Water In Transmission, How Did It Get There?

/ Water In Transmission, How Did It Get There? #11  
Yea your clutch disk could be completely shot to where it is has no lining left and it's just metal to metal and it will not go fwd or reverse, now like Tig mentioned if you can't roll it in neutral then you may not be so lucky with the tranny.

/ Water In Transmission, How Did It Get There?
Is the clutch suppose to be dry or in some sort of liquid? What's the drain plug under the housing for, if it's suppose to be dry?

thanks,
Ralph

/ Water In Transmission, How Did It Get There? #13  
Rameck said:
Is the clutch suppose to be dry or in some sort of liquid? What's the drain plug under the housing for, if it's suppose to be dry?

thanks,
Ralph

It is suppose to be dry, but it has a drain plug in case water gets in there.
Oil can get in there too if a seal goes bad.

Vic

/ Water In Transmission, How Did It Get There?
Thanks Vic. I get the best education here. I've never worked on a clutch before and wouldn't even know what it's suppose to look like or how to fix it once I do get it apart but I think, I will try it later on this summer. To many other projects right now and have another tractor to use if needed. Just checked another thread where someone is reparing their clutch with some pictures on what it looks like. The pictures are helpful. Will keep watching the threads to get a better understanding on what to do. Great site.

Thanks,
Ralph

/ Water In Transmission, How Did It Get There? #15  
If you plan on splitting the tractor yourself be extremely carefull , this task is very dangerous if you do'nt have the right gear in your shop . You really need some heavy axle stands or good sized wooden blocks to prop the rear half of the tractor . You could use a floor jack to wheel the front away but thats very dangerous too as its hard to keep the jack steering straight ahead . The best way is to make a tram track out of 1 1/2'' angle iron to lay under the front half (lengthways) and make a steel trolley using old bearings as wheels (4) and then use a wide based bottle jack to take the weight . The trolley and bottle jack carries the rear of the front half as it is wheeled forward . Do'nt forget to chock the rear wheels (front and back) and if possible use chains onto the roof beams of the shed (if they are strong enough) to catch it if anything goes wrong .