Water in Indoor Arena

/ Water in Indoor Arena #21  
Just a couple of thoughts on riding surface materials - been through the same dilemma -

shredded tires - use caution with shredded tires due to the steel belts used in tires, a lot of rubber riding surfaces in arenas are ground up old tennis shoes

manure - only if you like flies - would strongly recommend you not use manure.

washed sand - sand is as good for the $$ As you can get IMHO. Just keep in mind there are generally two types one is sand that the grains are round and the other has edges both act differently and provide different support values. Keep in mind sand if ridden on a lot will break down into dust.

sand - best to use washed sand as unwashed will have clay/dirt and defeats the purpose of sand.

wood shavings/course saw dust - mix in a % of wood shavings is not a bad idea, BUT as you are aware no hardwood and do not over do it. The wood shavings do hold moisture well which will help keep the dust down when dampened, but the down side will be after a period of time and riding use they will decompose and will break down. So you'll have to add more with additional sand. Stay away from actual chips.

Our preference is sand with a bit of for sawdust from the local sawmill. We generally use fir as that is what is readily available to us and cheap - my little trailer holds about 10 cubic yards and runs me $ 10 to fill as we also use it in the stalls for bedding.

Good luck
Mike

I might as well ask what y'all think.[/QUOTE]

/ Water in Indoor Arena
Thanks for the fill tips, Mike. I wouldnt use manure either. I heard a recommendation for it but never took it seriously.

My current thoughts are leaning toward washed sand with no sawdust to see how that works. I could always add it later.

As to the water I'm still waiting to see is it goes down now that we aren't getting so much rain, and now that I got standing water outside one corner of the arena drained away with a culvert and a length of shallow ditch.

/ Water in Indoor Arena #23  
Last time got footing it was special sand with additives 25k on sale.

Not cheap.

Do not use concrete sand or construction sand.

What do you do in the arena?

What times of year?

Will frozen footing be a problem for youl

/ Water in Indoor Arena
Last time got footing it was special sand with additives 25k on sale.

Not cheap.

Do not use concrete sand or construction sand.

What do you do in the arena?

What times of year?

Will frozen footing be a problem for youl

They will ride and exercise horses, but no jumping. Probably mostly in the winter or bad weather.

As long as the top few inches are not frozen, I think it would be alright, but I'm no horse expert.

/ Water in Indoor Arena #25  
Do you have an arena rake?

/ Water in Indoor Arena #27  
Don't go cheap just to save some money.

As horses go around the arena they will tend to work the footing towards the edge.

A arena rake needs to mix the footing, profile the surface to keep it flat, fluff it up so it doesn't become too compact, and move material from the edge to the center.

A cheap drag or box blade are the wrong tools for the job.

We tried a couple different things and ended up with a TR3 for the past 10+ years. Google TR3 arena rake

You will also need to water the footing to keep the dust down. Recommend wetting it, let the water settle in a bit and then hit it with the rake.

Since you already have some kind of footing. What kind of footing do you already have?

Whatever your footing is, I would recommend hitting it with a good rake a few times to get it reconditioned before you decide to hate it.

That is unless it is construction or concrete sand, that stuff is terrible for an indoor.

/ Water in Indoor Arena #28  
I might as well ask what y'all think.

I think this is the shredded rubber my neighbor used. Mixed it with sand but don't remember proportions. You might talk to the people who build arenas, they see what people put down for surfaces. I talked to the companies that put up those large fabric arenas at the Midwest horse fair last year, they mentioned the only solution they've seen for dust is to spray the sand with sunflower oil, but it's really expensive. I wouldn't buy anything unless you can see it and try it first. Get on some horse forums and see if someone close will let you stop by for a visit.

/ Water in Indoor Arena
If has been about 10 days since I posted the pics of the water in the arena. All the standing water is gone now.

I think it will be fine to just add fill and not insstall French drains.

Now I just have to decide what to use. I'm inclined to use washed sand.