel filters solids down to 150 microns (could be wrong). I would filter poor quality fuel with a 10 micron filter, water block filter, then use the Mr Funnel when fueling your machine. Do not rely on the water separator on the machine.

/ Water in fuel? #8  
It is prety easy to build a fuel polishing system. Old gas vehicle fuel pump, some hose and a water blocking filter. Let it pump and dump in a new barrel or pump and dump it back into its own barrel.

The longer term problem of water in the diesel is algee will form. That can burn through filters like there free.