Water in the fuel

/ Water in the fuel #11  
Yes, whether your tank holds 60 gallons or 6000 gallons you will get water. And just like in the large tank you need to draw your fuel a bit up from the low point and have a small petcock on the very lowest point to drain any water. It's all in the tilt of the tank Don't forget to first drain the water, then fuel up your machine.

/ Water in the fuel #12  
One thing ive notice is now that i use plastic "cans" instead of metal, i have less water accumulating in the gas cans. Im thinking partly because the gas container is sealed and doesn't breath.

/ Water in the fuel #13  
Dear Carl,

I have used the Mr. Funnel when I had some fuel of unknown provenance, but I don't use it routinely. My diesel is never more than six weeks old, and the tractor is used regularly.

I have had water in fuel issues from commercial gas stations, once out in the Mojave, leading credibility to the condensation explanation. My two cents is that I try only to buy from a station that either serves big rigs, or does a lot of business.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Water in the fuel
It condensation and the occassional drip of rain. I left the barrel empty since las August so a recipe for disaster. There was around a gallon or two of diesel in the bottom so I could not tell if it had water.

Last year was my first year for large gallon storage. Guess I learned.

/ Water in the fuel #15  
Dear Carl,

Given California's environmental and earthquake safety laws, I haven't gone to large volume storage, but almost all of the farmers I know that do store significant volumes have a point of dispensing filter, usually with a clear bottom to be able to see water in the fuel. Just a thought.

All the best,

Peter

/ Water in the fuel #16  
My JD650 tractor is not starting. The exhaust is emitting white smoke when turning over the ignition. Is this a sign of water in the fuel?

/ Water in the fuel #17  
White smoke at starting is probably uncombusted diesel fuel. White smoke while running tends to be coolant in the exhaust.

Since water is very damaging to diesel pumps/injectors, I wouldn't crank my engine to find out. I would look in the tank and verify it, or change the fuel filter (Check for water afterwards!), or both.

The primary issue with water is that the clearances are very tight in diesel pumps/injectors and it doesn't provide enough lubrication, which can cause severe wear.

All the best,

Peter

/ Water in the fuel #18  
Thank you ponytug. I got my JD650 running again for a few hours and then it seemed to starve itself of fuel and is once again in a non-starting mode. Any suggestions out there, as you can tell I am not a mechanical genius.

/ Water in the fuel #19  
Dear Euhippus,

I would have a look through the fuel system. Did you check the fuel filter when you removed for water or gunk? I would try putting a new one on, after cutting open the old one to see what was in it.

If it was running well, and then died with the same symptoms, I would suspect that not all of the water was removed from the fuel. On some JDs, there is a clear drain bowl that you can see the water.

All the best,

Peter

Thank you ponytug. I got my JD650 running again for a few hours and then it seemed to starve itself of fuel and is once again in a non-starting mode. Any suggestions out there, as you can tell I am not a mechanical genius.