water in low octane gas

/ water in low octane gas #11  
My Stihl dealer tells me that they have few issues with saws that run premium fuel vs those that run regular 87 octane. I started using premium in all my little 2-cycle engines along with high quality 2-cycle oil. Cheaper than repair costs and down time.

/ water in low octane gas #12  
Shouldn't be to hard to believe. Simple science. Ethanol attracts water, it's hygroscopic. Your science project for the weekend is to get some gas and some alcohol. Get two glass jars and pour some gas in one and alcohol in the other. Then pour some water in each. The water sinks to the bottom of the jar with gas and completely mixes with the alcohol. Now dump some of the water/alcohol mix into the gas jar. The two will now mix together and if you add enough of it the water already in the jar will mix into solution. If left to set for a period of time a portion of the water will settle out.

yep.. gotta love that polar solvent ( alcohol)...

soundguy

/ water in low octane gas #13  
i was told at the chainsaw shop to always use 93 or 94 and some brands are better than others, but mainly for the added detergets. for the amount i use, i can afford 1/2 gal of expensive gas. also had problems with the ethonol crappy gas disolving fuel lines.

/ water in low octane gas #14  
the higher the octane, the more pre detonation qualities it has.. less volatile.. and harder to start.

eny of your weed whackers or chainsaws have spark knock or pinging like a high hp super high rpm v8's?

I fin'd it hard to believe a small engine running correct plug heat range has any need for anything over 87 octane.. heck.. most gasser tractors from the old days are used to 70's octane.. etc.. and they ran in the 6.5:1 comp ratio area with governed rpms 3000 and less.

soundguy